Race Day Boost ?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by old&slow, Aug 10, 2003.

1. old&slow

old&slow New Member

I've only ever used the common sports drinks and I am interested in opinions on gels, powders or whatever that riders have found to provide a noticeable boost. I do mean legal, non side effect type stuff - any thoughts appreciated.

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Most of these are useful towards the end of a 1.5 hour + race, to prevent glycogen depletion. They tend to prevent fatigue rather than boost perfromance. I have had some success with gels, but needed a while to practice with them. I found I needed to up the water intake a little.

3. SCOOBA STEVE

SCOOBA STEVE New Member

i find that drinking a mix of 50% flat diet coke & 50% water keeps me going a bit longer on a big ride + it takes great

4. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

In races of 3hrs+, if I'm in contention for a good result I either have a 500ml bottle of flat Coke (if someone is there to hand it to me) or a handful of Jelly Babies (sugary sweets) in the final 30mins or so.

5. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Why not nibble on food or drink coke (but preferably an energy drink) for the duration of the event?

You would be far less likely to have troughs and peaks in performance; therefore you wouldn't need a 'boost' at the end of the race.

6. clayperez

clayperez New Member

I have heard of a lot of people taking simple sugar foods such as jelly beans or a candy bar 3/4 through a big race for a quick boost in energy, but what benifit do candies such as these have over something like raisins which have a lot of "quick" sugars in them as well?

7. old&slow

old&slow New Member

Thanks for those ideas. After a bit of discussion I'm trying some PowerBar Gel immediately before race start with Glucodine in straight water during racing - that's pure sugar energy - and normal sports drink after race. The Glucodine mix seems like the next best thing to rocket fuel. I've only tested it once and it seems effective in reducing that flat fatigue feeling I get after 40 or so hard km.
    I know it's a complex argument, but anyone had any particular positive or negative experience with creatine or protein powder type muscle growth supplements ?

8. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Creatin wouldnt be any good for endurance racing.Would be better used in the gym and for track sprinting events.

9. 1x1

1x1 New Member

Try giving the folks at Hammer nutrition a call. They are located in Whitefish, Montana and really know their stuff. They can be found on the web @ www.e-caps.com. I have had great results with their gel and endurolytes. good luck!

10. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

I'm concerned with some of their claims (e.g., ATP 100) as there is no evidence to support this. Some of their other science is incorrect too.

Ric

11. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

This is in addition to my carbo drink and eating a cereal bar.

12. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Do you find they give you a significant lift when taken in addition to the above?

13. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

If I'm feeling very fatigue then they do make me more mentally alert and able to concentrate on last minute tactics. Whether they give me any extra kick in the legs is debateable!

14. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Seems like your nutritional strategy is pretty sound!

15. fuelrider

fuelrider New Member

I've used this product for some time. Huge long term energy (about 3-4 hours). I need you picky guys to tell me if anything here is illegal:

Charge Plus 2 Powder
    Serving Size: 1 rounded tablespoon (16 grams)
    Ingredient

Amount
    per serving%DV
    Calories
    Total Carbohydrates
    12 g
    Sugars
    12 g
    Vitamin A
    2500 IU
    Vitamin B-1
    1.5 mg
    Vitamin B-2
    3.4 mg
    Niacin
    80 mg
    Pantothenic Acid
    50 mg
    Vitamin B-6
    16 mg
    Vitamin B-12
    20 mcg
    Vitamin C
    300 mg
    Vitamin E
    60 IU
    Folate
    100 mcg
    Copper
    500 mcg
    Zinc
    3.75 mg
    Chromium
    25 mcg
    Caffeine
    80 mg
    Glycine
    200 mg
    Taurine
    200 mg
    L-Phenylalanine
    600 mg
    L-Pyroglutamic Acid
    250 mg
    Garcinia cambogia
    400 mg

Other ingredients: Fructose, artificial flavor grapeskin et, citric acid, sodium citrate, silicon dioxide.

16. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

I'm a big fan of Gu energy gel. The packets are small and easy to handle and seem to reach the bloodstream in 10 minutes or so.

One packet 20-30 min before you begin your ride and one packet every 30-45 minutes thereafter goes a long way toward staving off fatigue and bonk.

As for a pre-ride "boost"?? Coca Cola aka sugar and caffine.......though the diuretic effect can be undesireable.

Prometheus.

17. kiwiboy

kiwiboy New Member

In ironman races where nutrition is the key to the race itself. I found many pro's drinking coca cola pretty much from the start.
    They would mix it with water to a certain concentration.
    If the concentration is to much it sits in your stomach and goes no where, you feel bloated, to much water and you end up peeing to much. Along with this many use products like GU.
    Practice makes a champ.