Race Face Cranks - Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by W A S A T C H, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. As a gift I received a Race Face Prodigy XC and Race Face SRX bottom bracket. I have always ridden
    Shimano cranks, so I am a little reluctant to install these. Should I return this crankset to the
    shop an purchase a Shimano XT crankset? Do any of the shop owners/bike mechanics out there have any
    experience with these cranksets? Which one is preferred over the other?

    Thanks for your help,

    Nate

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "W A S A T C H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As a gift I received a Race Face Prodigy XC and Race Face SRX bottom bracket. I have always ridden
    > Shimano cranks, so I am a little reluctant
    > install these. Should I return this crankset to the shop an purchase a Shimano XT crankset? Do any
    > of the shop owners/bike mechanics out there
    have
    > any experience with these cranksets? Which one is preferred over the
    other?

    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Nate

    If I were riding XT, and someone gave a RaceFace to replace it, I would kneel down and kiss
    their feet.

    Chris (RaceFace Next LP, RaceFace Taperlock BB)

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:25:08 -0700, "W A S A T C H"
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >As a gift I received a Race Face Prodigy XC and Race Face SRX bottom bracket. I have always ridden
    >Shimano cranks, so I am a little reluctant to install these. Should I return this crankset to the
    >shop an purchase a Shimano XT crankset? Do any of the shop owners/bike mechanics out there have any
    >experience with these cranksets? Which one is preferred over the other?

    I accidentally acquired a RaceFace crank set in a pile of used parts; I like it a lot. I haven't
    tried their BBs, but I'd expect them to be good. Your mileage may vary; opinions are highly
    subjective.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  4. Waldo

    Waldo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    I'd say it's hardly worth returning. The Prodigy is Race Face's budget line, and I'd say it's still on par with LX/XT. I like it for a couple reasons-they're Canadian, amde by good guys, and it's not Shimano. Never had any customers with a problem with any Race Face product.