General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race report: Longford Half Marathon

Started by Colm · · Last activity · 1 post · 427 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 August 2004
Last activity
31 August 2004
Original author
Colm
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
427
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Date: 29th August 2004
    Location: Longford, Ireland
    Course type: Country roads.
    Fee: 35 euro

    This event has both a full and half run at the same time. About 600 or so
    (just a guess) participants over the 2 races. The start is shared by both
    events, with the course splitting in 2 after 7 miles. Registration (at a
    local school) was simple enough and goodie bags and t-shirts were given out
    before the race. The race start was about 5 minutes jog up the road into the
    town. At 10:00 we lined up and set off. The 1st mile was a loop within the
    town. Dodged the usual walkers who started at the front and went through
    mile 1 in 7:24. Mile 2 took us out of the town into a headwind.7:24 again.
    At this point I could feel my left shin tightening up. By the time I reached
    the 1st water station just short of mile 3 my left calf had tightened up as
    well. I was running with a limp so I was forced to stop and stretch. At this
    point I was looking at my first dnf. After a minute or so of stretching I
    gingerly rejoined the race. I ended up running alongside a woman who was
    doing a steady 8:15 pace. I stayed alongside her while I ran off my shin
    problem.
    At mile 7 the course split in 2. The marathoners continued on and we turned
    back towards the town. I felt comfortable enough to pick up the pace again.
    With the wind behind me I set off at about 7:15 pace. A guy in a red top
    took up the challenge and followed me. I decided to try picking runners who
    were 40-50m ahead of me and try to reel them in. I followed this plan until
    mile 12. Red-top guy was behind me all the way. He passed me at a water
    station but I overtook him again straight away. Over the last mile I could
    hear him getting closer behind me until he overtook me with about 1/2 mile
    to go. I was tired and I decided I wouldn't try to catch him. Then I saw the
    finish about 300m ahead. He had a lead of about 20m on me at this stage. I
    sprinted up alongside and past him. He responded and caught me. I speeded
    up. He caught me again. I put my head down and sprinted as hard as I could
    and crossed the line just ahead of him. My El Guerrouj moment :-)
    Time: 1:46. A PB by 3 minutes, but not as good as I had hoped. In the end I
    was happy just to finish.

    Afterwards: Massage, shower and change. The massage area was particularly
    well-staffed. Plenty of post-race fluids on offer as well. Then we were fed.
    Dinner was a choice of pasta, chicken, pizza and/or salad. Plenty of bread,
    cake, tea and coffee too.
    My verdict: I'll be back. Challenging course, well organised, plenty of
    extras.

    --
    Colm

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.