Race Across America, Anyone Watching?

gpriatko

Feb 24, 2005
It's day-3 and the leaders are in Colorado.

Jure Robic has covered 1100 miles at an average pace of 15.6 mph.

The rider postion web page is here: http://raceacrossamerica.org/racestats/report.aspx?report=RacePosition

The race profile is here: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/files/route/pre2005profile.jpg

I wish that there was coverage on OLN. Every time I hear one of the OLN commentators describing TDF as 'The most grueling race in cycling' I just have to laugh. I'm sure that TDF is damned hard but these ultacycling events are inconceivable to me.

Been keeping an eye on Team Landis Phoenix, they were on our show last week. It's suppose to be @ 110 here in Phoenix today and several solo riders dropped out yesterday. Look like Arizona thru Colorado has been brutal. Hard to believe this is the 24th year for RAAM. They get hardly any coverage

Ive been following online, I guess well have to wait until winter and hope nbc does another show on it.

spacefuzz said:
Ive been following online, I guess well have to wait until winter and hope nbc does another show on it.
I can't believe how bad the HPV guys are getting spanked... I would have thought they would have been much more competitive with the uprights if not beating them:confused:

Yeah, these riders are amazing. I'd love to see some stuff on TV but I guess we'll have to wait for some documentary thing in many months to see it. They pass about an hour from my house in a few days and I'd love to go see them, but I imagine it's next to impossible to time it right and figure out when a rider might be coming by - not to mention it's probably a little anti-climactic (for the observer on the side of the road that is).

I agree that I would have guessed that the average speed for the HPV teams would be a little higher but is 19.5 and 20.0 mph bad?

The teams are miles behind the leaders but they started two days later.

Mark Willis said:
I can't believe how bad the HPV guys are getting spanked... I would have thought they would have been much more competitive with the uprights if not beating them:confused:
Remember the HPV's are in the hills of Colorado. Wait till they hit the Plains and watch their times.

Oh my God!

From www.raceacrossamerica.org

"RAAM Suffers The Tragic Loss of One of its Greats
With profound regret, Race Across America announces that Bob Breedlove, competitor #188, collided head-on with a pickup truck at approximately 12.15 p.m. EDT, on June 23, 28 miles west of Trinidad, Colorado. When paramedics arrived on the scene they pronounced him dead."

That's just tragic. What an absolute loss. The other guys in the race must be just floored. What a mental and emotional shock they must be going through.

Chris

chrispopovic said:
That's just tragic. What an absolute loss. The other guys in the race must be just floored. What a mental and emotional shock they must be going through.

Chris

Yeah, kinda tough I would imagine to deal with on top of everything else. Tragic on many levels, including the person that hit him (I would consider the driver a victim as well).

Is this the first time anyone has died in the race?

Brett Malin died in 2003 when he was hit by a semi. thats so sad abour breedlove, riders just shouldnt die like that.

Yeah, kinda tough I would imagine to deal with on top of everything else. Tragic on many levels, including the person that hit him (I would consider the driver a victim as well).
I agree. It's hard to imagine how his family and friends are feeling; and you're right about the driver.

This is a great race and I admire the riders but I don't know what to do about the risks.

I'm in Arizona and RAAM went right through my little town, Chino Valley, I did get up a few hours early and did ride with Mike Trevino, now in second place. I took the day off from work just for this and it made my day! :D
To bad about Bob Breedlove. I feel for his family and the guy who was in the pick up truck... how sad.
Have you all checked out the photos? Great shots.

wilmar13 said:

Is this the first time anyone has died in the race?

This was indeed a terrible tragedy, I can't even imagine how Dr Bob's Family and Friends are feeling right now...

Incidentaly, he was hit by a 15 year old unlicensed Driver....

Jaguar27 said:
Incidentaly, he was hit by a 15 year old unlicensed Driver....

Well from what I read, I would say Dr. Bob, hit him...where did you read he was 15yo ul driver???

Wow talk about freaking out, you are sneaking a drive in the old mans truck and a cyclist runs into you head on...

wow this is just amazing that someone can do this, and i read somethign about one of the people competed 17 times in a row without dropping out at all, that is just inhuman.

think of it this way for the guy who died, at least he went doing something that he loves with his whole heart.

The first team will finish in a few hours, they're only 65 miles from Atlantic City.

Jure has about 400 miles to go.

It's fun to read the rider's bios.

The youngest rider is 18,
Your personal most cherished athletic feat:
I think my most cherished athletic feat has been finishing the Iditasport Extreme. It was a 350-mile winter race in February, on the Iditarod Trail. We crossed the Alaska Mountain Range on a dog sled trail, at night, in a blizzard, at -20 degrees, after 25 hours of straight racing. We had to push our loaded bikes through deep snow for over 180 miles. I got to do it with my dad. I was only 14 at the time and it is still the hardest thing I have ever done. Temperatures dipped to -45 degrees during the race. We were able to experience each other's highs and lows and push each other through the bad times

Then there's Frank Haase from the Webcore Team
Cycle racing history
In the past 365 days I raced more than 200 races against the clock to get to work on time. Other than that I biked from Alaska to Land Of Fire, more than 20,000 miles in 7 months. Then there was Germany-Africa-Germany in three weeks and there was Cologne-Paris-Cologne (600 miles) in two days. I competed for the first time in an Olympic distance triathlon last year and had the fastest bike split.
That Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego in 7 months. He must have been riding a century ever day.

Quick question:
I had assumed that the teams of riders just needed one guy on the road while the other three took a break... I read something that mentioned drafting so now I am wondering if someone can tell me the strategy the 4-man teams use? Do they keep two on the road to draft off each other? Are there times when all 4 are riding together? Are they constantly trying to optimize rest and drafting by changing the # of riders?