race report: Point Bock Run 5 mile

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jma, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Jma

    Jma Guest

    Event: Point Bock Run - Stevens Point, WI 3-6-04
    Sponsor: Point Brewery
    Distance: 5 miles
    My time: 49:05 (362 out of 440 :])
    mile 1: 9:18
    mile 2: 9:40
    mile 3: 11:00
    mile 4: 9:32
    mile 5: 9:35
    website: www.pointbockrun.com

    This was my first 5 mile race. Last year I did my first ever
    5K races (3 of them) at age 37(f). I also went from 300
    pounds to 150 last year. I had trained well in January, but
    my miles in Feburary went down considerably due to illness
    and injury. I had a great training run last Sunday and was
    psyched. Then, I almost had to pull out of the race because
    I have a condition that causes severe edema (water
    retention) and had a pretty bad case of it Wednesday that
    had my feet and legs almost too swollen to walk, but it
    improved by Saturday morning.

    The race was about 100 miles from home. It was 30-35 degrees
    F and cloudy. As I expected, the environment of the race
    served to provide a little energy boost. I was no longer
    shooting for 45 min and after a brief warmup run I figured
    I'd be happy with 50-55 min. There were over 400 people
    registered by the starting time making this the largest race
    I've done so far. I started toward the back, took 12 seconds
    to cross the starting line and off I went.

    The first mile was the hardest - I couldn't believe how long
    it took, then as they were calling out the times and I heard
    9:18 I realized I was right where I wanted to be and doing
    better than I thought. The course was relatively flat but
    not very scenic. The first mile went through a residential
    neighborhood.

    That gave me enough energy to get through the next mile
    pretty easily and then due to my experiences in training
    and counting my breaths I knew I had to pull back a tad for
    the 3rd mile or risk not having enough to finish. There
    were some uphill grades in the third mile, plus the
    turnaround at the
    2.5 mile point, but I was saving myself for miles 4 & 5. The
    second mile was also interesting because the front runners
    were headed back toward the finish and passed us -
    something I hadn't experienced before. People were
    cheering each other on each side of the course and even
    exchanging some high-fives.

    The last two miles weren't hard, but I had a hard time
    breathing. It was around 30 degrees and we were on streets
    with traffic so the fumes from trucks and from fireplaces &
    woodstoves all served to interfere with my breathing
    (reactive airway). This is where the extra poundage (about
    15 pounds of water weight from the edema earlier in the
    week) really came into play to try and screw things up. I
    was starting to peak at the end of the 4th mile and wheezing
    up a storm but just kept thinking about keeping up with the
    woman directly in front of me.

    About .3 mile before the finish, a friend of mine who
    already finished had doubled back and found me and ran the
    end with me providing coaching and support. I did a full
    sprint into the finish chute and was kind of shocked to see
    the clock - I was going to finish under 50:00. I thought I'd
    lost time with the breathing trouble. I finished 1 second
    behind the woman I had decided to try and keep up with.

    They served water, gatorade, bagels, fruit, and Point root
    beer after the race. There were 6 packs of beer given away
    as door prizes - I didn't win any but all racers got a
    coupon for a free Point Bock beer at a local eatery.

    I competed in the "Big Bock" division which was for women
    >150 lbs and men
    >200 lbs. I was 6th out of 19 in that division, 14th out of
    >22 in my AG
    (35-39). I did better than I thought I would considering how
    I felt earlier in the week. This was my first race that I
    finished under 10:00 mile pace. Next race is a 5K in May and
    I'm shooting for my 9:00 miles that I've done in training.

    Jenn *really* glad I bought the polartec fleece!

    Tags:

  2. Conngratulations on the weight loss and on your performance in the race.
    Nice report, too.
    "JMA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Event: Point Bock Run - Stevens Point, WI 3-6-04 Sponsor:
    > Point Brewery Distance: 5 miles My time: 49:05 (362 out of
    > 440 :]) mile 1: 9:18 mile 2: 9:40 mile 3: 11:00 mile 4:
    > 9:32 mile 5: 9:35 website: www.pointbockrun.com
    >
    > This was my first 5 mile race. Last year I did my first
    > ever 5K races (3
    of
    > them) at age 37(f). I also went from 300 pounds to 150
    > last year. I had trained well in January, but my miles in
    > Feburary went down considerably
    due
    > to illness and injury. I had a great training run last
    > Sunday and was psyched. Then, I almost had to pull out of
    > the race because I have a condition that causes severe
    > edema (water retention) and had a pretty bad case of it
    > Wednesday that had my feet and legs almost too swollen to
    > walk, but it improved by Saturday morning.
    >
    > The race was about 100 miles from home. It was 30-35
    > degrees F and
    cloudy.
    > As I expected, the environment of the race served to
    > provide a little
    energy
    > boost. I was no longer shooting for 45 min and after a
    > brief warmup run I figured I'd be happy with 50-55 min.
    > There were over 400 people
    registered
    > by the starting time making this the largest race I've
    > done so far. I started toward the back, took 12 seconds to
    > cross the starting line and
    off
> [...]
    > decided to try and keep up with.
    >
    > They served water, gatorade, bagels, fruit, and Point root
    > beer after the race. There were 6 packs of beer given away
    > as door prizes - I didn't win any but all racers got a
    > coupon for a free Point Bock beer at a local eatery.
    >
    > I competed in the "Big Bock" division which was for women
    > >150 lbs and men
    > >200 lbs. I was 6th out of 19 in that division, 14th out
    > >of 22 in my AG
    > (35-39). I did better than I thought I would considering
    > how I felt
    earlier
    > in the week. This was my first race that I finished under
    > 10:00 mile
    pace.
    > Next race is a 5K in May and I'm shooting for my 9:00
    > miles that I've done in training.
    >
    > Jenn *really* glad I bought the polartec fleece!

  3. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "JMA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > This was my first 5 mile race. Last year I did my first
    > ever 5K races (3
    of
    > them) at age 37(f). I also went from 300 pounds to 150
    > last year. I had trained well in January, but my miles in
    > Feburary went down considerably
    due
    > to illness and injury. I had a great training run last
    > Sunday and was psyched. Then, I almost had to pull out of
    > the race because I have a condition that causes severe
    > edema (water retention) and had a pretty bad case of it
    > Wednesday that had my feet and legs almost too swollen to
    > walk, but it improved by Saturday morning.
    <snip>

    Congrats for the substantial weight loss and also the sub-10
    minute miles! You must feel very good about these major
    positive changes.

    I've seen edema often while working at the hospital - folks
    with vascular disease, etc. - I can imagine this would not
    be very fun at all. Best of luck getting the regular
    training back in order.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

  4. Big Congrats, Jen! Sorrry you had to face all those
    problems, yet you still pulled a good race out of it. I'll
    bet you do run your
    9:00's in the upcoming race. Best of Luck!

    Teresa in AZ (It's supposed to be 90F here today! Yikes!)

    JMA wrote:

> [...]
    > thought I'd lost time with the breathing trouble. I
    > finished 1 second behind the woman I had decided to try
    > and keep up with.
    >
    > They served water, gatorade, bagels, fruit, and Point root
    > beer after the race. There were 6 packs of beer given away
    > as door prizes - I didn't win any but all racers got a
    > coupon for a free Point Bock beer at a local eatery.
    >
    > I competed in the "Big Bock" division which was for women
    > >150 lbs and men
    >
    >>200 lbs. I was 6th out of 19 in that division, 14th out of
    >>22 in my AG
    >
    > (35-39). I did better than I thought I would considering
    > how I felt earlier in the week. This was my first race
    > that I finished under 10:00 mile pace. Next race is a 5K
    > in May and I'm shooting for my 9:00 miles that I've done
    > in training.
    >
    > Jenn *really* glad I bought the polartec fleece!

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    JMA wrote:

    > Event: Point Bock Run - Stevens Point, WI 3-6-04 Sponsor:
    > Point Brewery Distance: 5 miles My time: 49:05 (362 out
    > of 440 :])

    > This was my first 5 mile race. Last year I did my first
    > ever 5K races (3 of them) at age 37(f). I also went from
    > 300 pounds to 150 last year.
    >
    > About .3 mile before the finish, a friend of mine who
    > already finished had doubled back and found me and ran the
    > end with me providing coaching and support. I did a full
    > sprint into the finish chute and was kind of shocked to
    > see the clock - I was going to finish under 50:00. I
    > thought I'd lost time with the breathing trouble. I
    > finished 1 second behind the woman I had decided to try
    > and keep up with.

    Congratulations on your 1st 5 miler, Jenn! Sounds like you
    were able to overcome a few difficulties and still finish in
    good time.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  6. Jma

    Jma Guest

    "Dot" <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > JMA wrote:
    >
    > > Event: Point Bock Run - Stevens Point, WI 3-6-04
    > > Sponsor: Point Brewery Distance: 5 miles My time: 49:05
    > > (362 out of 440 :])
    >

    > > This was my first 5 mile race. Last year I did my first
    > > ever 5K races
    (3 of
    > > them) at age 37(f). I also went from 300 pounds to 150
    > > last year.
    > >
    > > About .3 mile before the finish, a friend of mine who
    > > already finished
    had
    > > doubled back and found me and ran the end with me
    > > providing coaching and support. I did a full sprint into
    > > the finish chute and was kind of
    shocked
    > > to see the clock - I was going to finish under 50:00. I
    > > thought I'd
    lost
    > > time with the breathing trouble. I finished 1 second
    > > behind the woman I
    had
    > > decided to try and keep up with.
    >
    > Congratulations on your 1st 5 miler, Jenn! Sounds like you
    > were able to overcome a few difficulties and still finish
    > in good time.
    >
    > Dot

    Thanks Dot and to everyone else who extended their good
    wishes. I'm looking forward to a fun 5K & 10K summer. BTW
    Dot, I might be spending some time in Fairbanks this summer.
    I won't know for sure until the end of April.

    Jenn

  7. Dot

    Dot Guest

    JMA wrote:
    > BTW Dot, I might be spending some time in Fairbanks this
    > summer.

    Cool! If you're looking for some races in the area, try this
    http://www.runningclubnorth.org/rcn_8cal.htm

    which I think is a subset of
    http://www.muni.org/iceimages/parks/ACF1A62.pdf (schedule
    for entire state, but might have some races in Fbks area
    that aren't Running Club North)

    The university trails on West Ridge (west end of campus) are
    largely xc ski trails (wide, groomed) and have maps at major
    intersections. Pretty flat except for some gradual grades. I
    can post some links to maps if you're interested (need to
    find them again).

    Enjoy! Oh, it can get to 90+F in the summer there.

    I'm sometimes in the Faibanks area briefly during the
    summer, but usually June or August for field work.

    Dot