race report: Scotland Run 10 km

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Charlie Pendejo, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. wow, had no idea of that robust race activity over there in NJ. neat
    site but found it very odd/strange that they don't list the NJ Marathon
    at the end of this month. Very odd to omit that race of all races.
    http://www.njmarathon.org/

    on the slide show on the home page is one of your GNY teammates.

  2. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Can you swallow your ego enough to listen a coach? If he/she is
    > >worth

    > their salt
    > ----
    >
    > well uncle he's better than Glover.

    > i learned coaches and trainers are in strong demand too. you contact
    > the best ones and you can easily be placed on their waiting list.

    So if you got in does that mean he is bad and has slots open? ;) Doesn't
    say much for Glover whose book I still think has great basic knowledge.

  3. TenKBabe

    TenKBabe Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > charles asked me 3 or 4 times when i would race again, challenged me to
    > race, mocked and joked on me in racing....well he can bring his 22 BMI
    > frame against my 5 year older and 26 BMI frame and line up on sunday
    > with the very strong field that will be there.

    Why do you always bring up this BMI crap? f you're overweight, that's
    your choice. But don't wear it as a badge of honor. Your race results
    are just that *your* results. A result of your training, including your
    exessive caloric intake. A runner will have a difficult time overcoming
    a genetic flaw, but being overweight is simply a lack of willpower.
    Unless, of course, you're solid muscle. I've seen your pix, so this is
    not the case.

    tkb

  4. >Why do you always bring up this BMI crap? f you're overweight, that's
    your choice. But don't wear it as a badge of honor.

    i'll answer you. charles in this thread said he's back down to 145
    ..lb. i've met him in real life and as i recall he's about 5' 8" which
    would mean his bmi is 22. if i had a bmi of 22 i would be kicking
    donovan's ass on a regular basis despite being 11 year older than
    me...hahahahaha.

    but tkb, why do you care? can you answer that...why does it bother
    you? in this thread dan stumpus made note and in doing so highlighted
    & pointed it out as an honor that a 5'9" 220 .lb runner finished
    badwater. that's a bmi of 32.5 when obese is a bmi of 30 and above.
    dan stumpus made note of this as an achievement, or as a "badge of
    honor" for that runner.

    note you tkb did not admonish dan stumpus as you have me. why is
    that? is that he's wwwwwwwhite? i am serious. what is it in you
    tkb that takes time out to say to me what you have.....yet you don't
    say to dan stumpus who's essentially done exactly what you're
    admonishing me for? care to answer that question? i answered
    yours....can you demonstrate some consistency here? i'm not suggesting
    you're a racist, i though know you don't like it when a NEGRO rips on a
    WHITE man. LOL.

    > being overweight is simply a lack of willpower.

    this statement of yours illustrates profound ignorance. does your
    house have wheels? He's a quote from the CDC (center of disease
    control) "Science shows that genetics plays a role in obesity. Genes
    can directly cause obesity in disorders such as Bardet-Biedl syndrome
    and Prader-Willi syndrome." I could go one and further illustrate how
    profoundly wrong you are in your statement but imo it's common
    knowledge that the genetic pool is not an even playing field.

    In sum, life, genetics, & racing is not fare. What's your BMI TKB?
    size and weight? Can you answer that question? You sound like a very
    ignorant person imo that's never had a challenge and assume everyone is
    equally able. I suspect you fall within perferred parameters and not
    challenged. I know runners that have asthma and every race of any
    distance is a battle. genetics and disease create uneven playing
    fields.....we just deal with it as runners. but that does not mean we
    can't take time out to note the "scale of measure" is not just, valid,
    and fair. that's all i've done tkb, take time out to note the scale.

    you seem disturbed that i frame content into perspective.

  5. Robert

    Robert Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Why do you always bring up this BMI crap? f you're overweight, that's

    > your choice. But don't wear it as a badge of honor.
    >
    > i'll answer you. charles in this thread said he's back down to 145
    > .lb. i've met him in real life and as i recall he's about 5' 8" which
    > would mean his bmi is 22. if i had a bmi of 22 i would be kicking
    > donovan's ass on a regular basis despite being 11 year older than
    > me...hahahahaha.

    You are one of a very few that has ever in my thirteen years here ever
    brought up BMI even though many have limitations. Lose the weight and get
    your fat ass moving.

  6. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > but tkb, why do you care? can you answer that...why does it bother
    > you? in this thread dan stumpus made note and in doing so highlighted
    > & pointed it out as an honor that a 5'9" 220 .lb runner finished
    > badwater. that's a bmi of 32.5 when obese is a bmi of 30 and above.
    > dan stumpus made note of this as an achievement, or as a "badge of
    > honor" for that runner.

    > note you tkb did not admonish dan stumpus as you have me.

    My point was that running doesn't cause weight loss -- no matter how much
    you run, if you eat more calories than you need, you'll gain weight, and
    vice versa...

    Although, for the record, I do respect that heavier runners are doing it the
    hard way -- like my talented friend who wears a 30 lb weight vest when he
    hikes the 10,000' peaks with his less fit daughters.

    If you want a data point from a guy who knows how to run, I ran with an
    acquaintance the other day who could run 2:18 and 29:11 when he weighed 115
    (he's about 5'3"), and now at 140# his best is "only" 2:32 and 32:xx. It
    does make a difference. (I could stay with his easy pace on flats & downs,
    but no way on the climbs -- he was kind enough to slow down).

    -- Dan

  7. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > but tkb, why do you care? can you answer that...why does it bother
    > you? in this thread dan stumpus made note and in doing so highlighted
    > & pointed it out as an honor that a 5'9" 220 .lb runner finished
    > badwater. that's a bmi of 32.5 when obese is a bmi of 30 and above.
    > dan stumpus made note of this as an achievement, or as a "badge of
    > honor" for that runner.

    Yawn. Anyone that finishes Badwater regardless of their weight deserves
    a badge of honor. That's one MF of a feat. Maybe, just maybe, one day
    your over-simplified ego will consider BMI like shoe size or color of
    your hair. You're always trying attempting to justify why you under
    achieve with WAVA or BMI or some other superficial parameter. Isn't it
    time you strop beating this dead horse.

    > i'm not suggesting
    > you're a racist, i though know you don't like it when a NEGRO rips on
    > WHITE man. LOL.

    There is nothing more undignified than a person of color always playing
    the color card be it real or jest. It makes you look racist and very
    short on self esteem. Feel the need to prove yourself at every bend in
    the road.

    >> being overweight is simply a lack of willpower.

    > this statement of yours illustrates profound ignorance. does your
    > house have wheels? He's a quote from the CDC (center of disease
    > control) "Science shows that genetics plays a role in obesity. Genes
    > can directly cause obesity in disorders such as Bardet-Biedl syndrome
    > and Prader-Willi syndrome." I could go one and further illustrate
    > how
    > profoundly wrong you are in your statement but imo it's common
    > knowledge that the genetic pool is not an even playing field.

    And we could on to show that your cherry picked rare syndromes do exist
    but the VAST majority of the world eats more calories then the expend.
    So how many fat people were there in the German prison camps? I think
    it's safe to say that everyone was rather thin. While this is an example
    in the extreme, it does show that limiting calories will make you
    thinner genetics be damed. Maybe you need to visit a fat farm where they
    control your eating and at least remove the adipose. If you still lack
    self control you have your stomach stapled.

    I'll be gone for two weeks so I probably won't be able to continue
    discussing your chubbiness. I have a feat to perform on Saturday and
    then to bask on the beach so we at least look like brothers when I
    retrurn. Here I am trying to get darker and you call me a racist. :)

    -DougF

  8. not the point doug. TKB is 100% wrong when she says people either
    choose to be overweight or don't have will power. can you speak to
    that doug ? or will doing so support my characterization of TKB being
    very ignorant? oh yes, white privilege.. support the white person
    whether they are right or wroing.

    there is a myriad of well documented evidence out their illustrating
    TKB is 100% wrong, so much so it's silly to suggest otherwise....and
    you know that doug. but you can't tell TKB her statement is
    appreciably off base...can you? why?

    According to TKB, Dan Stumpus' friend with a BMI of 32.5 either is
    choosing to be well into the obese scale or does not have enough will
    power to lose weight. okay, he finished badwater so we know "will
    power" is not the issue. so according to TKB mentaility, he's
    choosiing to be Obese (and in the process risk all the issues that come
    with that). I highly doubt that's the case. There is a myriad of
    factors that give rise to people being overweight, TKB is simply,
    profoundly uninformed.

    Kind of reminds me of James Frey, author of "A Million Little Pieces".
    In his book he said recovery was simply a matter of "will power".
    Of course professionals in the field disputed this from day one....and
    in time the public learned he was a crock of shit. Perhaps TKB, in
    time, will learn she too is wrong.

  9. On 2006-04-06, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Why do you always bring up this BMI crap? f you're overweight, that's

    > your choice. But don't wear it as a badge of honor.
    >
    > i'll answer you. charles in this thread said he's back down to 145
    > .lb. i've met him in real life and as i recall he's about 5' 8" which
    > would mean his bmi is 22. if i had a bmi of 22 i would be kicking
    > donovan's ass on a regular basis despite being 11 year older than
    > me...hahahahaha.

    Right now, I can't say I'm too worried (about you losing the weight or beating me)

    > but tkb, why do you care? can you answer that...why does it bother
    > you? in this thread dan stumpus made note and in doing so highlighted
    > & pointed it out as an honor that a 5'9" 220 .lb runner finished
    > badwater. that's a bmi of 32.5 when obese is a bmi of 30 and above.
    > dan stumpus made note of this as an achievement, or as a "badge of
    > honor" for that runner.

    So what ? Finishing badwater is an achievement in itself *regardless* of weight.

    Anyway, you sound like a crybaby when you keep bringing up BMI. Lose it and get
    faster, or keep it and run slowly. But either way, it's your choice, so stop whining
    about it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  10. On 2006-04-07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > not the point doug. TKB is 100% wrong when she says people either
    > choose to be overweight or don't have will power. can you speak to
    > that doug ? or will doing so support my characterization of TKB being
    > very ignorant? oh yes, white privilege.. support the white person
    > whether they are right or wroing.

    Wah wah wah. First it's BMI, and now we're opressing you. Cry me a river, you
    big pussy.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  11. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Doug Freese wrote:

    > I'll be gone for two weeks so I probably won't be able to continue
    > discussing your chubbiness. I have a feat to perform on Saturday

    Doug, good luck at Bull Run! I assume you're in max taper mode right
    now? I'm a week behind you. Doing a 50-miler on the 15th. ;-)

    --
    Phil M.

  12. Tony S.

    Tony S. Guest

    "Dan Stumpus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Although, for the record, I do respect that heavier runners are doing it

    the
    > hard way -- like my talented friend who wears a 30 lb weight vest when he
    > hikes the 10,000' peaks with his less fit daughters.

    Though it's coming off slowly, I've still got a 15+ pound natural weight
    belt ;) Good for training purposes I figure -- if I get it off in time for
    my target race. If my body doesn't break down from the extra weight, it
    will make my legs support muscles/tendons/ligaments stronger.

    -Tony

  13. >Right now, I can't say I'm too worried (about you losing the weight or beating me)
    _

    well i am 11 yrs older than you so no, i don't expect i will be beating
    you on time. WAVA tables? Yes, that will happen again as it did last
    year when i was 42. hahahahahahaha. haven't raced in 6 months, got
    plenty of rust to shed and need to get back in shape. give me to
    June...and if i join Westchester, oh shit, the rich get richer
    hahahahaha.

  14. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    "Tony S." <[email protected]> wrote

    > Though it's coming off slowly, I've still got a 15+ pound natural weight
    > belt ;) Good for training purposes I figure -- if I get it off in time for
    > my target race. If my body doesn't break down from the extra weight, it
    > will make my legs support muscles/tendons/ligaments stronger.

    Well, that's looking on the bright side, isn't it? :)

    Hang tough. Maybe you'll be flying over those trails yet!

  15. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote

    >> I'll be gone for two weeks so I probably won't be able to continue
    >> discussing your chubbiness. I have a feat to perform on Saturday

    > Doug, good luck at Bull Run! I assume you're in max taper mode right
    > now? I'm a week behind you. Doing a 50-miler on the 15th. ;-)

    Good luck to you both. We expect full reports.

  16. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Dan Stumpus wrote:

    > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>> I'll be gone for two weeks so I probably won't be able to continue
    >>> discussing your chubbiness. I have a feat to perform on Saturday

    >> Doug, good luck at Bull Run! I assume you're in max taper mode right
    >> now? I'm a week behind you. Doing a 50-miler on the 15th. ;-)

    > Good luck to you both. We expect full reports.

    You can count on it from me. Doug, on the other hand, may require coaxing.
    ;-)

    --
    Phil M.

  17. Kaz Kylheku

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    Dan Stumpus wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > but tkb, why do you care? can you answer that...why does it bother
    > > you? in this thread dan stumpus made note and in doing so highlighted
    > > & pointed it out as an honor that a 5'9" 220 .lb runner finished
    > > badwater. that's a bmi of 32.5 when obese is a bmi of 30 and above.
    > > dan stumpus made note of this as an achievement, or as a "badge of
    > > honor" for that runner.

    > > note you tkb did not admonish dan stumpus as you have me.

    > My point was that running doesn't cause weight loss -- no matter how much
    > you run, if you eat more calories than you need, you'll gain weight, and
    > vice versa...

    Running, in particular serious training, can hinder weight loss,
    because it encourages the individual to take in carbohydrate calories.
    It's easy to err on the side of excess, because when you don't take in
    enough, it detrimentally affects your training. The extra carbohydrates
    you take in can keep your fat level high enough so that you are not
    able to get properly shredded.

    That's what I struggle with: going from great definition to that
    razor-sharp rip. I've never been able to get down to less than 7 mm of
    skinfold in the central abdomen. When I did that, my running suffered.

    What you can do is cycle the carb intake so you have it available for
    the key workouts of the week. For me, that would be the 20 miler, and
    the track workout. If the running is going to suck from dieting, let it
    be the base miles.

  18. On 2006-04-10, Kaz Kylheku <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Running, in particular serious training, can hinder weight loss,
    > because it encourages the individual to take in carbohydrate calories.

    How so ?

    > It's easy to err on the side of excess, because when you don't take in
    > enough, it detrimentally affects your training.

    But it's easy to err on the side of excess anyway.

    > The extra carbohydrates
    > you take in can keep your fat level high enough so that you are not
    > able to get properly shredded.
    >
    > That's what I struggle with: going from great definition to that
    > razor-sharp rip. I've never been able to get down to less than 7 mm of
    > skinfold in the central abdomen. When I did that, my running suffered.

    Hasn't been a problem for me.
    http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/weights/abs.jpg

    But seriously, 7mm isn't exactly bad anyway. Unless you're entering a
    bodybuilding contest, why would you need it lower than that ?

    > What you can do is cycle the carb intake so you have it available for
    > the key workouts of the week.

    Well OK, but if you're running substantial mileage, say 50 or more, you
    really do need quite a lot of calories anyway, and you probably don't
    need the Atkins diet or similar.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  19. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 2006-04-10, Kaz Kylheku <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Running, in particular serious training, can hinder weight loss,
    >> because it encourages the individual to take in carbohydrate calories.

    > How so ?

    I find that if I run more (at easy pace) and pig out, I can *gain* weight.

    On the other hand, if I train hard (3 hard days/week, for instance), that
    seems to suppress my appetite on the hard days, and can lose weight fairly
    easily. I usually try to eat more the day before my next hard day.

    >> That's what I struggle with: going from great definition to that
    >> razor-sharp rip. I've never been able to get down to less than 7 mm of
    >> skinfold in the central abdomen. When I did that, my running suffered.

    I'm about 5.6% body fat according to some on-line calculator, with about
    12mm skinfold there (28.5 waist), and no washboard abs, just a hint if the
    light is right and I cough. I've never felt that my non-washboard abs
    hindered my running...when I was younger and 12 lbs lighter, I didn't have
    them either.

    -- Dan