Race Report: Nike 1 Hit Wonders - NYC

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Nike sponsors these evening races in some of the major cities in the
    US...basically their big races combining Rock N Roll, running, and of
    course pushing the Nike logo/products etc at promotional tents, etc.

    They close off/reserve a whole section of NYC's central park for this
    runners & concert. 5 Mile race, concert before, during, and after the
    race. Cool. As I arrive on the scene it's basically a festival and
    The Donnas are on stage jamming. Rock N Roll chicks, cool with me. I
    ran 5 miles this morning and have maintained my standard training and
    plugged this race into my schedule to function as my standard evening
    training run.

    Nonetheless I show up in NB 240 flats and warm up and catch up with
    some of the regular runners on my circuit. Big race, 10,000
    people....beautiful night...I know I'm racing in 3 days so I am focused
    on not letting loose and going all out tonight. This is just a
    "training run"...that's my personal mantra. Yeah right.

    I don't run into the chick I wanted to run with and her 10 minute
    pace....so I find myself migrating up to the players.....the runners
    out to kick some ass.

    I'll admit it. I'm basically like a drug addict and can't resist
    it...the competition...the race. Why...it's the environment up front
    at the start of the race. Everyone is wearing flats of some
    flavor...you notice it....and it tells you something. They have on
    their aerodynamic sunglasses....everyones geared up in some flavor of
    fancy timing device on their wrist....you get caught up into it....and
    that I did.

    Horn starts the race and as usual all I want to do is break out free
    and clear of incident...and that I do. I get open space and then
    intentionally go into a relaxed mode. I'm striding, relaxed....about a
    half mile into the race at the North End of Central Park they have a
    small stage set up to entertain the runners and it's the Rap artist
    "Chingy". I glanced and thought, "Cool"...but I'm doing my thing at
    the moment...and focus back to the race. I scale the hills, feel
    strong...runner friends I have not seen in a while cruise adjacent to
    me and we have an actual conversation mid-race.

    I've seen lots of other runners do this...but I never have.
    But...yup...there I was mid race having a conversation about running
    and other stuff with other runners during the race. It was a hot night
    in NYC...and at the water stops...I did not ever actually take a swig
    of agua. Nope...splashed several cups into my face....splahsed a
    couple over my head...but never had the urge to drink. 5 mile
    race....30 some odd minutes of running for me...I can deal comfortably
    free of swallowing water.

    I've been training daily through July's heat and humidity and it paid
    off today. Humidity tongiht was only about 50%....no biggie. The
    running gods treated me well today. At no point did I feel like I was
    going 100%, at no point did I feel like I was dying....I raced tonight
    at about 90% or so....don't know my time yet but I probably clocked a
    6:20-6:25 min/mile.

    What was personally amazing for me in this race was my ability to
    maintain for me a fairly fast pace despite having ran in the morning
    and yesterday, etc. and so forth. This was just a "plug in" for me,
    not a prepatory event.

    I'm racing for speed on Saturday in a 4 miler and looking to clock a
    24:00. Hence I will do a final 5 miler Thursday morning and give
    myself 48 hours of rest prior to racing Sat. Morning.

    Final note on the race....at the finish I had the urge to put on a
    sprint 100 yards out and went for it....I snatched some folks but with
    about 50 yards to go...I snatached a guy that did not like it and
    challenged me stride for stride w/about 40 yards remaining. He caught
    me....passed me...and finished at least 1 second ahead of me. After we
    passed the mats and had our chips cut from our shoes.....I approached
    him from behind, patted his shoulder and said, "well done"....he gave
    me a glaring look, an annoyed look and said, "damn man you made me pop
    a blister"....I've never been caught/snatched in the final sprint like
    this guy caught me tonight. I brushed it off....and reminded myself
    it's a light and easy night. I'm just glad I was able to sub a race
    for a training run and feel strong in doing so.

    Never caught up with the chick I wanted to....but I'm not a totally
    stupid cookie. At the baggage check in I retrieved my sports
    bag...which had in it 2 earlier frozen bottles of Jackaroo Chardonnay,
    a cork screw, and a sleeve of dixie cups.

    Made my way onto the lawn....saw some running folks I know...kicked
    back and served chilled wine while Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were
    on stage jamming Crimson & Clover, I Love Rock N Roll, and Bad
    Reputation! (to name a few).

    Very Cool night in NYC. The only thing missing was Donovan & CP to
    drink and be merry with....

    Tags:

  2. >I snatched some folks but with
    about 50 yards to go...I snatached a guy>

    You snatch a guys nutsack in Mass, and you get beaten senseless. I
    guess those are the differences between here and NYC.

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > served chilled wine while Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were
    > on stage jamming Crimson & Clover, I Love Rock N Roll,
    >
    > The only thing missing was Donovan & CP

    Congrats on having a fun race. Hope you hook up with whats-her-name
    soon.

    Will you offer a rain check on that chardonnay? Though tonight
    actually would've been ideal: cold glass o'wine would've hit the spot
    after ye olde tempo run.

    I've seen Joan Jett play those songs - quarter century ago, age ~12,
    first rock show. Family vacation, Seattle, folks wanted alone time so
    I took younger brother down the street to the show. Bar-Kays also
    playing nearby, same time; upon returning found that much of the hotel
    staff had gone to see them. A few yrs later I would've chosen Bar-Kays
    too. :)

  4. Did they charge extra for injuries? Or do you just use the shoes that
    have it built in? (any nike)

  5. gym.gravity

    gym.gravity Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Never caught up with the chick I wanted to....but I'm not a totally
    > stupid cookie. At the baggage check in I retrieved my sports
    > bag...which had in it 2 earlier frozen bottles of Jackaroo Chardonnay,
    > a cork screw, and a sleeve of dixie cups.
    >
    > Made my way onto the lawn....saw some running folks I know...kicked
    > back and served chilled wine while Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were
    > on stage jamming Crimson & Clover, I Love Rock N Roll, and Bad
    > Reputation! (to name a few).
    >
    > Very Cool night in NYC.

    Hey Lance, wouldn't it be funny if she didn't show up because you were
    bragging about the booty call on r.r. ? It's happened before through
    usenet.

    It's more my style to buy a beer from a guy selling it from a leaking
    duffle bag. You might be onto something with the chardonnay. You
    might be able to run some of those guys out of business.

  6. not bragging about the chick...heck, if i wanted to brag i'd be piping
    up on this ng for years about my puerto rican model
    girlfriend....donovan's met her with me running in the park several
    times. Ya know the latina chick on Desperate Housewives....well crank
    it up another notch and add green eyes. More exotic than Angelina
    Jolie. Only problem is she's c-r-a-z-y as F%#k.

    Good female runner though...she had flat feet and I used to get her
    Brooks Dyad running shoes.

    What kept us together for nearly 3 years? Running. I am not kidding.
    We'd argue, not speak for a couple of weeks...then call each other up
    to go on a training run. Running goes a long way in overlooking some
    things in a person and appreciating their detemination and personal
    will. Running was like the glue in our relaitonship. You can't fake
    running, you can't posture it, no short cuts.

    Men & women can buy a lot of "varnish" (cosmetic appearance, etc.) to
    make themeselves appear in a particular light. When I used to run w/my
    girlfriend I would sometimes fall some steps back off the pace and just
    watch her drive up a hill....striding, pumping her
    arms...fighting....and man, that stuff is real...that's who she
    is...strong willed with plenty of fight.

    just saw my time, i ran at a 6:28 pace and took 11th in my age group.
    real pleased w/that all things considered and in context. night racing
    has a completely different feel to it. this race started at 7pm. it
    was 88F w/48% humidity so we got a break.