Race day Carbon rims: why change pads and not just change shoes?c

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fabiosav, May 13, 2006.

1. fabiosav

fabiosav New Member

I would seem to me swaping out the entire shoes when you go from aulim to carbon would be a lot easier then messing around wedging in new pads. Is this a bad idea?

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I agree. Especially since you most likely need to loosen the bolts for the shoes to adjust for the different rims.
    :cool:

3. schmuzzy

schmuzzy New Member

the only problem is getting campy to just sell you the empty pad holders.

i had this idea about 3 months ago...

and am still waiting for the left one.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Same here - it was such a bear to swap out pads that I went looking for the mounts for my Chorus brakes. Still looking...

What good is being able to replace parts if you can't get them?

5. Flatscan

Flatscan New Member

If you don't mind non-Campy parts, there are after-market cartridge brake shoes available, e.g. Kool Stop. Competitive Cyclist also stocks Campy Record brake shoes.

6. fabiosav

fabiosav New Member

Any one have any thoughts on the Zipp Carbon/Alum compatible? they claim to do both...

7. gregkeller

gregkeller New Member

The zipps do both, and work well. But i think the reason for switching is that when you are riding the aluminum wheels, little slivers of aluminum are getting embedded into the brake pad material, then when you put your carbon rims on those slivers cut up the clearcoat and carbon fiber. I guess you could probably sand the pads or something, or get your hands on some shoes like jagwire makes.

8. SLClimber

SLClimber New Member

Here's some info I got on using pads on different wheels etc. I spoke with the guys at Swissstop and Reynolds for this information. I'm making the move to Swissstop Yellow King this week hopefully! :) Finally no squeaky brakes.

Although you can go from Carbon wheels to Aluminum wheels, it is not advisable to go back to Carbon wheels using the same pads. The pads can have hidden particles of metal from the aluminum which will destroy your wheels. Even though some rides do the switch with a simple clean it's not recommended and is still risky. Have the Swissstop Green pads for the Aluminum wheels or maybe even another set of Yellow on there.

When installing the SWISSSTOP Yellow King make sure you clean the wheels per the following directions from Chris at Reynolds Wheels. My Roval Rapide Classique wheels are essentially Reynolds Carbon Clinchers built on Roval hubs.
    1. Remove the tire and tube
    2. Using a 3M Scotchbrite Cleaning Pad and Acetone (pure Acetone from a hardware store) scuff up the brake track
    3. Use rubbing alochol and a towel to clean the residue from the wheel
    4. If your brakes allow toe in set up a toe in using a dime at the back of the pad (on both sides) so that it touches at the front.
    Once you are on the new pads you don't need to keep doing this process. It is just to ensure there are no particles left from the old brake compound.