race fees variation

sku

Guest
I'm sure this has come up before in this group. But, I am wondering if
someone can help me understand why there is such variation in race fees for
similar races in the same geographic area. Cases in point: Memphis in May
has upped its fee to $95 (and that's with early registration); St. Anthony's
early registration fee is $115! Yet, the Over the Mountain triathlon in
North Carolina is $55. I've done Memphis 4 times, Over the Mountain once,
and my wife did St. Anthony's in '03.
They are all olympic distance. There may be a little bit more support for
the racers in the big-time race at St. Anthony's, but not anything
noticeably different like when you do an Ironman. They are all nice races.
So, the only explanation I can come up with is that because St. Anthony's is
in a larger metropolitan area, it needs to be more expensive. But, twice as
much as a race in North Carolina? And what about Memphis? I love Mempis
in May, I think it's a great race. But, there is nothing special that you
get as a racer (in comparison with Over the Mountain) that should make it so
much more expensive. Plus, they have a major sponsor this year in Subaru.
It may seem like I'm whining about race fees (ok, maybe a little), but, what
I am really trying to find out is why such variation? So, if someone has
experience with race direction and can help us understand, that would be
great. Because otherwise, what I'm seeing is this...St. Anthony's 2800
racers (had at least that many in '04) times $115 each (assuming 100% of
racers register early) = $322,000. Many of the support crew are volunteers.
Many of the products given to racers are donated. On the surface, it
appears greedy.
Thanks
-Kevin

In article <[email protected]>,
"sku" <[email protected]> wrote:

> great. Because otherwise, what I'm seeing is this...St. Anthony's 2800
> racers (had at least that many in '04) times $115 each (assuming 100% of
> racers register early) = $322,000. Many of the support crew are volunteers.
> Many of the products given to racers are donated. On the surface, it
> appears greedy.

Some of it may have to do with how much they get charged for permits and
police traffic control, etc. Some of it is profit. From what I hear, the
non-M-dot Ironman races are just as good, and many of them are half the
price and have 1/3 or less the number of competitors. WTC is making some
money, that's for sure.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

"sku" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm sure this has come up before in this group. But, I am wondering
> if someone can help me understand why there is such variation in race
> fees for similar races in the same geographic area. Cases in point:
> Memphis in May has upped its fee to $95 (and that's with early
> registration); St. Anthony's early registration fee is $115! Yet, the
> Over the Mountain triathlon in North Carolina is $55. I've done
> Memphis 4 times, Over the Mountain once, and my wife did St. Anthony's
> in '03. They are all olympic distance. There may be a little bit more
> support for the racers in the big-time race at St. Anthony's, but not
> anything noticeably different like when you do an Ironman. They are
> all nice races. So, the only explanation I can come up with is that
> because St. Anthony's is in a larger metropolitan area, it needs to be
> more expensive. But, twice as much as a race in North Carolina? And
> what about Memphis? I love Mempis in May, I think it's a great race.

Also just plain supply and demand. If you've got a site that can handle
400 participants, then you want to set the price at the point that
maximizes the $'s you get from those 400 participants. If in a large
metro area you can set the price at $125 and sell all 400 slots then you
will do so. If however you have a smaller area (like Shelby lets say) and
you set the price at $125 you are likley not to sell all slots so you
reduce the price to the point that you generally have participants to
number just over the number of slots available.

Van

sku <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm sure this has come up before in this group. But, I am wondering if
>someone can help me understand why there is such variation in race fees for
>similar races in the same geographic area. Cases in point: Memphis in May
>has upped its fee to $95 (and that's with early registration); St. Anthony's
>early registration fee is $115! Yet, the Over the Mountain triathlon in
>North Carolina is $55. I've done Memphis 4 times, Over the Mountain once,
>and my wife did St. Anthony's in '03.
>They are all olympic distance. There may be a little bit more support for

Alcatraz will be $301 this year. SoCal has many 80-100$ sprint events.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com