Race Report: Mercury 10K, Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Brian Baresch, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Nice race, nice folks, good result.

    The Fort Worth Runners Club no-frills races are usually a lot of fun. I hadn't raced a 10K in some
    time; in the meantime I've lost a bit of weight and gained speed, so I figured a PR (beating a 44:54
    from back in March) was a given -- I figured on 43:15 or so. But I didn't feel all that great this
    week, and when I got to the starting line I realized I was wearing my regular training shoes rather
    than my lighter-weight NB 831s. Oh well ... should still be a good race.

    I didn't see the Dallas/Irving folks I like to pace off of, but one of the other competitors was the
    Big Guy, my friendly rival from races past. He beat me every time we met last year; I've had his
    number this year, but he's been doing speedwork twice a week so we figured it would be close. I also
    greeted Cora, a speedster who I figured would win the women's division.

    The course goes north through Trinity Park for just under a mile, then hops onto the river trail,
    goes back south past the finish area and southwest for a couple more miles, turns around again and
    heads for the finish. Big Guy said he'd pace off me, but we both went out too fast (close to 5K
    pace); I knew we were too fast when I realized we were in front of Cora! I counted the runners at
    the turnaround and figured I was in 25th place or so. Cora passed us before long, and BG went after
    her. Well, he likes those fast starts ... first mile was
    6:39, about 18 seconds faster than I intended.

    About here the second-place woman, Noreen, caught up to me, and we ran together for a couple of
    miles, both about 6:58, so I felt pretty good. Somewhere in mile 4 we caught the Big Guy, who had
    lost touch with Cora. The turnaround was close to mile 4 (they had the mile marker facing the wrong
    way, so the splits were off), then BG, who I had thought would fade after his fast start, found his
    reserve fuel tank and took off again, opening up about a 15-meter lead. We dropped the Noreen
    somewhere along in there.

    BG kept his lead, with an older guy in between us, and I had to push to keep him in sight. I passed
    mile 5 in 34:50 and figured it was time. In the sixth mile the trail makes a couple of dips under
    two bridges, where the good hill runners get separated from the bad. At the first dip I caught the
    older guy, then focused on the Big Guy; he can't possibly have enough left, can he? On the way down
    the second dip I caught him, and on the climb up the other side I passed him. We made encouraging
    noises at each other. I figured I had to go into my 200m sprint to hold him off; too late I
    realized it was still at least 500m to the finish. Well, nothing to be done about it now. Turns out
    BG's fast first miles used up his kick; he didn't challenge me after the dip. Somewhat to my
    surprise I still had Cora in sight and wondered if I could catch her too. As I suspected: NO. She
    had my number by 20 seconds.

    I crossed the line in 42:35, a PR by more than 2 minutes. Woo hoo! I do wonder whether the course
    was short -- later I jogged the last half-mile both directions with my Fitsense, which I just
    calibrated yesterday, and it had the bit between the 6 marker and the finish as .17 mile. If the
    rest of the course was accurate, that meant it was 250 feet short -- which would mean I still have a
    pretty good PR. Heck, I'll take it. But next time I'll look for a certified course.

    Afterward I chatted with some friends and co-workers and watched Cora pick up her winner's swag; the
    awards were authentic Mercury dimes from the 1920s. Two of my co-workers have had a friendly rivalry
    going back at least 30 races in several states. Today the one who until now always finished second
    beat the other one for the first time. Speedwork pays off! It was a touching moment.

    Post-race food was apples, bananas, corn chips, cookies, Powerade, soda and beer. Auto traffic
    wasn't a problem because we were on the trail for most of the way, though we had to share the path
    with non-racing bikers and pedestrians, not a real big deal. Points off for misplaced mile markers
    and some potholes in the first mile.

    Two and a half stars. Brian Bob says check it out.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Brian Baresch wrote:
    > Nice race, nice folks, good result.

    Sounds like you had a good race despite a jumpy start.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy of the course -- this tends to be swamped by other
    factors like amount degree of incline, surface, etc. What I like to use to compare different race
    performances is how well I do against my rivals and it sounds like you did just great. Likewise, I'm
    planning to beat one of the regulars here in an upcoming 5 miler (-;. Going after BG on the hills
    was probably a good tactical move -- inclines work to the advantage of smaller runners and to the
    disadvantage of the larger runners (because the bigger guys have to lug more weight up the hill).

    Cheers,

  3. M1ahearn

    M1ahearn Guest

    >> I didn't see the Dallas/Irving folks I like to pace off of, but one of the
    other competitors was the Big Guy, my friendly rival from races past. <<

    A lot of them were probably at the Waterworks 25K / 5K out at White Rock Lake.

    Mike

  4. >Sounds like you had a good race despite a jumpy start.

    Thanks, Donovan.

    >I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy of the course -- this tends to be swamped by other
    >factors like amount degree of incline, surface, etc.

    True. This course was similar in terrain to the one where I got my previous PR. My next 10K is on a
    much hillier course so I'm not expecting another best there.

    Thanks for the tactical thoughts too. (I used to be bigger than the Big Guy, but I've gotten
    serious about losing weight. He, OTOH, doesn't have much to lose -- he's tall and solid without
    much wasted.)

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  5. >>> I didn't see the Dallas/Irving folks I like to pace off of, but one of the
    >other competitors was the Big Guy, my friendly rival from races past. <<
    >
    > A lot of them were probably at the Waterworks 25K / 5K out at White Rock Lake.

    Judging from the results in the paper this morning, yes, they were. I thought about doing the 25K as
    a training run, but I'd have to get up earlier, drive farther and see fewer people I know, so it
    wasn't worth
    it.

    I may go to the Big D 30K in a few weeks tho'.

    --

  6. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:34:05 GMT, Brian Baresch wrote:

    >Nice race, nice folks, good result.

    Damn, it doesn't get much better than that, eh? When you snatch a PR, you don't mess around. Way
    to go! It sounds like a good event and your performance makes it sound even better. Certified,
    schmertified - they put on a 10K and you ran it. Besides, it was put on by a runner's club! Ya
    done good.

    Thanks, Layne

    The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

  7. >I truly hope that Austin works out. Not that there's anything wrong with the cowtown. Why, some of
    >my good friends have run Cowtown. I hope that Austin works out.

    Heh. Cowtown's new course, described in the paper this morning (Weds.), sounds pretty fast.

    >Hey, wait a minute, Jacksonville is a BQ event for 2004 and 2005.

    There you are! I'm not traveling much the next few months, but ...