Race in Belgium

I was in Belgium in 1991 and saw one of these races. Yes, the speed was extremely high and it was a great spectacular. However, comparing the environment, i.e. road surface and route profile, to ths South African "races" is like comparing a rose with a "kakiebos" (a type of weed, very stinky :p found in SA).

[quote author=Rhodent link=board=19;threadid=2655;start=15#22954 date=1037884893]<br />OK, I guess I understand, though I do feel a little miffed at the Argus etc not being called a race (I certainly try go fast). I think the only difference then must be that we definitely have Pro's racing for prize money etc at our &quot;cyclosportief&quot; races. I guess South African's are more keen on cycling as a participation format than watching the pros go round a course. Very different and I would love to see them in your countries, I think we all still want to go watch some of your racing sometime<br />[/quote]<br /><br />You should not underestimate those 'cyclosportieven' as less of a challenge than some of the real races with enlisted riders. I know that there are e.g. a fair amount of pro level riders participating in the Marmotte and the first riders to finish also reach pro speeds ;)<br />These cyclosportieven are open to more riders though and properly trained cyclo tourists can also participate.<br /><br />Niek

[quote author=ewep link=board=19;threadid=2655;start=15#22956 date=1037889485]<br />I was in Belgium in 1991 and saw one of these races. Yes, the speed was extremely high and it was a great spectacular. However, comparing the environment, i.e. road surface and route profile, to ths South African &quot;races&quot; is like comparing a rose with a &quot;kakiebos&quot; (a type of weed, very stinky :p found in SA).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That was probably a simple 'kermiskoers' somewhere in Flanders. If you go tot the south of the country or attend one of the races that go over the hills in the 'Vlaamse Ardennen' or that have 'decent' cobblestones in, you do have a different type of race though<br /><br />Niek

It's not because thy dont call it a race that they don't respect it.<br /><br />Marmotte is much tougher than most &quot;real&quot; races, Someone who completed him is respected, someone who finshed in the top of the bunch even more. Some of the Marmotte riders from holland like Hidde Oegema and Bert Dekker are more know by the cycling public than a bunch of (2nd class)pro's from holland.<br /><br />Some french pro's became pro because they rode wel in the Marmotte cyclosportief.<br /><br />It's just about what your abbilities are. For some people its a major achievement to finsh a 100km toeristen tocht with an average between 25-30km/u. Where others ride every week a training of 120-140 km at 33km/u and actually are just riding comfortably.<br /><br />Look what your capabilities are and go for your goal, some might be 2 hours fasther other will never be able to do what you did. <br />

Hi Guys<br /><br />I live also in Belgium (Ieper) I have raced here for the last 10 years &amp; can say its not so bad! I have done Kermeses here which have averaged just 36km/h (these were the ones that split into little groups in the hurricane like cross winds!). If you are a 1st or 2nd cat rider in your country you should have no problems racing here &amp; you should be picking up some prize money. When I first came out here I found it easier to place in the results here then in the UK. It just depends on what type of rider you are.<br /><br />
Izegem.JPG
<br /><br />I am the 5th rider in line, Brit rider Mike Milan is 2nd &amp; Ausie rider James Nitis is about 7th in line (with red kit &amp; white helmet)<br /><br /><br />I got some helmet camera footage of a Belgium Kermess race in Lichtevelde I will make a small sample &amp; stick it on my site

<br />Ok If you want to see what the start of your average Belgium Kermess looks like from the riders point of view click this link below.<br /><br />http://users.pandora.be/phil.stone/race%20sample.wmv<br /><br />there are a few other Demos here (I will add more when I get some free web space)<br /><br />http://users.pandora.be/phil.stone/Demo.htm<br /><br />PS I have only ever done one Kermes race which averaged 48km/hr (120km in 2hr20min) &amp; that was back in 1996 at ruddervorde I was unlucky to puncture the last lap &amp; came in 3rd, the high speed was due to the head wind section being on a wide road which the 98 rider field could bunch up. I would say most kermes races are about 43km/h average.You must remember that a Kermes usually has several tight corners per lap which slow the bunch down &amp; make the racing very hard as you are going from 3km/h - 50 km/h every 200m or so !<br />

[quote author=Phil cool link=board=19;threadid=2655;start=15#23185 date=1038595231]<br /><br />there are a few other Demos here (I will add more when I get some free web space)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />If you need webspace let me know

About that average speed...<br />I did five kermessess last spring and slowest average speed was 44.6km/h, but like Maarten told us, it's not too hard if you can ride in big peloton and in echelons.<br />Belgium+Kermesses=Paradise ;D (alltough rainy...sometimes...)

Any of you guys wanna rent us a room for 3 months during the road season? :D

Originally posted by steve
Any of you guys wanna rent us a room for 3 months during the road season? :D

Are you only joking? Or are you serious?
When you are serious list when you want to come. What your specialities are. Your age, achieved results(preferabbely verrifiable from decent size races).
If you or somenone else is really serious with some extra info and decent notice in advance i can as some teams if they are interested for foreign memebers and places to stay.

Does anyone know where I can find calendar of Belgium amateur races on internet?

As this "theme" is starting on Northern Belgium's supposed
"lack of hills", i would like to take the opportunity to say
ITS A LIE !! " ITS A TRICK!!
THEY HAVE THEM HIDDEN EVERYWHERE....

Cobbles, windswept plains, windy concrete roads, highway bridges, (yep trust me they hurt)

dont believe me ?? try racing a kermesse that uses narrow paths, on a windy day, 180 starters, open and exposed, hurtling along a narrow path lined out 50-55kmh , brake, sharp turn, then sprint up a gradual rise (crosswind) to cross a motorway bridge and once you survived that, you only got another 18 laps to go...............

Hills dont have to be high to hurt....

Kemmelberg, Bberendries,Kluisberg, Eikenberg, those are just the well knwon ones, pleny of them are "minor" but can still make you cry.

EPREX-> You should be on the front to avoid situations like that:p

Thank you for your help with kalendars. Maybe we see in Belgium next spring, summer or autumn(I haven't decided which time to go there and it costs lot of money to stay longer) but first I go to Mallorca for training and I'll ride Cinturon Ciclista Mallorca too:D

If you are interested to race in France in May, read my post on the bike connections forum!

Done a kermesse at Schoten today(scheldeprijs for U23 and elite)

273 starters came in 39th (about 20 riders clear and then a bunch sprint with about 200) with an average of 45,1km/u top speed on flat road with a litte tailwind 68km/u.

There were riders from 6 or more TT3 teams at the start.

Hi I want to race in belgium around the august time where is the best place to go can anybody set me up with anything Im young and not rich.