Race Report: Mad March Hare 20 (Training for FLM)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Kev, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Mad March Hare 20 (Training for FLM)
    Christchurch, Dorset, UK

    Brief race report (from towards the end of the pack) –

    300 entrants, 20 miles, "mildly undulating road couse", f***ing cold

    Target time - 10 min miles/ 3:20

    Race start 10am Sunday

    Dinner on Thursday: Pasta
    Lunch on Friday: Pasta
    Dinner on Friday: Pasta
    Lunch on Sat: Pasta
    Dinner on Sat: tuna sandwich (the mere mention of the P word now
    making me retch)

    Sunday pre-race breakfast around 7.45 – toast & jam, in the hope that
    it would be light enough that I wouldn't be tasting it again
    mid-morning

    8.45am Drive to venue, immediately queue for 25 mins at –0.5%c waiting
    for loos. Disconcerted by all the ice still on the puddles and the
    fact that all the other runners seem to have put on more than just a
    t-shirt for the event.

    9.30 Stuff down ½ bottle of Lucozade sport and a Powerbar – essential
    carbs to get me through first 90 mins. Used most of that up shivering
    during the following 30 mins of more standing around.

    10am – We're off! Got confused as to which direction the race would be
    going and so accidentally started at the front with the 6 minute
    milers.

    Found it easy to work my way through the pack, settling in in the
    middle where I thought it would be warmest.

    First mile split: 7:46 – "Shit I'm still going way too fast here."
    2nd mile split: 8:59 – Much better, and still very comfortable. "Hey
    Maybe all the pace training I've been doing means I should be aiming
    for 9 min miles after all."

    Next 14 or so miles were at a pretty comfortable 9 min mile pace,
    apart from:
    Mile 3 - piss stop in a field – thank you Farmer Brown!,
    Mile 10 - my fingers were so cold I couldn't get the top off my energy
    gel sachet without slowing and putting them somewhere ‘warm' for a
    couple of mins

    Then from around mile 15 I really started to feel it, slowing to 10,
    then 11 min miles. This was the painful realisation that maybe 9 min
    miles weren't such a good idea after all, and the result of my speedy
    start was probably just to deplete my ready glycogen stores way ahead
    of schedule. Whilst my energy gels should have averted all of this,
    I'm wondering how readily I managed to digest them in comparison to
    how fast I was using energy?

    Anyhoo, despite hobbling the painful last 5 miles or so at a snails
    pace (albeit a running one), I completed the course in 3 hours 11
    mins. That's ahead of the 3:20 I'd predicted (=good), but there's no
    way I'd have been able to add a further 6 miles and 1 hour to that
    (=bad).

    But that's what the training is al about – seeing what works and what
    doesn't. My next long run, will include probably going over the 3 hour
    mark again to try and bed all this down and be sure that I can safely
    maintain a pace. Plus this week I'll be mostly experimenting with
    different dilutions of the energy supplements to see if I can get them
    to kick in a little more reliably.

    Any other tips much welcomed.

    Post race strategy: Ibuprofen, more Lucozade Isotonic, lots of rubbing
    my calf muscles and wimpering.

    How was your weekend?

    Kev

    Tags:

  2. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    Nice report.

    Good plan on testing your pace in race conditions. Yet another example
    of the "start fast and you'll pay later" effect.

    Good luck.
    Ed

  3. Congrats on the race, Kev! Yeah, starting too fast will definately
    make it hard later in the race. I've done it. So has most everyone.
    But you made your goal, and that's an accomplishment. ANd
    sounds like this race was for learning, and you did that indeed.
    The weekend went fine, thanks, except for husband catching a
    nasty cold.

    Teresa in AZ

    Kev wrote:
    > Mad March Hare 20 (Training for FLM)
    > Christchurch, Dorset, UK
    >
    > Brief race report (from towards the end of the pack) –
    > Target time - 10 min miles/ 3:20
    >
    > Anyhoo, despite hobbling the painful last 5 miles or so at a snails
    > pace (albeit a running one), I completed the course in 3 hours 11
    > mins. That's ahead of the 3:20 I'd predicted (=good), but there's no
    > way I'd have been able to add a further 6 miles and 1 hour to that
    > (=bad).
    >
    > How was your weekend?
    >
    > Kev

  4. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Kev - nice report. Comments below.

    "Kev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mad March Hare 20 (Training for FLM)

    I'm also training for the FLM. Flying over from Israel a few
    days before.

    > Sunday pre-race breakfast around 7.45 - toast & jam, in the hope that
    > it would be light enough that I wouldn't be tasting it again
    > mid-morning

    This is exactly my ritual pre-race meal. Never had a problem.

    > First mile split: 7:46 - "Shit I'm still going way too fast here."

    A lot of runners do this. Adrenaline, nerves etc.
    Start at at what feels like a slow jog. Watch the runners
    around you take off like "March Hares" :) and realise that
    you will pass a lot of them somewhere down the track.

    > Then from around mile 15 I really started to feel it, slowing to 10,
    > then 11 min miles. This was the painful realisation that maybe 9 min
    > miles weren't such a good idea after all, and the result of my speedy
    > start was probably just to deplete my ready glycogen stores way ahead
    > of schedule. Whilst my energy gels should have averted all of this,
    > I'm wondering how readily I managed to digest them in comparison to
    > how fast I was using energy?

    It sounds like you had plenty of carbs/ energy input during the race.
    The main problem is that you were probably running faster than you
    should have been. Faster than your lactate threshold level building up
    lactic acid which caused you to crash. Your key concern ahead of the
    marathon is working out the correct pace. Using Mcmillan
    ( www.mcmillanrunning.com) your 3:11 time calculates a 4:14 marathon
    (9:33 pace). You could probably have run a few minutes quicker if you
    would have managed the pace better. What are you aiming for in
    London?

    > Anyhoo, despite hobbling the painful last 5 miles or so at a snails
    > pace (albeit a running one), I completed the course in 3 hours 11
    > mins. That's ahead of the 3:20 I'd predicted (=good), but there's no
    > way I'd have been able to add a further 6 miles and 1 hour to that
    > (=bad).

    If you'd have finished in 3:11 with even 9:33 miles you would have been
    laughing...

    > But that's what the training is al about - seeing what works and what
    > doesn't. My next long run, will include probably going over the 3 hour
    > mark again to try and bed all this down and be sure that I can safely
    > maintain a pace. Plus this week I'll be mostly experimenting with
    > different dilutions of the energy supplements to see if I can get them
    > to kick in a little more reliably.

    Regarding carbs/sports drinks I have run my past marathons solely
    on isotonic sports drinks. I got some Lucozade Sport (the drink
    they distribute on the FLM course) brought over from the UK.
    Those Lucozade Sports Pak pouches are great. I plan to take 1
    to the start, drink about 1/2 5-10 mins before the start and take the
    rest with me. Then there are 5 more stations. At each station I will
    drink some and finish it off as I go. That will give me about the
    right amount of carbs to finish the course. I'm planning (hoping)
    to run sub-3. With your 4 hour or so time you will probably need a bit
    more than what is provided on the course.

    > Any other tips much welcomed.

    Check out the FLM forums on Runners World UK. Lots of
    good info and tips.

    > Post race strategy: Ibuprofen, more Lucozade Isotonic, lots of rubbing
    > my calf muscles and wimpering.

    Good luck!

    Anthony.