Race/Hell Report - Around the Bay 30k 2004

Swstudio

Guest
I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen. When
I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the race is
important, and I did not think is was that serious - I
attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the beginning of a virus.

I hit 5k in 19:07 and at that point running became very
difficult. I was very confused, not sure of what was going
on. I thought I had a side stitch, a really bad one. I
sort of went on, but began to slow... not from fatigue. It
was pain. I hit 10k in just over 39 minutes and began to
double over. I kept thinking it would go away. I tried
very hard to ignore it, but it was becoming very difficult
to run sub-4:00 km's, which is normally not that hard.
Every step made it worse.

At 13km, I realized something was terribly wrong and slowed
to a walk. I had been grimacing for a while. It was intense
pain. I walked for a few minutes and a friend passed by. I
gamely tried to run a bit with him, but could not. The pain
was getting worse and worse. Before I knew it, I was on the
sidewalk in a fetal position.

I stayed there, freezing, shivering, soaking wet, and in
unbelievable pain for about 10 minutes. I was scared,
confused, and didn't know what to so. All I knew is I had
serious right side abdominal/groin area pain, a kind I
really had never felt before.

A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an ambulance.
I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed that I had a
ruptured appendix. I was prepped immediately for surgery. My
bowels were in front, so it could not be done
laproscopically (sp?). They cut me open and got it out. The
surgeon told me later that it was clearly infected and on
it's way to becoming septic. He was suprised I had ran 13km
with this condition.He said my bowels were going to be
paralyzed for a few days as they had to push them around,
etc. and I guess there's some shock associated with that.

It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
is that bad. They did not want me to go. My belly is all
pumped full of gas, it's all bloated and gross. I am wasted
on IV demerol and everything is spinning.

That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

> A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an
> ambulance. I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed
> that I had a ruptured appendix.

David, I don't know how in the world you could stand the
pain. This certainly is not the sort of race report I had
anticipated. I know we were all just kind of dumb founded
when we saw the live race report of you not going past
the 10K mark.

Good luck on your recovery, and please keep us posted on
your progress.

Regards,

Phil M.

david

this is much worse than we all thought. i don't know
what to say.

hang in there. you're tough, man.

regards jobs

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
> When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
> race is important, and I did not think is was that
> serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
> beginning of a virus.

> The surgeon told me later that it was clearly infected and
> on it's way to
becoming septic. He was suprised I had
>ran 13km with this condition.

That's a runner for you, isn't it? We think we're supposed
to ignore pain and discomfort and push on; we're doggin' it
if we don't. You ran almost 8 miles with a ruptured
appendix? Wow, you've got my respect. No wonder you are able
to push yourself so hard when you're healthy. Best of luck
with a fast and full recovery!

Haven't been on this board in a while, having transferred
most of my interest over to the RW forums but glad I dropped
in so to send a word or two of encouragement. Tough break
David but at least you're ok. You're a tough guy. Next year
you'll knock the ATB back on it's feet. Take it easy for a
while. Heal up. Doug Burke

SwStudio wrote:
> I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
> When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
> race is important, and I did not think is was that
> serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
> beginning of a virus.
>
> I hit 5k in 19:07 and at that point running became very
> difficult. I was very confused, not sure of what was going
> on. I thought I had a side stitch, a really bad one. I
> sort of went on, but began to slow... not from fatigue. It
> was pain. I hit 10k in just over 39 minutes and began to
> double over. I kept thinking it would go away. I tried
> very hard to ignore it, but it was becoming very difficult
> to run sub-4:00 km's, which is normally not that hard.
> Every step made it worse.
>
> At 13km, I realized something was terribly wrong and
> slowed to a walk. I had been grimacing for a while. It was
> intense pain. I walked for a few minutes and a friend
> passed by. I gamely tried to run a bit with him, but could
> not. The pain was getting worse and worse. Before I knew
> it, I was on the sidewalk in a fetal position.
>
> I stayed there, freezing, shivering, soaking wet, and in
> unbelievable pain for about 10 minutes. I was scared,
> confused, and didn't know what to so. All I knew is I had
> serious right side abdominal/groin area pain, a kind I
> really had never felt before.
>
> A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an
> ambulance. I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed
> that I had a ruptured appendix. I was prepped immediately
> for surgery. My bowels were in front, so it could not be
> done laproscopically (sp?). They cut me open and got it
> out. The surgeon told me later that it was clearly
> infected and on it's way to becoming septic. He was
> suprised I had ran 13km with this condition.He said my
> bowels were going to be paralyzed for a few days as they
> had to push them around, etc. and I guess there's some
> shock associated with that.
>
> It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
> cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
> is that bad. They did not want me to go. My belly is all
> pumped full of gas, it's all bloated and gross. I am
> wasted on IV demerol and everything is spinning.
>
> That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.
>
> cheers,

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:31:38 -0500, "SwStudio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
>When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
>race is important, and I did not think is was that
>serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
>beginning of a virus.

[race-w/ruptured-appendix report went here]

Man, I'm really sorry to hear it. Like many here in
rec.running, I saw your online results begin and end with
the 10K split. I wondered if this was a really-really-bad-
day DNF or some kind of medical emergency like appendicitis
(really) or a car crash. I'm really glad it wasn't the
latter type of medical emergency.

Please keep us posted on your recovery as you are able.

Karen

SwStudio wrote:

Terrible news, about your race, and great also, that you're
still alive and kicking. Just think how thankful and
appreciative you're going to be the next time you hit the
road for a run. Look forward to that and get some rest in
the meantime.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,-
,ø¤º eNo "If you can't go fast, go long." ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°-

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
> cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
> is that bad. They
did
> not want me to go. My belly is all pumped full of gas,
> it's all
bloated
> and gross. I am wasted on IV demerol and everything is
> spinning.
>
> That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.

Dude, that sucks. I hope your recovery goes well. I wondered
why we didn't see you around the finish.

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
> insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
> down constantly."

I'm glad it worked out OK so far (It hasn't killed you). Get
back to hospital and get sorted out! Screw the cat (Not
literally...).

--
Colm

:
[...]
: --
: David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
: insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
: down constantly."
:
:

Doctors used to think it was because nuts or seeds would get
caught in the appendix and become infected by the normal
large intestine flora.

They have since been proven wrong on that assumption and now
think it is an immune or autoimmune reaction. The appendix
is basically one big lump of Gastrointestinal Associated
Lymphoid Tissue (GALT).

Joe

news:[email protected]...

TopCounsel wrote:

> That's a runner for you, isn't it? We think we're supposed
> to ignore pain and discomfort and push on; we're doggin'
> it if we don't. You ran almost 8 miles with a ruptured
> appendix? Wow, you've got my respect. No wonder you are
> able to push yourself so hard when you're healthy.

He gets an A+ for moxy but I have to give him a c- to leave
the hospital to feed his cat.

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

> He gets an A+ for moxy but I have to give him a c- to
> leave the hospital to feed his cat.

where i guess the "c" is for compassion? so, with a "c-"
you're saying that he's slightly below par when it comes to
compassion.

jobs

David, a brave performance in the circumstances. I hope you
heal well and quickly. Be patient with it; ATB will be there
another day.

Regards,

Paul

SwStudio wrote:
> I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.
> When I awoke Sunday morning, it was pretty bad, but the
> race is important, and I did not think is was that
> serious - I attibuted it to nerves, and maybe the
> beginning of a virus.
>
> I hit 5k in 19:07 and at that point running became very
> difficult. I was very confused, not sure of what was going
> on. I thought I had a side stitch, a really bad one. I
> sort of went on, but began to slow... not from fatigue. It
> was pain. I hit 10k in just over 39 minutes and began to
> double over. I kept thinking it would go away. I tried
> very hard to ignore it, but it was becoming very difficult
> to run sub-4:00 km's, which is normally not that hard.
> Every step made it worse.
>
> At 13km, I realized something was terribly wrong and
> slowed to a walk. I had been grimacing for a while. It was
> intense pain. I walked for a few minutes and a friend
> passed by. I gamely tried to run a bit with him, but could
> not. The pain was getting worse and worse. Before I knew
> it, I was on the sidewalk in a fetal position.
>
> I stayed there, freezing, shivering, soaking wet, and in
> unbelievable pain for about 10 minutes. I was scared,
> confused, and didn't know what to so. All I knew is I had
> serious right side abdominal/groin area pain, a kind I
> really had never felt before.
>
> A policeman on a motorcycle stopped and called an
> ambulance. I got to the hospital and it was soon confirmed
> that I had a ruptured appendix. I was prepped immediately
> for surgery. My bowels were in front, so it could not be
> done laproscopically (sp?). They cut me open and got it
> out. The surgeon told me later that it was clearly
> infected and on it's way to becoming septic. He was
> suprised I had ran 13km with this condition.He said my
> bowels were going to be paralyzed for a few days as they
> had to push them around, etc. and I guess there's some
> shock associated with that.
>
> It is now the next afternoon. I have come home to feed my
> cat, and will probably go back to the hospital tonight. It
> is that bad. They did not want me to go. My belly is all
> pumped full of gas, it's all bloated and gross. I am
> wasted on IV demerol and everything is spinning.
>
> That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.
>
> cheers,

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

Ouch, David. So sorry to hear this. After seeing no times
after 10k yesterday and no race report this morning, I began
wondering if it was something more than simple not
finishing.

Hope you heal well. ATB will be there next year for you. I
know it sounds like a cliche, but well, what can one say.
Good luck.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

holy ****, David! really sorry to hear about this. that's a
helluva thing to go through, let alone during a race. here's
to a speedy recovery.... i'm sure you've asked the dr's when
you can run again.... any news on that? just wait it out?

enjoy the demerol while you can. hang in there, man.

Cam

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> That's about all I can type. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for living to tell the tale!

FWIW, some silver linings on your cloud of gloom:

1. You could´ve collapsed in a lonely place without a
cell phone.
2. When the incision has healed, the episode is over and
you´ll be able to bounce back without any need to adjust
to any limitations to your life. (Cf. a runner who
collapsed in a race and learned that he had diabetes.)
3. You won´t have to worry about a recurrence.

appeal.
4. You have bigger cojones/you are more "plainmachostupid"
than you previously would´ve thought possible.
5. It was just a mild, off-hand kind of curse I set on you.

Gute Besserung, Kumpel:)

Anders

David - really sorry to hear - not sure how you managed to
run at all.

The main thing obviously is to take it easy, and gain a
full recovery. Your fitness will help that a lot.

Good luck.

Anthony.

In article <[email protected]>, Tim Downie wrote:
> SwStudio wrote:
>> I felt sick all day Saturday with cramps in my abdomen.

> Best wishes for a speedy recory David. I reckon
> appendicitis is probably a justifiable reason for a
> DNF. ;-)

Bah, I'm sure mcelroy would say that a real runner would cut
his appendix out with a broken coke can and still finish in
under 3 hours...

Paul