Race Report - 4 miler in Galesburg, Ill - Placed 3rd in AG again

R

Roger 2k

Name: 22nd Annual Carl Sandburg College 2 & 4 mile run/walk Date: Saturday, April 19th, 2003 9:00 am
Distance: 4 miles Location: Galesburg, Illinois URL: http://www.grrc.net Food: Usual Bananas,
cookies and pop. Goal: Average 7:20 miles Finish time 29:55 Over a minute slower than week's 4 miler
Trophy: 3rd in 45-49 AG by over 60 seconds. Shoes: 5 oz flats. Big Mistake: Went down the first hill
at top speed.

On Friday, I had to help move a bunch of things at work, since we moved to a new building. I was so
tired after work, I didn't see how I could do any good at all in Saturday's race.

Before the race, people were talking and they said that race used to draw about 1200 runners. They
said it was so packed that you couldn't even get into the gym, and that you had to park in another
lot, further away. This year there was plenty of parking in the close lot, they had 78 in the 4 mile
race and 58 in the 2 mile race. I know it was too close to Boston this year for a few runners.

There was someone I knew that ran the first mile real fast. A lot of people joked with him about it
later. He was way ahead of a lot of people, me included until we went down the first hill. I started
thinking, gee this hill is a lot of fun and took it near top speed. I started breathing pretty hard,
but caught the person that was way ahead, only to pay for that later.

I tried to keep running hard to the 3 mile marker, then I sort of gave up, only to make sure nobody
that looked like they were in my AG pass me.

At the awards, when I heard that the 1st place in my AG placed 2nd over all, I thought I didn't
stand a chance to get one. Turned out I ended up with the 3rd place trophy, just like last week,
except, I like this one better for some reason.

Splits 6:43 7:04 7:44 8:24

Thanks for reading and happy running, Roger

>From: "Roger 2k"

>Trophy: 3rd in 45-49 AG by over 60 seconds.

Congratulations on all the hardware, Roger...not bad...

>Shoes: 5 oz flats.

Damn those are light shoes...glad they work for you.

And hey, no one needs to know how many people were in the race... ;-)

Mike C

In article <[email protected]> "Roger 2k"
<[email protected]> writes:
>URL: http://www.grrc.net Finish time 29:55 Over a minute slower than week's 4 miler Trophy: 3rd in
>45-49 AG by over 60 seconds.
>
>At the awards, when I heard that the 1st place in my AG placed 2nd over all, I thought I didn't
>stand a chance to get one. Turned out I ended up with the 3rd place trophy, just like last week,
>except, I like this one better for some reason.
>
>Thanks for reading and happy running, Roger

Congrats on your AG 3rd and trophy, Roger! Always icing on the cake to win something! Did the
runners come in on little cat feet? ;-)

Teresa in AZ (I like Carl Sandburg's poetry...)

Teresa Plymate wrote in message ...
>Congrats on your AG 3rd and trophy, Roger! Always icing on the cake to win something! Did the
>runners come in on little cat feet? ;-)
>
>Teresa in AZ (I like Carl Sandburg's poetry...)

Teresa,

Well, I did see a few runners get upset when they missed the turnaround for the 2 mile race.

Even though they mentioned it at the start of the race, there was no sign that told the people in
the 2 mile race to turn at the 1 mile marker. I saw at least 2 girls miss the turn. I don't know how
many guys missed it, I'm not one for looking much at them.

Roger

>I tried to keep running hard to the 3 mile marker, then I sort of gave up, only to make sure nobody
>that looked like they were in my AG pass me.

Ah, a tactical race. Nice job hanging in there, and congrats on the trophy!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Thanks Brian and you did super on your half marathon. My best half ever is only 1:42, and that was
when I was in shape, so it looks like I have a ways to go to catch you.

BTW I ran my fastest 1600 meter today. It was 6:01.5 when my fastest before was 6:04. I was running
with two people that always beat me in races. They passed after the first lap and I stayed behind
them for a while.

The problem was, they slowed down for the third lap and then went even slower on the last lap. I
decided I'd had enough and at the end of the last turn I took off running pretty hard. I thought I'd
break 6 minutes for sure, but I guess I started my surge too late.

1600 meter splits 1:29.20, 1:31.81, 1:31.36, 1:29.13

Thanks again, Roger

Brian Baresch wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>>I tried to keep running hard to the 3 mile marker, then I sort of gave up, only to make sure
>>nobody that looked like they were in my AG pass me.
>
>Ah, a tactical race. Nice job hanging in there, and congrats on the trophy!
>
>--
>Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading
>
>If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

>Thanks Brian and you did super on your half marathon. My best half ever is only 1:42, and that was
>when I was in shape, so it looks like I have a ways to go to catch you.

Thanks, Roger. Hey, a year or two ago *I* was wondering if I could catch *you*. FWIW it appears
you're better at the shorter races and I do better at longer ones.

>BTW I ran my fastest 1600 meter today.

Nice job!

--

Brian Baresch wrote in message ...
>Thanks, Roger. Hey, a year or two ago *I* was wondering if I could catch *you*. FWIW it appears
>you're better at the shorter races and I do better at longer ones.
>--
>Brian P. Baresch

Thanks again Brian,

The time to beat last year, for the 1/4 mile uphill sprint, the one I'm training for, was 1:14. I
talked to someone yesterday about it, someone that was in it last year and he thinks it'll be down
to 1:10 this year. I haven't seen what I can do now, but I hope it is better than the 1:26 from
last year.

And to think, the first first time I ran that particular hill, I couldn't even make it all the
way up it.

Roger

>The time to beat last year, for the 1/4 mile uphill sprint, the one I'm training for, was 1:14. I
>talked to someone yesterday about it, someone that was in it last year and he thinks it'll be down
>to 1:10 this year. I haven't seen what I can do now, but I hope it is better than the 1:26 from
>last year.
>
>And to think, the first first time I ran that particular hill, I couldn't even make it all the
>way up it.

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll have to stop by and try that hill, just for
comparison's sake.

--

Brian Baresch wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>>The time to beat last year, for the 1/4 mile uphill sprint, the one I'm training for, was 1:14. I
>>talked to someone yesterday about it, someone that was in it last year and he thinks it'll be down
>>to 1:10 this year. I haven't seen what I can do now, but I hope it is better than the 1:26 from
>>last year.
>>
>>And to think, the first first time I ran that particular hill, I couldn't even make it all the
>>way up it.
>
>Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll have to stop by and try that hill, just for
>comparison's sake.
>
>Brian P. Baresch

There is a white starting line just a few feet up from the bottom of the hill. The finish line is
another white line just a little bit past an entry to a parking lot. That is probably 30 feet down
from the top of the hill.

I'll bet you can run it around 1:30, probably quite a bit faster if you could use the street, but
they only block that off for the time trials and the race.

I'm not going to try that particular hill for a while, I want to do some more training before
another dress rehearsal.

Roger