Race report: Bet She'an 1/2 Marathon (Israel)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Anthony, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Bet She'an 1/2 Marathon (25th running)
    Israeli National 1/2 marathon championships.
    Thursday 11 December, 2003
    Weather: warm 24C (75F)

    See the archives for background details to this race. (from previous years)

    This is the 4th time I've run the race, and I was looking for a PR after some solid training ahead
    of next month's marathon.

    I had a scare on Tuesday - went to the track for an easy hour of running on the grass - followed
    by some stretches - during the stretches I must have slightly strained my right adductor muscle.
    In some pain afterwards which was getting worse. I iced it several times that evening and the next
    day, and it seemed to clear up. I decided not to run the scheduled 5 or 6 km the day before the
    race as a precaution.

    Last week was cold with lots of rain. This week has seen the weather warming up. Bet She'an is 1
    of the hotter places in the country. It was warm for the race, but not too windy.

    My plan was to start off with some 4 - 4:10 kms and then increase to
    3:55 after 5k, and aim for 1:23 - 1:24 overall.

    I saw all my usual competitors charging off, but held back and still ran the 1st km in 3:54. Oh
    well - I eased off a bit more - felt very easy, and saw the next 3 pass in 4:02 - 4:05. I was
    starting to pass some early "chargers". Made it to 5k in 20:01 and increased the next 2k in
    3:53/3:54. I started to get a stitch in my right side. I was making sure to exhale on my left
    side, belly breathing, in through the nose, out through the mouth, purse lips on exhale - I tried
    every trick I knew but the stitch was getting worse - I was fighting through the pain. I wasn't
    going to stop but it did slow me down somewhat. Turn the corner at 7k and the wind kicks in - not
    dead in our faces - but blowing from the northeast as we are runnig east. I caught and drafted off
    a fellow age-group runner, and the side-pain eased off as my level of effort eased. (4:08) I told
    the guy at 8k I would switch and take the lead, but he dropped back. Wide gaps between runners,
    but I managed to gradually work my way through the pain and pick off more runners.
    (3:1/1:1)10k in 40:09. I tried switching back to land on right foot exhale, and voila! it felt a lot
    better. (4:05) Still running on that long stretch on the highway eastward - but I felt good
    to pick up the pace
    3:2/ 3:51. Now we bear right and the wind is more behind us. A short steep downhill (3:51) and up
    into the city of Bet She'an (3:59) and the last 5k in 19:42. The stitch returns and my progress
    through the ranks is halted (4:17) as we complete the turn and head westwards for the home
    stretch. The side-pain eases off again and I pass some more runners 3:51, 3:46. I pass a few of
    our better club runners, including out top woman who is running 2nd amongst the women in the
    race. Finally I come up to Sharon who is a great runner (10K pR 32) but has been doing very
    little training lately. I pass him, but he holds onto me. 3:59, 3:59. (5k 19:52). We turn for
    the last time after 20k and Sharon passes me, and I can't stay with him. The last
    4.1 in 4:15 (no 21k marker) and fininsh in a pr of 1:23:56. 27/550 (approx numbers) 5 in AG.

    The winner was Zvadia Wodeg in 1:07+ who finished ahead of 1 of our 2 Olympic marathon qualifiers,
    Asaf Bimro (he ran 2:14 in the World champs). Nili Avramski won the women's in 1:15+, and she's
    going for an Olympic qualifier (sub 2:37) in next month's marathon.

    Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

    Tags:

  2. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Anthony wrote:

    > Bet She'an 1/2 Marathon (25th running) Israeli National 1/2 marathon championships. Thursday 11
    > December, 2003 Weather: warm 24C (75F)

    The last
    > 1.1 in 4:15 (no 21k marker) and fininsh in a pr of 1:23:56. 27/550 (approx numbers) 5 in AG.

    Way to go, Anthony - stitch and hot weather and all! Congratulations on hanging in there and
    pulling off a pr.

    Dot

  3. Ed prochak

    Ed prochak Guest

    [email protected] (Anthony) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bet She'an 1/2 Marathon (25th running) Israeli National 1/2 marathon championships. Thursday 11
    > December, 2003 Weather: warm 24C (75F)
    >
    > See the archives for background details to this race. (from previous years)
    >
    > This is the 4th time I've run the race, and I was looking for a PR after some solid training ahead
    > of next month's marathon.

    []

    > My plan was to start off with some 4 - 4:10 kms and then increase to
    > 3:55 after 5k, and aim for 1:23 - 1:24 overall.
    >
    > I saw all my usual competitors charging off, but held back and still ran the 1st km in 3:54. Oh
    > well - I eased off a bit more - felt very easy, and saw the next 3 pass in 4:02 - 4:05. I was
    > starting to pass some early "chargers".
    []
    > race. Finally I come up to Sharon who is a great runner (10K pR 32) but has been doing very little
    > training lately. I pass him, but he holds onto me. 3:59, 3:59. (5k 19:52). We turn for the last
    > time after 20k and Sharon passes me, and I can't stay with him. The last
    > 1.1 in 4:15 (no 21k marker) and fininsh in a pr of 1:23:56. 27/550 (approx numbers) 5 in AG.
    >
    > The winner was Zvadia Wodeg in 1:07+ who finished ahead of 1 of our 2 Olympic marathon qualifiers,
    > Asaf Bimro (he ran 2:14 in the World champs). Nili Avramski won the women's in 1:15+, and she's
    > going for an Olympic qualifier (sub 2:37) in next month's marathon.
    >
    > Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

    Congratulations on a well run race.

    And thanks for sharing it. I enjoy reading about the battle for position during the races. Your
    descriptions were well done.

    Enjoy.
    Ed

  4. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Anthony <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    > 1.1 in 4:15 (no 21k marker) and fininsh in a pr of 1:23:56. 27/550 (approx numbers) 5 in AG.

    great race, anthony. that sub-3 next month definitely looks done.

    jobs

  5. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in message
    > Way to go, Anthony - stitch and hot weather and all! Congratulations on hanging in there and
    > pulling off a pr.

    Thanks Dot! Hopeffully - next race the conditions will be easier...

    Anthony.

  6. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    > great race, anthony. that sub-3 next month definitely looks done.

    Thanks jobs! I'm confident that I can run it, but at the same time know that there are no
    certainties when you're facing a marathon. Some cooler weather would be nice :)

    Anthony.

  7. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    [email protected] (Ed prochak) wrote in message n

    > Congratulations on a well run race.
    >
    > And thanks for sharing it. I enjoy reading about the battle for position during the races. Your
    > descriptions were well done.

    Thanks Ed.

    Anthony.