Race Report: Mid-Michigan Marine 5k

Dave B .

Guest
I don't have a lot to write about the race. It was held at a facility where the Marines would
normally be, but they are all in Iraq. Most of the volunteers were spouses, mothers, and
girlfriends. People started singing along with the National Anthem at the beginning of the race.
Thinking of the young men who are over in Iraq made for a stirring start to the race.

I ran this race last year and many of the Marines were running with us.

It was around 40 degrees with a fierce wind. The wind was in our faces on the way out, so it felt
nice at our backs coming back, but it had already left me winded so I couldn't enjoy it as much as I
would have liked to.

I finished in 22:50, which is 15 seconds off my best 5k time (at least since high school cross
country 25+ years ago). Since there was also a 10k, and most the better runners seem to opt for the
longer race, I finished 10th overall and second in the age group (male 40-49). (My best guess until
results are posted is about 40 people in the 5k).

The lead 5k runner went down the 10k path and ended up finishing behind me (in 11th place). He
probably ran close to an extra mile (if not more). The races started together, split for a while,
got back together, and then split again. I think the guy was so far ahead that he surprised the
volunteers at the second split point and they didn't give hem clear directions. There were signs
posted, but the wind was blowing so hard that they were twisting around and not very readable. So
instead of a nice overall trophy, he got a little 3rd place age division award.

No interesting food, fashion, or fighting. And only apples and bananas at the finish. I'd love to be
at one of those that I read about here where there are donuts!

Nice run, Dave! Not everyone can say they beat the lead runner! <s> Good job, nice report. Thanks!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Good job, both on almost hitting your PR and placing in your AG!

Victoria

"Dave B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't have a lot to write about the race. It was held at a facility where the Marines would
> normally be, but they are all in Iraq. Most of the volunteers were spouses, mothers, and
> girlfriends. People started singing along with the National Anthem at the beginning of the race.
> Thinking of the young men who are over in Iraq made for a stirring start to the race.
>
> I ran this race last year and many of the Marines were running with us.
>
> It was around 40 degrees with a fierce wind. The wind was in our faces on the way out, so it felt
> nice at our backs coming back, but it had already left me winded so I couldn't enjoy it as much as
> I would have liked to.
>
> I finished in 22:50, which is 15 seconds off my best 5k time (at least since high school cross
> country 25+ years ago). Since there was also a 10k, and most the better runners seem to opt for
> the longer race, I finished 10th overall and second in the age group (male 40-49). (My best guess
> until results are posted is about 40 people in the 5k).
>
> The lead 5k runner went down the 10k path and ended up finishing behind me (in 11th place). He
> probably ran close to an extra mile (if not more). The races started together, split for a while,
> got back together, and then split again. I think the guy was so far ahead that he surprised the
> volunteers at the second split point and they didn't give hem clear directions. There were signs
> posted, but the wind was blowing so hard that they were twisting around and not very readable. So
> instead of a nice overall trophy, he got a little 3rd place age division award.
>
> No interesting food, fashion, or fighting. And only apples and bananas at the finish. I'd love to
> be at one of those that I read about here where there are donuts!

"Dave B." <[email protected]> wrote:

> I finished in 22:50, which is 15 seconds off my best 5k time (at least since high school cross
> country 25+ years ago). Since there was also a 10k, and most the better runners seem to opt for
> the longer race, I finished 10th overall and second in the age group (male 40-49).

Wow, congrats! I'd like to have your 5k time :)

Thanks for the report.

nina

In article <[email protected]> Dave B. <[email protected]> writes:
>I finished in 22:50, which is 15 seconds off my best 5k time (at least since high school cross
>country 25+ years ago). Since there was also a 10k, and most the better runners seem to opt for the
>longer race, I finished 10th overall and second in the age group (male 40-49). (My best guess until
>results are posted is about 40 people in the 5k).

Congrats, Dave! That's impressive, only 15 sec off your PR of 25+ years ago??? You deserved to have
had a donut! ;-)

Teresa in AZ

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:57:26 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Teresa Plymate) wrote:
>Congrats, Dave! That's impressive, only 15 sec off your PR of 25+ years ago??? You deserved to have
>had a donut! ;-)

Thanks. I'll have that donut, but I wasn't clear in my first message. I was 15 seconds off my adult
PR for a 5k. 25 years ago when I was in high school cross country, my times ranged from a low of
16:45 to up in the 18:00+. It all depended on the actual course length and terrain. My 16:45 was on
a golf course that was probably not a full
5k. The 18:00+ runs were on hilly courses.

I would love to have some of that speed back, but the first step is to lose a ton of weight.