Race Report: Nike 1 Hit Wonders - NYC

Nike sponsors these evening races in some of the major cities in the
US...basically their big races combining Rock N Roll, running, and of
course pushing the Nike logo/products etc at promotional tents, etc.

They close off/reserve a whole section of NYC's central park for this
runners & concert. 5 Mile race, concert before, during, and after the
race. Cool. As I arrive on the scene it's basically a festival and
The Donnas are on stage jamming. Rock N Roll chicks, cool with me. I
ran 5 miles this morning and have maintained my standard training and
plugged this race into my schedule to function as my standard evening
training run.

Nonetheless I show up in NB 240 flats and warm up and catch up with
some of the regular runners on my circuit. Big race, 10,000
people....beautiful night...I know I'm racing in 3 days so I am focused
on not letting loose and going all out tonight. This is just a
"training run"...that's my personal mantra. Yeah right.

I don't run into the chick I wanted to run with and her 10 minute
pace....so I find myself migrating up to the players.....the runners
out to kick some ass.

I'll admit it. I'm basically like a drug addict and can't resist
it...the competition...the race. Why...it's the environment up front
at the start of the race. Everyone is wearing flats of some
flavor...you notice it....and it tells you something. They have on
their aerodynamic sunglasses....everyones geared up in some flavor of
fancy timing device on their wrist....you get caught up into it....and
that I did.

Horn starts the race and as usual all I want to do is break out free
and clear of incident...and that I do. I get open space and then
intentionally go into a relaxed mode. I'm striding, relaxed....about a
half mile into the race at the North End of Central Park they have a
small stage set up to entertain the runners and it's the Rap artist
"Chingy". I glanced and thought, "Cool"...but I'm doing my thing at
the moment...and focus back to the race. I scale the hills, feel
strong...runner friends I have not seen in a while cruise adjacent to
me and we have an actual conversation mid-race.

I've seen lots of other runners do this...but I never have.
But...yup...there I was mid race having a conversation about running
and other stuff with other runners during the race. It was a hot night
in NYC...and at the water stops...I did not ever actually take a swig
of agua. Nope...splashed several cups into my face....splahsed a
couple over my head...but never had the urge to drink. 5 mile
race....30 some odd minutes of running for me...I can deal comfortably
free of swallowing water.

I've been training daily through July's heat and humidity and it paid
off today. Humidity tongiht was only about 50%....no biggie. The
running gods treated me well today. At no point did I feel like I was
going 100%, at no point did I feel like I was dying....I raced tonight
at about 90% or so....don't know my time yet but I probably clocked a
6:20-6:25 min/mile.

What was personally amazing for me in this race was my ability to
maintain for me a fairly fast pace despite having ran in the morning
and yesterday, etc. and so forth. This was just a "plug in" for me,
not a prepatory event.

I'm racing for speed on Saturday in a 4 miler and looking to clock a
24:00. Hence I will do a final 5 miler Thursday morning and give
myself 48 hours of rest prior to racing Sat. Morning.

Final note on the race....at the finish I had the urge to put on a
sprint 100 yards out and went for it....I snatched some folks but with
about 50 yards to go...I snatached a guy that did not like it and
challenged me stride for stride w/about 40 yards remaining. He caught
me....passed me...and finished at least 1 second ahead of me. After we
passed the mats and had our chips cut from our shoes.....I approached
him from behind, patted his shoulder and said, "well done"....he gave
me a glaring look, an annoyed look and said, "damn man you made me pop
a blister"....I've never been caught/snatched in the final sprint like
this guy caught me tonight. I brushed it off....and reminded myself
it's a light and easy night. I'm just glad I was able to sub a race
for a training run and feel strong in doing so.

Never caught up with the chick I wanted to....but I'm not a totally
stupid cookie. At the baggage check in I retrieved my sports
bag...which had in it 2 earlier frozen bottles of Jackaroo Chardonnay,
a cork screw, and a sleeve of dixie cups.

Made my way onto the lawn....saw some running folks I know...kicked
back and served chilled wine while Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were
on stage jamming Crimson & Clover, I Love Rock N Roll, and Bad
Reputation! (to name a few).

Very Cool night in NYC. The only thing missing was Donovan & CP to
drink and be merry with....

>I snatched some folks but with
about 50 yards to go...I snatached a guy>

You ****** a guys nutsack in Mass, and you get beaten senseless. I
guess those are the differences between here and NYC.

[email protected] wrote:
> served chilled wine while Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were
> on stage jamming Crimson & Clover, I Love Rock N Roll,
>
> The only thing missing was Donovan & CP

Congrats on having a fun race. Hope you hook up with whats-her-name
soon.

Will you offer a rain check on that chardonnay? Though tonight
actually would've been ideal: cold glass o'wine would've hit the spot
after ye olde tempo run.

I've seen Joan Jett play those songs - quarter century ago, age ~12,
first rock show. Family vacation, Seattle, folks wanted alone time so
I took younger brother down the street to the show. Bar-Kays also
playing nearby, same time; upon returning found that much of the hotel
staff had gone to see them. A few yrs later I would've chosen Bar-Kays
too. :)

[email protected] wrote:

> Never caught up with the chick I wanted to....but I'm not a totally
> stupid cookie. At the baggage check in I retrieved my sports
> bag...which had in it 2 earlier frozen bottles of Jackaroo Chardonnay,
> a cork screw, and a sleeve of dixie cups.
>
> Made my way onto the lawn....saw some running folks I know...kicked
> back and served chilled wine while Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were
> on stage jamming Crimson & Clover, I Love Rock N Roll, and Bad
> Reputation! (to name a few).
>
> Very Cool night in NYC.

Hey Lance, wouldn't it be funny if she didn't show up because you were
bragging about the booty call on r.r. ? It's happened before through
usenet.

It's more my style to buy a beer from a guy selling it from a leaking
duffle bag. You might be onto something with the chardonnay. You
might be able to run some of those guys out of business.

not bragging about the chick...heck, if i wanted to brag i'd be piping
up on this ng for years about my puerto rican model
girlfriend....donovan's met her with me running in the park several
times. Ya know the latina chick on Desperate Housewives....well crank
it up another notch and add green eyes. More exotic than Angelina
Jolie. Only problem is she's c-r-a-z-y as F%#k.

Good female runner though...she had flat feet and I used to get her
Brooks Dyad running shoes.

What kept us together for nearly 3 years? Running. I am not kidding.
We'd argue, not speak for a couple of weeks...then call each other up
to go on a training run. Running goes a long way in overlooking some
things in a person and appreciating their detemination and personal
will. Running was like the glue in our relaitonship. You can't fake
running, you can't posture it, no short cuts.

Men & women can buy a lot of "varnish" (cosmetic appearance, etc.) to
make themeselves appear in a particular light. When I used to run w/my
girlfriend I would sometimes fall some steps back off the pace and just
watch her drive up a hill....striding, pumping her
arms...fighting....and man, that stuff is real...that's who she
is...strong willed with plenty of fight.

just saw my time, i ran at a 6:28 pace and took 11th in my age group.
real pleased w/that all things considered and in context. night racing
has a completely different feel to it. this race started at 7pm. it
was 88F w/48% humidity so we got a break.