Race/Hell Report - Around the Bay 30k 2004

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Mar 29, 2004.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen. When
    I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the race is
    important, and I did not think is was that serious - I
    attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the beginning of a virus.

    I hit 5k in 19:07 and at that point running became very
    difficult. I was very confused, not sure of what was going
    on. I thought I had a side stitch, a really bad one. I
    sort of went on, but began to slow... not from fatigue. It
    was pain. I hit 10k in just over 39 minutes and began to
    double over. I kept thinking it would go away. I tried
    very hard to ignore it, but it was becoming very difficult
    to run sub-4:00 km's, which is normally not that hard.
    Every step made it worse.

    At 13km, I realized something was terribly wrong and slowed
    to a walk. I had been grimacing for a while. It was intense
    pain. I walked for a few minutes and a friend passed by. I
    gamely tried to run a bit with him, but could not. The pain
    was getting worse and worse. Before I knew it, I was on the
    sidewalk in a fetal position.

    I stayed there, freezing, shivering, soaking wet, and in
    unbelievable pain for about 10 minutes. I was scared,
    confused, and didn't know what to so. All I knew is I had
    serious right side abdominal/groin area pain, a kind I
    really had never felt before.

    A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an ambulance.
    I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed that I had a
    ruptured appendix. I was prepped immediately for surgery. My
    bowels were in front, so it could not be done
    laproscopically (sp?). They cut me open and got it out. The
    surgeon told me later that it was clearly infected and on
    it's way to becoming septic. He was suprised I had ran 13km
    with this condition.He said my bowels were going to be
    paralyzed for a few days as they had to push them around,
    etc. and I guess there's some shock associated with that.

    It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
    cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
    is that bad. They did not want me to go. My belly is all
    pumped full of gas, it's all bloated and gross. I am wasted
    on IV demerol and everything is spinning.

    That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    > A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an
    > ambulance. I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed
    > that I had a ruptured appendix.

    David, I don't know how in the world you could stand the
    pain. This certainly is not the sort of race report I had
    anticipated. I know we were all just kind of dumb founded
    when we saw the live race report of you not going past
    the 10K mark.

    Good luck on your recovery, and please keep us posted on
    your progress.

    Regards,

    Phil M.

  3. jobin

    jobin Guest

    david

    this is much worse than we all thought. i don't know
    what to say.

    hang in there. you're tough, man.

    regards jobs

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
    > When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
    > race is important, and I did not think is was that
    > serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
    > beginning of a virus.

  4. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    > The surgeon told me later that it was clearly infected and
    > on it's way to
    becoming septic. He was suprised I had
    >ran 13km with this condition.

    That's a runner for you, isn't it? We think we're supposed
    to ignore pain and discomfort and push on; we're doggin' it
    if we don't. You ran almost 8 miles with a ruptured
    appendix? Wow, you've got my respect. No wonder you are able
    to push yourself so hard when you're healthy. Best of luck
    with a fast and full recovery!

  5. Doug Burke

    Doug Burke Guest

    Haven't been on this board in a while, having transferred
    most of my interest over to the RW forums but glad I dropped
    in so to send a word or two of encouragement. Tough break
    David but at least you're ok. You're a tough guy. Next year
    you'll knock the ATB back on it's feet. Take it easy for a
    while. Heal up. Doug Burke

    SwStudio wrote:
    > I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
    > When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
    > race is important, and I did not think is was that
    > serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
    > beginning of a virus.
    >
    > I hit 5k in 19:07 and at that point running became very
    > difficult. I was very confused, not sure of what was going
    > on. I thought I had a side stitch, a really bad one. I
    > sort of went on, but began to slow... not from fatigue. It
    > was pain. I hit 10k in just over 39 minutes and began to
    > double over. I kept thinking it would go away. I tried
    > very hard to ignore it, but it was becoming very difficult
    > to run sub-4:00 km's, which is normally not that hard.
    > Every step made it worse.
    >
    > At 13km, I realized something was terribly wrong and
    > slowed to a walk. I had been grimacing for a while. It was
    > intense pain. I walked for a few minutes and a friend
    > passed by. I gamely tried to run a bit with him, but could
    > not. The pain was getting worse and worse. Before I knew
    > it, I was on the sidewalk in a fetal position.
    >
    > I stayed there, freezing, shivering, soaking wet, and in
    > unbelievable pain for about 10 minutes. I was scared,
    > confused, and didn't know what to so. All I knew is I had
    > serious right side abdominal/groin area pain, a kind I
    > really had never felt before.
    >
    > A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an
    > ambulance. I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed
    > that I had a ruptured appendix. I was prepped immediately
    > for surgery. My bowels were in front, so it could not be
    > done laproscopically (sp?). They cut me open and got it
    > out. The surgeon told me later that it was clearly
    > infected and on it's way to becoming septic. He was
    > suprised I had ran 13km with this condition.He said my
    > bowels were going to be paralyzed for a few days as they
    > had to push them around, etc. and I guess there's some
    > shock associated with that.
    >
    > It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
    > cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
    > is that bad. They did not want me to go. My belly is all
    > pumped full of gas, it's all bloated and gross. I am
    > wasted on IV demerol and everything is spinning.
    >
    > That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.
    >
    > cheers,

  6. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:31:38 -0500, "SwStudio"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
    >When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
    >race is important, and I did not think is was that
    >serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
    >beginning of a virus.

    [race-w/ruptured-appendix report went here]

    Man, I'm really sorry to hear it. Like many here in
    rec.running, I saw your online results begin and end with
    the 10K split. I wondered if this was a really-really-bad-
    day DNF or some kind of medical emergency like appendicitis
    (really) or a car crash. I'm really glad it wasn't the
    latter type of medical emergency.

    Please keep us posted on your recovery as you are able.

    Karen

  7. Eno

    Eno Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    Terrible news, about your race, and great also, that you're
    still alive and kicking. Just think how thankful and
    appreciative you're going to be the next time you hit the
    road for a run. Look forward to that and get some rest in
    the meantime.

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,-
    ,ø¤º eNo "If you can't go fast, go long." ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°-

  8. Tenkman

    Tenkman Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
    > cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
    > is that bad. They
    did
    > not want me to go. My belly is all pumped full of gas,
    > it's all
    bloated
    > and gross. I am wasted on IV demerol and everything is
    > spinning.
    >
    > That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.

    Dude, that sucks. I hope your recovery goes well. I wondered
    why we didn't see you around the finish.

    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    > insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    > down constantly."

  9. C.G.

    C.G. Guest

    I'm glad it worked out OK so far (It hasn't killed you). Get
    back to hospital and get sorted out! Screw the cat (Not
    literally...).

    --
    Colm

    :
[...]
    : --
    : David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    : insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    : down constantly."
    :
    :

  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Doctors used to think it was because nuts or seeds would get
    caught in the appendix and become infected by the normal
    large intestine flora.

    They have since been proven wrong on that assumption and now
    think it is an immune or autoimmune reaction. The appendix
    is basically one big lump of Gastrointestinal Associated
    Lymphoid Tissue (GALT).

    Joe

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > SwStudio wrote:
    >
    > Sorry to hear this -- sounds very unpleasent. Any idea
    > what caused it ?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  11. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    TopCounsel wrote:

    > That's a runner for you, isn't it? We think we're supposed
    > to ignore pain and discomfort and push on; we're doggin'
    > it if we don't. You ran almost 8 miles with a ruptured
    > appendix? Wow, you've got my respect. No wonder you are
    > able to push yourself so hard when you're healthy.

    He gets an A+ for moxy but I have to give him a c- to leave
    the hospital to feed his cat.

  12. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

    > He gets an A+ for moxy but I have to give him a c- to
    > leave the hospital to feed his cat.

    where i guess the "c" is for compassion? so, with a "c-"
    you're saying that he's slightly below par when it comes to
    compassion.

    jobs

  13. David, a brave performance in the circumstances. I hope you
    heal well and quickly. Be patient with it; ATB will be there
    another day.

    Regards,

    Paul

    SwStudio wrote:
    > I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
    > When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
    > race is important, and I did not think is was that
    > serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
    > beginning of a virus.
    >
    > I hit 5k in 19:07 and at that point running became very
    > difficult. I was very confused, not sure of what was going
    > on. I thought I had a side stitch, a really bad one. I
    > sort of went on, but began to slow... not from fatigue. It
    > was pain. I hit 10k in just over 39 minutes and began to
    > double over. I kept thinking it would go away. I tried
    > very hard to ignore it, but it was becoming very difficult
    > to run sub-4:00 km's, which is normally not that hard.
    > Every step made it worse.
    >
    > At 13km, I realized something was terribly wrong and
    > slowed to a walk. I had been grimacing for a while. It was
    > intense pain. I walked for a few minutes and a friend
    > passed by. I gamely tried to run a bit with him, but could
    > not. The pain was getting worse and worse. Before I knew
    > it, I was on the sidewalk in a fetal position.
    >
    > I stayed there, freezing, shivering, soaking wet, and in
    > unbelievable pain for about 10 minutes. I was scared,
    > confused, and didn't know what to so. All I knew is I had
    > serious right side abdominal/groin area pain, a kind I
    > really had never felt before.
    >
    > A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an
    > ambulance. I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed
    > that I had a ruptured appendix. I was prepped immediately
    > for surgery. My bowels were in front, so it could not be
    > done laproscopically (sp?). They cut me open and got it
    > out. The surgeon told me later that it was clearly
    > infected and on it's way to becoming septic. He was
    > suprised I had ran 13km with this condition.He said my
    > bowels were going to be paralyzed for a few days as they
    > had to push them around, etc. and I guess there's some
    > shock associated with that.
    >
    > It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
    > cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
    > is that bad. They did not want me to go. My belly is all
    > pumped full of gas, it's all bloated and gross. I am
    > wasted on IV demerol and everything is spinning.
    >
    > That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.
    >
    > cheers,

    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

  14. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Ouch, David. So sorry to hear this. After seeing no times
    after 10k yesterday and no race report this morning, I began
    wondering if it was something more than simple not
    finishing.

    Hope you heal well. ATB will be there next year for you. I
    know it sounds like a cliche, but well, what can one say.
    Good luck.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  15. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    holy crap, David! really sorry to hear about this. that's a
    helluva thing to go through, let alone during a race. here's
    to a speedy recovery.... i'm sure you've asked the dr's when
    you can run again.... any news on that? just wait it out?

    enjoy the demerol while you can. hang in there, man.

    Cam

  16. "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.

    Thanks for living to tell the tale!

    FWIW, some silver linings on your cloud of gloom:

    1. You could´ve collapsed in a lonely place without a
    cell phone.
    2. When the incision has healed, the episode is over and
    you´ll be able to bounce back without any need to adjust
    to any limitations to your life. (Cf. a runner who
    collapsed in a race and learned that he had diabetes.)
    3. You won´t have to worry about a recurrence.

    appeal.
    4. You have bigger cojones/you are more "plainmachostupid"
    than you previously would´ve thought possible.
    5. It was just a mild, off-hand kind of curse I set on you.

    Gute Besserung, Kumpel:)

    Anders

  17. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    David - really sorry to hear - not sure how you managed to
    run at all.

    The main thing obviously is to take it easy, and gain a
    full recovery. Your fitness will help that a lot.

    Good luck.

    Anthony.

  18. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    SwStudio wrote:
    > I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.

    Best wishes for a speedy recory David. I reckon appendicitis
    is probably a justifiable reason for a DNF. ;-)

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit

  19. paul

    paul Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tim Downie wrote:
    > SwStudio wrote:
    >> I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.

    > Best wishes for a speedy recory David. I reckon
    > appendicitis is probably a justifiable reason for a
    > DNF. ;-)

    Bah, I'm sure mcelroy would say that a real runner would cut
    his appendix out with a broken coke can and still finish in
    under 3 hours...

    Paul