Race for the white jersey

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John S, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    one hope he does.

    Tags:

  2. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > one hope he does.

    I expect Karpets will neither be nailed nor
    vacuumed in the TT.

    M.

  3. John Tezel

    John Tezel Guest

    John S wrote:

    > So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > one hope he does.

    Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French, puts
    on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero, even
    has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering him
    on to hold on and win...

    Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?

    Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time some
    of the other young riders get some recognition.

  4. SMMB

    SMMB Guest

    "John Tezel" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]
    > Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time some
    > of the other young riders get some recognition.

    Do you take courses to be so mean-spirited ?

    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy
    Paris FR

  5. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "SMMB" wrote...

    > Do you take courses to be so mean-spirited ?

    I didn't take that as mean-spirited, but then I'm not in France. Tezel had
    a point.

  6. SevenCyclesRule

    SevenCyclesRule New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004

    Lucky break away or not 10 days in yellow is very impressive. Okay so he was yo-yoing off the back I watched the tour he busted his hump to stay in yellow. Not only do I think Voeckler deserves the white jersey I will be very upset if he doesn’t get it.

  7. Michael wrote:

    > "John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    >>Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    >>one hope he does.

    > I expect Karpets will neither be nailed nor
    > vacuumed in the TT.

    He will get swept up by his minute man.

  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    > > "John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > >>Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > >>one hope he does.

    > > I expect Karpets will neither be nailed nor
    > > vacuumed in the TT.

    > He will get swept up by his minute man.

    He's young yet. Perhaps next year we'll be talking
    about rolling out the red Karpets.

    M.

  9. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    John Tezel <[email protected]>...
    > John S wrote:
    > > So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > > Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > > one hope he does.

    > Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French, puts
    > on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero, even
    > has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    > get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering him
    > on to hold on and win...
    > Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    > this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?
    > Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time some
    > of the other young riders get some recognition.

    Word. The chicks dig Karpets too -- he's a Russian Cipo.
    Karpets will vaccuum the floor with Voeckler at Saturday's ITT.
    Karpets deserve the maillot blanc. (are my tenses correct Steve?)

    -Ken

  10. On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:46:53 GMT, John Tezel <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >John S wrote:
    >
    >> So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    >> Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    >> one hope he does.

    >Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French,

    Lucky?
    > puts
    >on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero, even
    >has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    >get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering him
    >on to hold on and win...
    >
    >Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    >this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    >group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    >Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?

    Has Karpets ever attacked in this race?

    JT

  11. John Tezel <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French, puts
    > on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero, even
    > has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    > get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering him
    > on to hold on and win...

    > Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    > this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?

    The rightful winner of the white jersey is the one that gets
    to Paris with the lowest time on GC. Breakaways count, and
    Voeckler worked in his breakaway BTW. I didn't see Karpets's
    team chasing.

    But Karpets has pretty awesome rock star hair, so if he does
    take the jersey it will not be a pure tragedy. Oh, and if he's
    really that good, he'll get his TV time eventually.

    Ben

    P.S. As far as the ITT, Karpets beat both Casar and Voeckler
    in the prologue ...

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (K. J. Papai) wrote:

    > John Tezel <[email protected]>...
    > > John S wrote:
    > > > So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > > > Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > > > one hope he does.

    > > Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French, puts
    > > on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero, even
    > > has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    > > get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering him
    > > on to hold on and win...
    > > Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    > > this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > > group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > > Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?
    > > Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time some
    > > of the other young riders get some recognition.

    > Word. The chicks dig Karpets too -- he's a Russian Cipo.
    > Karpets will vaccuum the floor with Voeckler at Saturday's ITT.
    > Karpets deserve the maillot blanc. (are my tenses correct Steve?)

    Do you remember what you were writing about Voeckler on Wed., July 14?

    jyh.

    PS. Not that I disagree that Karpets will most likely be in the front
    after the ITT, but could you show a minimum of respect for the guy?

    ------------

    From: "Ken Papai" <[email protected]>
    Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
    Subject: Re: Where will Lance pick up the 9:35 on Voeckler?

    "[email protected]
    > Voeckler is supposed to be a decent climber, not a sprinter who will
    > necessarily get dropped as the hills get steeper -- and he has a big lead
    > on Lance. Do the rbr tour mavens think this potential threat can be
    > discounted with a wave of the hand, or could it become an unpleasant
    > surprise for LA?

    Voeckler will be the answer to the French-wearing, maillot jaune
    on Bastille Day trivia question after Friday's stage.

    He will be 30+ minutes back after Saturday's.

    -KJP

    jean-yves herve' /\
    Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail --> [email protected]
    and Statistics /\
    University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. --> (401) 874-4400
    Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. --> (401) 874-4617
    USA \/

  13. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (K. J. Papai) wrote:
    >
    > > John Tezel <[email protected]>...

    for

    > > > Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French,

    puts
    > > > on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero,

    even
    > > > has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get

    dropped,
    > > > get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering

    him
    > > > on to hold on and win...
    > > > Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young

    rider
    > > > this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > > > group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > > > Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at

    all?
    > > > Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time

    some
    > > > of the other young riders get some recognition.

    > > Word. The chicks dig Karpets too -- he's a Russian Cipo.
    > > Karpets will vaccuum the floor with Voeckler at Saturday's ITT.
    > > Karpets deserve the maillot blanc. (are my tenses correct Steve?)

    > Do you remember what you were writing about Voeckler on Wed., July 14?

    Yes, I said Voekler will lose 40 minutes to Lance. CHECK THAT OFF!

    So -- what are you talking about???????????

    -Ken

    > jyh.
    >
    > PS. Not that I disagree that Karpets will most likely be in the front
    > after the ITT, but could you show a minimum of respect for the guy?
    >
    > ------------

    > From: "Ken Papai" <[email protected]>
    > Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
    > Subject: Re: Where will Lance pick up the 9:35 on Voeckler?
    >
    > "[email protected]
    > > Voeckler is supposed to be a decent climber, not a sprinter who will
    > > necessarily get dropped as the hills get steeper -- and he has a big

    lead
    > > on Lance. Do the rbr tour mavens think this potential threat can be
    > > discounted with a wave of the hand, or could it become an unpleasant
    > > surprise for LA?

    > Voeckler will be the answer to the French-wearing, maillot jaune
    > on Bastille Day trivia question after Friday's stage.
    >
    > He will be 30+ minutes back after Saturday's.
    >
    > -KJP

  14. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    John Tezel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > John S wrote:
    >
    > > So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > > Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > > one hope he does.

    > Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French, puts
    > on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero, even
    > has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    > get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering him
    > on to hold on and win...
    >
    > Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    > this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?
    >
    > Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time some
    > of the other young riders get some recognition.

    Let's be realistic - Karpets' name has come up quite often, but it has
    invariably been in the context of going out the back. Will he win
    anyways? Yes.

    -Sonarrat.

  15. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:46:53 GMT, John Tezel <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >>Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    >>this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    >>group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    >>Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?
    >>

    > Has Karpets ever attacked in this race?
    >
    > JT

    As if that means anything this year. "I hung in with the USPS peloton"
    is the only thing lots of riders are taking from this Tour.

    I'm pulling for Voekler, just because he fought hard in full view of TV
    cameras. Karpets might be very deserving, but if it doesn't happen on TV...

    "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  16. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:46:53 GMT, John Tezel <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >>Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    > >>this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > >>group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > >>Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?
    > >>

    > > Has Karpets ever attacked in this race?
    > >
    > > JT

    > As if that means anything this year. "I hung in with the USPS peloton"
    > is the only thing lots of riders are taking from this Tour.
    >
    > I'm pulling for Voekler, just because he fought hard in full view of TV
    > cameras. Karpets might be very deserving, but if it doesn't happen on TV...

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    Although I too would like to see Voeckler clean the Karpets, my
    guess is that Voeckler will be taken on a magic Karpets ride.

    Mike

  17. You forget to mention that he [Karpets] lost 4 minutes waiting for Menchov
    when the latter fell. I hope Karpets mops Voeckler off. I am fed up of his
    "suffrering baby" histrionics.

    BTW: Karpets is normally an excellent TTist.

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
    news:[email protected]
    > John Tezel <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > John S wrote:
    > >
    > > > So, who's the better TTer? Voeckler is only 45 seconds ahead of
    > > > Karpets. I wonder if he can hang on to claim the white jersey. I for
    > > > one hope he does.

    > > Let's recap. This kid gets in a lucky breakaway cause he's French, puts
    > > on the yellow jersey (every rider's dream), becomes a national hero,

    even
    > > has his team captain work for him... gets to parade around, get dropped,
    > > get back on, get dropped again, and have thousands of people cheering

    him
    > > on to hold on and win...
    > >
    > > Meanwhile, the rightful winner of the white jersey, the best young rider
    > > this year, Vladimir Karpets, is actually able to hang with the front
    > > group while Voeckler yoyo's off the back. He puts 12 minutes into
    > > Voeckler (minus the breakaway stage) but gets barely any mention at all?
    > >
    > > Voeckler had more than his share of the limelight, I think it's time

    some
    > > of the other young riders get some recognition.

    > Let's be realistic - Karpets' name has come up quite often, but it has
    > invariably been in the context of going out the back. Will he win
    > anyways? Yes.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  18. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Alex Beascoechea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You forget to mention that he [Karpets] lost 4 minutes waiting for Menchov
    > when the latter fell. I hope Karpets mops Voeckler off. I am fed up of his
    > "suffrering baby" histrionics.
    >
    > BTW: Karpets is normally an excellent TTist.

    It's highly unlikely that Voeckler will take Karpets to
    the clothesline and beat the dust out of him.

    Mike