(Race)-Cycling in Croatia

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Thorben Grosser, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Hy NG, my parents want me to go with them to Croatia for 2 weeks. But because I don't like that much
    beaches and this stuff, I am thinking about carrying my Koga with me and doing some kilometers
    through this country. But I have some quesitons:
    - Are there streets (sure there are, but I am a bit lazy, so, are there normal streets like we
    european know them)
    - Is there criminality (sure there is, but will they kill me to get my bike?)

    Any other hints or problems in croatia?`

    thanks from Luxembourg (Kirchen, Joachim, Schleck, we rule) Thorben

    --
    Thorben Grosser Silly moose from elsewhere www.iceberg.lu - [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. 25 Jun 2003 23:31:53 +0200, Thorben Grosser <[email protected]> nawrote:

    >my parents want me to go with them to Croatia for 2 weeks.

    Good choice. Which area?

    >But because I don't like that much beaches and this stuff, I am thinking about carrying my Koga
    >with me and doing some kilometers through this country.

    Even better choice. :) Koga - road or MTB?

    >But I have some quesitons:
    >- Are there streets (sure there are, but I am a bit lazy, so, are there normal streets like we
    > european know them)

    No, we live in a country with huge amount of launchpads and heliodroms. Also, we levitate around. We
    don't even THINK of touching the ground. Whadayathink??

    >- Is there criminality

    Yes, some.

    >(sure there is, but will they kill me to get my bike?)

    But, anyway, don't let your bike unlocked & unattended. And, BTW, _I'll_ kill you and take your bike
    if it's Koga Miyata Full Pro S or Monocoque. ;-)))))

    >Any other hints or problems in croatia?`

    - Potholes.
    - Heavy traffic + (so-so) narrow roads.
    - Not-so-many bicycle repair shops. (anyway, try http://hrb.migimage.com/Trg_HR.html for full list)
    - Heavy traffic on main roads.
    - Weak traffic on side roads.
    - Domestic drivers are careless to cyclists.
    - Excuisite views, excellent meals and beverages.
    - In Dalmatian hinterland (Zadar, Sibenik and Dubrovnik area) there are some mine-field
    leftovers. If not sure, DON'T take that
    "oh-so-nice-singletrack-which-takes-me-to-that-bombed-down-village-ruins". (If you're in that
    area, ask in local tourist-info office about mine-fields. If not there - forget about it,
    it's safe.)
    - Dalmatia, hinterland and islands: snakes.
    - Heat. Up to 45 degrees Celsius on sunny side of the road. Up to 40 on shady side. :)
    - In Istria: Favorit pivo (beer) - avoid it. ANY other is OK. Even mineral water is a better beer
    than THAT.
    - If you see a girl(s)/guy(s) in white-black-red jersey with cogs, "@" and "hr.rec.bicikli" on it -
    say "Hi" to us. We don't bite. Usually.
    :) Merely Megabyte. :)

    Did I mention heavy traffic and narrow roads?
    --
    [email protected]

    Lazyness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.