Race Radios and 2003 USCF rules

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Y2kc0wb0y, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Y2kc0wb0y

    Y2kc0wb0y Guest

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during any
    non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year related to race radios. I raced the
    entire season Cat 4 and never had a single problem within our 50 plus rider fields where some turkey
    took a rider(s) out because he had to tell his Director Sportif that he wasn't going up the road
    because he was tried.

    However, I can remember a few crashes trying to grab a water bottle and OOPs.. dropping it from say
    the 5th or 6th spot into a nice crowd of 50 or 60 zone 5 racers... Ouch! .. I didn't don't mom!

    I am of the opinion that this rule is good for Cat4 down because honestly if you reach Cat3 status I
    think your well on your way to mastering the handling of your bike.

    What's next? No water bottles for anybody but Pro/1/2... I mean geez!!!

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule. [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. >Subject: Race Radios and 2003 USCF rules

    >How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule.

    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME?

    RIGHT?

    YOU NEED A RADIO IN A CAT 3 RACE? WHAT THE FUCK FOR? TO ASK YOUR "DIRECTOR" IF ITS TIME TO BRING
    BACK THE BREAK IN YOUR 15 MILE OFFICE PARK CRIT?

    JESUS, JUST RIDE AT THE FRONT AND USE YOUR BRAIN FOR GODS SAKE. THE RULE IS JUST AS MUCH ABOUT
    TEACHING YOU ABOUT RACING YOUR BIKE AS IT IS ABOUT YOU RIDING SAFELY.

    OH, AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME THAT YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW TO RACE, THEN
    A) WHAT DO YOU NEED THE RADIO FOR, AND B) WHY ARE YOU STILL A 4?

    THANKS SHARON

    ps: I was gonna start typing normally again, but douchebags like this just piss me off too much.
    Maybe Avon was right, and I do have some anger management issues......

  3. y2kc0wb0y wrote:

    > This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during
    > any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Can you still listen to MiniDisc players while you race?

  4. "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org
    regarding the
    > use of radios during any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.
    >
    > Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year
    related to
    > race radios. I raced the entire season Cat 4

    What makes you think the rule is about crashes? It might be aimed at encouraging riders to learn how
    to race by using their own eyes.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  5. Jx

    Jx Guest

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during
    > any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.
    >
    > Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year related to race radios. I raced the
    > entire season Cat 4 and never had a single problem within our 50 plus rider fields where some
    > turkey took a rider(s) out because he had to tell his Director Sportif that he wasn't going up the
    > road because he was tried.
    >
    > However, I can remember a few crashes trying to grab a water bottle and OOPs.. dropping it
    > from say the 5th or 6th spot into a nice crowd of 50 or 60 zone 5 racers... Ouch! .. I didn't
    > don't mom!
    >
    > I am of the opinion that this rule is good for Cat4 down because honestly if you reach Cat3 status
    > I think your well on your way to mastering the handling of your bike.
    >
    > What's next? No water bottles for anybody but Pro/1/2... I mean geez!!!
    >
    > How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule. [email protected]

    I think we need to protest this as well, so that dropped riders who didn't pay attention to the
    course can radio in and get directions back to start.

  6. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org
    > regarding the
    > > use of radios during any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.
    > >
    > > Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year
    > related to
    > > race radios. I raced the entire season Cat 4
    >
    > What makes you think the rule is about crashes? It might be aimed at encouraging riders to learn
    > how to race by using their own eyes.
    >
    > JT

    If this rule was made in conjunction with crashes, then I'd have to agree. I was in several races
    this past season where some dumb ass took his hands off of his bars in a large group to fuck with
    his radio and then took several others down with him for being stupid. I personally lost a good set
    of race wheels and a lot of skin to one person for doing this. He was messing with his earpiece (in
    a cat 3 race mind you), and hit one of those reflectors in the middle of the road, went down, took
    me and 6 other people with him. He didn't even offer an apology after I cussed him out loudly enough
    for everyone and God to hear. Didn't even offer to pay for my wrecked and destroyed $1000 wheelset.
    Sure it's racing, and if I'm riding expensive stuff and crash and it gets wrecked, that's part of
    the game right. But if someone destroys it for me by being stupid, someone needs to cough up some
    dough. Aside from causing crashes, who are these guys talking to during this race? Their teammates,
    whom they can see directly in front of them anyway as the groups are usually no larger than 50
    people anyway. I'm not a fan of radios in a cat 3 race, and nobody really should be. Sure we want to
    be like the pros, but damn Jimmy, you'll be alright without your Motorola.

    Tom

  7. "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    (details of getting "caught" in crash snipped)
    > But if someone destroys it for me by being stupid, someone needs to cough up some dough.

    Right..... (I'm being sarcastic)

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  8. Y2kc0wb0y

    Y2kc0wb0y Guest

    > >How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule.
    >
    > YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME?
    >
    > RIGHT?
    >
    > YOU NEED A RADIO IN A CAT 3 RACE? WHAT THE FUCK FOR? TO ASK YOUR "DIRECTOR" IF ITS TIME TO BRING
    > BACK THE BREAK IN YOUR 15 MILE OFFICE PARK CRIT?
    >
    > JESUS, JUST RIDE AT THE FRONT AND USE YOUR BRAIN FOR GODS SAKE. THE RULE IS JUST AS MUCH ABOUT
    > TEACHING YOU ABOUT RACING YOUR BIKE AS IT IS ABOUT YOU RIDING SAFELY.
    >
    > OH, AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME THAT YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW TO RACE, THEN
    > A) WHAT DO YOU NEED THE RADIO FOR, AND B) WHY ARE YOU STILL A 4?
    >
    > THANKS SHARON
    >
    > ps: I was gonna start typing normally again, but douchebags like this just piss me off too much.
    > Maybe Avon was right, and I do have some anger management issues......

    Sharon, I am sorry that you feel strongly about this argument and feel a need to insult the comment;
    however, that is your right and will not hold it against you. I can see how bicycle racing might be
    good for your anger management.
    A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be obivous to
    you an many like you since the best racers use a radio. Organization and communication. During any
    giving race if you communicate your plans to a team mate out loud right next to him/her your going
    to blow your plan before it even starts. I suppose we should use hand signals?
    A1) Flexibility. During any given race a well thought out pre-race plan can and often changes. As in
    business, like racing, you need to be able to adapt quickly to insure success. A3) Advice. If
    you have had any experience in coaching, you'll relize that coaches see things differently from
    the sidelines. That intelligence per say is valuable information to communicate into the team
    ... don't you think? Of course you think. B) As for why I am Cat 4 still, that alone is my
    burden and mine only to bare. I will say this...Masters racing doesn't give points to USCF
    categories.

    I still think this rule is bogus.

    y2kc0wb0y

  9. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be obivous to
    > you an many like you since the best racers use a radio.

    Here is the difference....the best racers do use radios, but you--like me--are a Cat 4. In case you
    have not figured it out, if you're a Cat 4, you are not one of the best. Not even close. If you or I
    were good enough to need radios, we would have radios.

  10. Y2kc0wb0y

    Y2kc0wb0y Guest

    " Tim Mullin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be obivous
    > > to you an many like you since the best racers use a radio.
    >
    > Here is the difference....the best racers do use radios, but you--like me--are a Cat 4. In case
    > you have not figured it out, if you're a Cat 4, you are not one of the best. Not even close. If
    > you or I were good enough to need radios, we would have radios.

    I don't really think this issue is about being the best or racing with the best. I think we are
    discusing safety. I will again state that you can just as easily drop a water bottle and cause a
    crash or even cause a crash because your drinking from a water bottle as you can from que'in the mic
    on a race radio. Cat 4 or Cat 1. Crap happens. As for being the best, I consider myself lucky to
    practice a healthy lifestyle and that's all. I have no plans of turning Pro at 32. I am competely
    happy racing at my level. I have a sub hour 40k TT and that is my only personal goal I strive for
    each season. Beyond that I race for my teammates only. DOMESTIQUE... hence the race radio issue.

  11. [email protected] (y2kc0wb0y) wrote: <cut>

    > > > A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be
    > > > obivous to you an many like you since the best racers use a radio.

    > <cut>
    >
    > I don't really think this issue is about being the best or racing with the best. I think we are
    > discusing safety. <cut>

    I'm having trouble keeping up with whether you're discussing others who use radios who happen to be
    the best, or are you discussing safety? Did you rack up a bunch of victories with your radios last
    year? What secret plan did you carry out that didn't become painfully obvious when you or one of
    your teammates started to ride faster? I'm assuming that there isn't too much planning needed when
    you or a teammate is already off the front winning the race.

    If you really cared about this, you and your club, oops, I mean "team" would have known that it was
    up for discussion during the USA Cycling rules revision process, and you would have participated.
    You don't care, so you're here whining on the internet, which never accomplishes anything at all.

    I know this is against the rules, but have you thought about selling those things over on r.b.m?

  12. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I don't really think this issue is about being the best or racing with the best. I think we are
    > discusing safety.

    I am not discussing safety. I am talking about practicality. Are there really that many (any?) races
    a 3 or 4 can compete in that radios will really make a difference in? How many teams in those races
    are organized and/or strong enough to take advantage of radios? Damn few, from the races I've been
    in or watched.

  13. Rod Kingston

    Rod Kingston Guest

    [email protected] (Sharon Peters) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Subject: Race Radios and 2003 USCF rules
    >
    > >How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule.
    >
    > YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME?
    >
    > RIGHT?
    >
    > YOU NEED A RADIO IN A CAT 3 RACE? WHAT THE FUCK FOR? TO ASK YOUR "DIRECTOR" IF ITS TIME TO BRING
    > BACK THE BREAK IN YOUR 15 MILE OFFICE PARK CRIT?
    >
    > JESUS, JUST RIDE AT THE FRONT AND USE YOUR BRAIN FOR GODS SAKE. THE RULE IS JUST AS MUCH ABOUT
    > TEACHING YOU ABOUT RACING YOUR BIKE AS IT IS ABOUT YOU RIDING SAFELY.
    >
    > OH, AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME THAT YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW TO RACE, THEN
    > A) WHAT DO YOU NEED THE RADIO FOR, AND B) WHY ARE YOU STILL A 4?
    >
    > THANKS SHARON
    >
    > ps: I was gonna start typing normally again, but douchebags like this just piss me off too much.
    > Maybe Avon was right, and I do have some anger management issues......

    IS IT JUST ME OR IS IT HOT WHEN SHARON GETS ALL MAD AND TALKS WITH A FILTHY MOUTH?

    ROD KINGSTON 1ST PLACE 2002 WINDY HILLS CYCLING CHALLENGE 4TH PLACE COMPOSTING CORP RACE FOR FREEDOM
    2002 5TH 20 YARD FOOT RACE, RECESS, 5TH GRADE

  14. Y2kc0wb0y

    Y2kc0wb0y Guest

    > I know this is against the rules, but have you thought about selling those things over on r.b.m?

    Teehehee... That's funny.

  15. Y2kc0wb0y

    Y2kc0wb0y Guest

    Tim, I agree that in some circumstance race radios are not a logical choice; however, USCF didn't
    make this choice to remove radios on a need only basis. They made their decision based entirely on
    safety. Therefore, I state if you make it to Cat3 your well on your way to mastery of your skills
    during racing conditions: including que'in a mic on a RR.

    I will again say that your just as likely to crash a bike(in a race) reaching for a water bottle as
    you are que'in your mic.

    y2kc0wb0y

    > I am not discussing safety. I am talking about practicality. Are there really that many (any?)
    > races a 3 or 4 can compete in that radios will really make a difference in? How many teams in
    > those races are organized and/or strong enough to take advantage of radios? Damn few, from the
    > races I've been in or watched.

  16. In article <[email protected]>, y2kc0wb0y
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tim, I agree that in some circumstance race radios are not a logical choice; however, USCF didn't
    > make this choice to remove radios on a need only basis. They made their decision based entirely on
    > safety. Therefore, I state if you make it to Cat3 your well on your way to mastery of your skills
    > during racing conditions: including que'in a mic on a RR.

    Are you a mind reader? Have you talked to each of the USCF Board members who voted for this rule
    change? If not then how do you know on what basis this rule change was adopted? I'm sure there are
    several different reasons why USCF Board members voted for this rule change. I'm sure safety was on
    reason but it probably wasn't the only reason.

    Casey

  17. Y2kc0wb0y

    Y2kc0wb0y Guest

  18. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    The new rule makes about as much practical sense as the old rule mandating black shorts.

    Not that I think very many Cat 3-5's have much use for radios.

    I think this speaks more to the federation'sattitude of shunning grass-roots racers in favor of the
    elite riders. I say: if they wanna play "pro" and shell out a few bucks for a stupid radio system,
    let 'em. Why step on them? To remind them that they're mere newbies (or that they suck)?

    Personally, I always get a chuckle when my "teammates" (ha) call me over to talk 'strategy' before
    the big Cat 4/5 races ("ok, we're all working for tommy today, he only needs one more upgrade
    point")...Uh yeah, like my yelling "Flyer left" is going to fucking help him. If he sprints real
    hard, then he'll do well. But they seem to enjoy thinking they're just like Lance's team. So why
    burst their bubble?

    I also don't see how banning radios will help the radio manufacturers any.

    I say the next move they should make would be to ban Spinergy's. I hate looking at the friggin
    annoying things. Too distracting. A cat 5 could crash looking at one of those.

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during
    > any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.
    >
    > Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year related to race radios. I raced the
    > entire season Cat 4 and never had a single problem within our 50 plus rider fields where some
    > turkey took a rider(s) out because he had to tell his Director Sportif that he wasn't going up the
    > road because he was tried.
    >
    > However, I can remember a few crashes trying to grab a water bottle and OOPs.. dropping it
    > from say the 5th or 6th spot into a nice crowd of 50 or 60 zone 5 racers... Ouch! .. I didn't
    > don't mom!
    >
    > I am of the opinion that this rule is good for Cat4 down because honestly if you reach Cat3 status
    > I think your well on your way to mastering the handling of your bike.
    >
    > What's next? No water bottles for anybody but Pro/1/2... I mean geez!!!
    >
    > How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule. [email protected]

  19. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    Why have the radios at all then? Sounds like they are just plain dangerous. If a cat 3 can crash
    fucking with an earpiece, then certainly some sprinter from fucking Oklahoma can too.

    [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org
    > regarding the
    > > > use of radios during any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.
    > > >
    > > > Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year
    > related to
    > > > race radios. I raced the entire season Cat 4
    > >
    > > What makes you think the rule is about crashes? It might be aimed at encouraging riders to learn
    > > how to race by using their own eyes.
    > >
    > > JT
    >
    > If this rule was made in conjunction with crashes, then I'd have to agree. I was in several races
    > this past season where some dumb ass took his hands off of his bars in a large group to fuck with
    > his radio and then took several others down with him for being stupid. I personally lost a good
    > set of race wheels and a lot of skin to one person for doing this. He was messing with his
    > earpiece (in a cat 3 race mind you), and hit one of those reflectors in the middle of the road,
    > went down, took me and 6 other people with him. He didn't even offer an apology after I cussed him
    > out loudly enough for everyone and God to hear. Didn't even offer to pay for my wrecked and
    > destroyed $1000 wheelset. Sure it's racing, and if I'm riding expensive stuff and crash and it
    > gets wrecked, that's part of the game right. But if someone destroys it for me by being stupid,
    > someone needs to cough up some dough. Aside from causing crashes, who are these guys talking to
    > during this race? Their teammates, whom they can see directly in front of them anyway as the
    > groups are usually no larger than 50 people anyway. I'm not a fan of radios in a cat 3 race, and
    > nobody really should be. Sure we want to be like the pros, but damn Jimmy, you'll be alright
    > without your Motorola.
    >
    > Tom

  20. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tim, I agree that in some circumstance race radios are not a logical

    Some? How about most? In pro races, where you have fields well in excess of 100 riders, and a
    caravan of team cars, radios make sense. How many Masters or 3/4 races meet those standards? I don't
    believe most elite fields need radios either, btw.

    > choice; however, USCF didn't make this choice to remove radios on a need only basis.

    No they didn't, but since they are allowed in pro races, and often you'll have a Pro/1/2 field, it
    makes sense to allow elite-level amatures to use them at least some of the time.

    > They made their decision based entirely on safety.

    An how, exactly, did you come to this conclusion?