Race Report: Run to Joe's 5K, Fort Worth, Texas

Brian Baresch

Guest
A pretty good run, but I. Just. Didn't. Have it. Today. My excuses: It was cold and windy, the
course was hilly, I worked late (past midnight) last night, and thanks to moving last week I've
hardly trained in a fortnight. Even so ...

The course goes up a fairly steep hill, down the other side, turns around, and then along a parklike
boulevard and back (missing the big hill on the return). The wind was in our faces for the last mile
or so, which was also mainly uphill (though not steep). I set out at what felt like 6:50 pace, but I
missed the first mile marker (I think I was looking at the leaders coming back -- three guys real
close together), so I didn't know it was more like 7:15, which is actually my 10K pace. Drat! I
figured it out at 2 miles, but even then I didn't have the horses to pick it up much, and I came in
at 22:17, about 17 seconds slower than I ran the first half of a 10K two weeks ago. (A 12-year-old
outkicked me at the end.) My first off-day race of the year. They happen. I was 20th out of 128 in
my age group, 145th

It was cool getting to see the leaders twice -- the second time two of them had pulled away from
third place a bit but were still fighting it out themselves. At the awards ceremony they said it was
virtually a photo finish.

The trophies were pretty cool, carved-wood parrots. (The "mascot" of the race is a parrot, the
symbol of Joe T. Garcia's, the eponymous restaurant where the race begins and ends.)Two guys in
parrot suits were cheering the runners on, one of them from the back of the pace vehicle. There
was also a big cat running around, the mascot of the local baseball team. Two separate water
stations on the course. Food was bagels, mini muffins, small danishes, oranges, bananas, jalapeno
poppers(!) and beer.

Three stars. Brian Bob says check it out.

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:49:36 GMT, Brian Baresch wrote:

>A pretty good run, but I. Just. Didn't. Have it. Today. My excuses: It was cold and windy, the
>course was hilly, I worked late (past midnight) last night, and thanks to moving last week I've
>hardly trained in a fortnight. Even so ...

[report snipped but appreciated]

Man, that sounds like an event that was begging to be run as a fun run <G>. After all the
distractions, that's a very nice time and placement. Of course, now that you've gotten speedy, ...
:) The event sounds like a lot of fun (getting to see the leaders, hills, food). Nice awards. Susan
(since I wouldn't see one) likes the wooden carved ones, too. Too bad you didn't feel better - it
sounds like a nice celebration.

Thanks, Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Whoo hooo! Sounds likes lots of fun. Always enjoyed your course descriptions, but this one sounded
extra special.

Victoria

news:[email protected]...

Brian Baresch wrote: []
> Two separate water stations on the course. Food was bagels, mini muffins, small danishes,
> oranges, bananas, jalapeno poppers(!) and beer.
>
> Three stars. Brian Bob says check it out.

Any race that supplies the beer has got to be good!

Hey good run and nice report. Thanks.

--
Ed Prochak running: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ family:
http://web.magicinterface.com/~collins

In article <[email protected]>, Brian Baresch
<[email protected]> wrote:

> A pretty good run, but I. Just. Didn't. Have it. Today. My excuses: It was cold and windy, the
> course was hilly, I worked late (past midnight) last night, and thanks to moving last week I've
> hardly trained in a fortnight. Even so ...
>
> The course goes up a fairly steep hill, down the other side, turns around, and then along a
> parklike boulevard and back (missing the big hill on the return). The wind was in our faces for
> the last mile or so, which was also mainly uphill (though not steep). I set out at what felt like
> 6:50 pace, but I missed the first mile marker (I think I was looking at the leaders coming back --
> three guys real close together), so I didn't know it was more like 7:15, which is actually my 10K
> pace. Drat! I figured it out at 2 miles, but even then I didn't have the horses to pick it up
> much, and I came in at 22:17, about 17 seconds slower than I ran the first half of a 10K two weeks
> ago. (A 12-year-old outkicked me at the end.) My first off-day race of the year. They happen. I
> was 20th out of 128 in my age group, 145th

> It was cool getting to see the leaders twice -- the second time two of them had pulled away from
> third place a bit but were still fighting it out themselves. At the awards ceremony they said it
> was virtually a photo finish.
>
> The trophies were pretty cool, carved-wood parrots. (The "mascot" of the race is a parrot, the
> symbol of Joe T. Garcia's, the eponymous restaurant where the race begins and ends.)Two guys in
> parrot suits were cheering the runners on, one of them from the back of the pace vehicle. There
> was also a big cat running around, the mascot of the local baseball team. Two separate water
> stations on the course. Food was bagels, mini muffins, small danishes, oranges, bananas, jalapeno
> poppers(!) and beer.
>
> Three stars. Brian Bob says check it out.

hey Brian, not a bad run at all. sure, not up to your usual times, but hey.... *I'd* take it! that's
just a few seconds slower than my fastest 5K, so THERE. good that you still enjoyed the race. sounds
like a fun time with the mascots running around hooting, and a neat assortment of booze and food.
beer is good.

good race,

Cam

>Man, that sounds like an event that was begging to be run as a fun run <G>. After all the
>distractions, that's a very nice time and placement. Of course, now that you've gotten speedy, ...
>:) The event sounds like a lot of fun (getting to see the leaders, hills, food). Nice awards.
>Susan (since I wouldn't see one) likes the wooden carved ones, too. Too bad you didn't feel better
>- it sounds like a nice celebration.

Thanks, Layne! They do have some fun events here. I thought of you when I saw the mascots; the first
word that came to mind was "foolery"! I didn't feel bad, exactly, just didn't have the speed or
whatever. I was really hurtin' later in the day, at work, trying to stay awake ... and for once I
didn't have a result to brag about. Oh well!

Next 5K is next week, Race for the Cure. This one's got a monster hill after halfway. Fun fun fun!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

>Whoo hooo! Sounds likes lots of fun. Always enjoyed your course descriptions, but this one sounded
>extra special.

Thanks, Victoria! I didn't have time to preview the course but was sort of familiar with the
neighborhood. Knew it'd be a challenge. Was fun!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

>hey Brian, not a bad run at all. sure, not up to your usual times, but hey.... *I'd* take it!
>that's just a few seconds slower than my fastest 5K, so THERE. good that you still enjoyed the
>race. sounds like a fun time with the mascots running around hooting, and a neat assortment of
>booze and food. beer is good.

Yeah, lotsa good stuff. So, I have your time to aim for, eh? <s>

Thanks, Cam!

--

<[email protected]> writes:
>year. They happen. I was 20th out of 128 in my age group, 145th

>Brian P. Baresch

Well, sorry about the race this time, Brian, but you're right... sometimes ones like this just
happen. And you *did* have some compelling excuses ;-). But you were still in the top 16% of your
age group despite all that, huh? So next time, get lots of rest, don't move anything, get your runs
in properly, and blaze it!

Teresa in AZ (I have confidence you'll do great next time)

>Well, sorry about the race this time, Brian, but you're right... sometimes ones like this just
>happen. And you *did* have some compelling excuses ;-). But you were still in the top 16% of your
>age group despite all that, huh? So next time, get lots of rest, don't move anything, get your runs
>in properly, and blaze it!
>
>Teresa in AZ (I have confidence you'll do great next time)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Teresa! I appreciate it.

BTW I don't put a lot of stock in finishing that high percentage-wise in my AG when the race is so
big and most of them are walkers. (I like seeing so many people come out, of course, for whatever
reason, but it skews where the "middle of the pack" falls.) I felt better about 3rd out of 10 in a
small race a few weeks ago. But still it's nice to get closer to the front!

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

> >hey Brian, not a bad run at all. sure, not up to your usual times, but hey.... *I'd* take it!
> >that's just a few seconds slower than my fastest 5K, so THERE. good that you still enjoyed the
> >race. sounds like a fun time with the mascots running around hooting, and a neat assortment of
> >booze and food. beer is good.
>
> Yeah, lotsa good stuff. So, I have your time to aim for, eh? <s>
>
> Thanks, Cam!

let's see now, Brian... you're time was what... 22:17? my best is 22:13, and that was a couple of
years ago. not sure if i'll get to that level again... i'll try this summer to break that PR. i'm
sure that YOU could do it!

Cam

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 03:45:44 GMT, Brian Baresch wrote:

>Thanks, Layne! They do have some fun events here. I thought of you when I saw the mascots; the
>first word that came to mind was "foolery"! I didn't feel bad, exactly, just didn't have the speed
>or whatever. I was really hurtin' later in the day, at work, trying to stay awake ... and for once
>I didn't have a result to brag about. Oh well!

:) Many people think of me when they think of "fool." I wish I had a good
argument against that trend but, sadly, I don't. Your speed will return, I've no doubt. Lessee,
braggin' topics in Texas. Hmm, well, since they don't have to match up with fact - just be difficult
to dispute, how about the fact that you had the Supreme Combo (I'm sure it's called something else
by now) at Joe T's right before the race and STILL kicked major coworker butt?

>Next 5K is next week, Race for the Cure. This one's got a monster hill after halfway. Fun fun fun!

Hmm, we're in deep doo-doo. My Saturday run is a beach 5K at 3:00 p.m. with temps forecast to be in
the mid to upper 80F range. The Aussie reports have been nice to keep the heat in mind but now we
have to run in it while they get the cooler temps.

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 03:45:44 GMT, Brian Baresch wrote:

>Thanks, Layne! They do have some fun events here. I thought of you when I saw the mascots; the
>first word that came to mind was "foolery"! I didn't feel bad, exactly, just didn't have the speed
>or whatever. I was really hurtin' later in the day, at work, trying to stay awake ... and for once
>I didn't have a result to brag about. Oh well!

:) Many people think of me when they think of "fool." I wish I had a good
argument against that trend but, sadly, I don't. Your speed will return, I've no doubt. Lessee,
braggin' topics in Texas. Hmm, well, since they don't have to match up with fact - just be difficult
to dispute, how about the fact that you had the Supreme Combo (I'm sure it's called something else
by now) at Joe T's right before the race and STILL kicked major coworker butt?

>Next 5K is next week, Race for the Cure. This one's got a monster hill after halfway. Fun fun fun!

Hmm, we're in deep doo-doo. My Saturday run is a beach 5K at 3:00 p.m. with temps forecast to be in
the mid to upper 80F range. The Aussie reports have been nice to keep the heat in mind but now we
have to run in it while they get the cooler temps.

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

> Any race that supplies the beer has got to be good!
>
> Hey good run and nice report. Thanks.

Thanks, Ed! It was fun.

Brian Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA