Race Radios banned?

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
UCI votes to ban radios - VeloNews

This will get interesting, for sure.
Racers/teams boycotting races?
I don't know if the UCI will have the intestinal fortitude to pull it off - though I hope they do...In the end, this may be an attempt to extort more sponsorship money out of the radio manufacturers...yeah, that sounds about right for the UCI...

i have to agree with all the major points you've made. it certainly smacks of a uci cash grab more than their gussied up *****, "better racing." i'd like to think their motives to be wholesome, but this ban is going to require a total race ban, not the stage or two here and there.

They also banned PEDs. Do I need to elaborate or can you read between the lines?

tonyzackery said:
Forgive my ignorance. Please enlighten me...

EPO and other such drugs are also banned but I suspect they are still being used by individuals that seem to slip right through the cracks.
You got any theories on how they avoid detection?

jhuskey said:
EPO and other such drugs are also banned but I suspect they are still being used by individuals that seem to slip right through the cracks.

just spit-balling, i suppose one could secret the trans-ceiver in an orifice. then, by means of some surgery or, perhaps through the use of a blood vessel, ratting the wires up to the mastoid bones where you would place a microspeaker. the transmitter, co-located in said orifice would require reverse routing from a sub-cutaneous throat mic or a basic switch to be activated by clenching one's teeth. rudimentary, sure, and for those who don't know morse code, only reliable to answer "yes/no" questions. but the more veteran the user of the system would most likely resort to the use of more complex codes, navaho wind talker code for example. avoiding detection would be a snap provided you have a tue for your "prosthetic devices" which help alleviate the pain in your "hip."

jhuskey said:

So describe how a team is going to continue using race radios such that no one else will know???? Maybe clandestine radio use will be just as easily accomplished as illegal PED use. I think not, but you seem to have the answers...Please, further enlighten me...

Does anyone actually have a reason why race radios are good for racing?

tonyzackery said:
So describe how a team is going to continue using race radios such that no one else will know???? Maybe clandestine radio use will be just as easily accomplished as illegal PED use. I think not, but you seem to have the answers...Please, further enlighten me...

My point was it is about control and money. That's it nothing elses.Get it! Geez!

I am waiting a statement from DS who refused ban of radio on last TDF.

Will they do a strike?

jhuskey said:
My point was it is about control and money. That's it nothing elses.Get it! Geez!

LOL! All you do use is regurgitate my point made in my initial statement...? Get your own material, bud...:D

tonyzackery said:
LOL! All you do use is regurgitate my point made in my initial statement...? Get your own material, bud...:D

Sorry I will try and make it a point to find a way to disagree more often.
You want to talk about ibuprophen?:D

jhuskey said:
Sorry I will try and make it a point to find a way to disagree more often.
You want to talk about ibuprophen?:D

Pal, I don't know what's got your panties in a bunch (and really don't care) but I'm not interested in taking your bait...look in the mirror and you'll probably find the only person interested in arguing with you...I'm out...

tonyzackery said:
Pal, I don't know what's got your panties in a bunch (and really don't care) but I'm not interested in taking your bait...look in the mirror and you'll probably find the only person interested in arguing with you...I'm out...

Just calm down it was just posted in jest, ergo the smiley face.

jhuskey said:
Just calm down it was just posted in jest, ergo the smiley face.

LOL! My mistake entirely - you got me so upset and excited that I forgot to thank you for "elaborating" on the point you so eloquently made earlier and for helping me to "get it" with regard to all this race radio business, money, and control. With your contributions to this thread, you've assisted myself and many other onlookers with helping to eliminate the grey areas on this topic. Brilliant!:rolleyes:

Let me go and try to calm down now...LOL!

UCI votes to ban radios - VeloNews This will get interesting, for sure. Racers/teams boycotting races?The International Cycling Union is to stop riders from using two-way radios to talk with team bosses while racing.Cycling's governing body has stepped up its campaign to ban riders from using two-way radios to communicate with team managers.

ruselrones said:
UCI votes to ban radios - VeloNews This will get interesting, for sure. Racers/teams boycotting races?The International Cycling Union is to stop riders from using two-way radios to talk with team bosses while racing.Cycling's governing body has stepped up its campaign to ban riders from using two-way radios to communicate with team managers.

I wonder what they think this will archive? Does anyone have any clue?

Theories:
*Can collect payoffs from the teams(sponsors) that will derive the most advantage from radio usage.
*Keeps your name in the headlines as a means of being a powerful person and advancing your career by using the UCI as a stepping stone.
* You get your jollies by wielding your great power.
* All of the above.
* Wants to take cycle racing back to it's classic pristine form as originally intended. NAH!

The problem is that the UCI is planning on eliminating two way communication. Riders won't be able to talk to their DSes but the DSes will be able to talk to the riders. This solves nothing.