Race Report: South Shore 1/2 Marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe Braun, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Joe Braun

    Joe Braun Guest

    Where: Milwaukee WI When: Sat. April 5th; 8:30am

    Conditions: 20mph wind out of the north, 25 degree F, and icy. Course: Out and back (headwind on the
    way back) on park pathway. Windy paths, icy in spots, lots of short rolling hills.

    I wanted to go faster today, but given the conditions I am quite pleased with my performance. I felt
    very good the first three miles, clipping at
    6:30 pace. I continued this pace with a tailwind to the turnaround wondering if I was going too
    hard. I was thinking that I was going to run out of gas. For the next three miles I ran scared but
    finally started having fun once I realized I was doing the best I could. I ran in a pack of three
    other men and one woman for the last three miles. We worked together to cut through the wind. I
    played it smart and sat on everyone's tail until the last quarter mile. I finished in 1:27.30. I
    did the out portion in
    6:1. The wind was a killer on the way back. I was 30th out of ~400 and 6th in my age group.

    My wife also did the 1/2 marathon and had an excellent race considering she ran solo for the last
    half into the headwind. She managed a 1:31.29, 4th among women, and 1st in her age group.

    Tags:

  2. Victoria

    Victoria Guest

    Congratulations Joe! I don't think I'd want to run a half in that sort of weather. Good on you for
    sticking it out against the cold and the chill. :)

    Victoria

    news:[email protected]...