Race Report: Sunny Coast Tour

Tamyka Bell

Guest
Sorry, I'm not providing one... just wondering if anyone did it?

Tam

Didn'ty adam85 say he was doing that???

*looks meaningfully at adam85*

Abby (de-furred again)

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Didn'ty adam85 say he was doing that???
>
> *looks meaningfully at adam85*
>
> Abby (de-furred again)

I told monsterman no race reports unless I win! :) But okay....

It was tops! Run by Sunshine Coast CC there were 4 stages over 3 days-
Road race saturday at Timbeerwah
8km mass start hill climb from Palmwoods up to Montville Sunday morning
10km individual time trial at Yandina Sunday afternoon
Road race monday morning at Eumundi

There were 15,10 and 5 second time bonuses for the first 3 places in the
road races.

There were about 260 riders included a pretty high quality field of elite
riders. Stage racing is pretty cool - everyone dreams of being in the Tour
de France and chasing the yellow jersey. You do get to see rider's different
strengths, sprinters vs TTers vs climbers and then tactics play a big part
at the end. Also it's a great social event and you get to catch up with old
mates and meet heaps of riders.

The courses were all excellent, saturdays road race was tough with plenty of
hills, the hill climb from Palmwoods to Montville was excellent with plenty
of spectators lining the course. Some of the elite guys powered up here at
an average of nearly 30kph! Green lush rolling hills and hairpin turns
winding up a mountain - it's a top area for riding. The ITT although very
short at 10km was very tough, no real flat sections, one big hill and strong
winds. It's one lap of the RR course they had at the nationals last year.
The final road race at Eumundi was a cracker of a course, with several steep
short climbs where attacks could be made and an uphill sprint finish.

In Mens Elite David Betts who is in sensational form at the moment won the
first and second stages, 2nd in the ITT to Peter Herzig and 2nd in last race
to Brad Nightingale. Peter Herzig ended up 2nd overall and Brad Nightingale
3rd. Plenty of other really impressive rides in the other grades as well.

I was racing Masters B grade. In the first 50km road race I found myself off
the front by accident up one of the climbs so I rode like an idiot trying a
long solo breakaway for 15km. Then I attacked again with about 10 km to go
hitting my max HR up one of the hills but didn't get away this time either.
All I did was wreck myself for the sprint and for the hillclimb and ITT the
next day which is where the real time gaps were to be made. It ended in a
bunch finish but I didn't have any power left for the sprint and got 12th,
so same time as everyone else. Oh well... I think I have ADD - I get bored
just sitting in going slow up hills.

Anyway that really wrecked my legs for the next day and my hill climb time
which was my best chance was very disappointing (or maybe it was all the
chocolate I ate). I had legs of lead and just sat on my threshold HR and let
6 guys get away finishing 6th and losing 50 seconds to the GC leader.

The ITT was tough, hilly and windy. I had a good warmup but right from the
start I couldn't get going, couldn't seem to get the right gear, going on
and off the bars constantly. There was one big hill and when I got out of
the saddle I just flopped straight back down. Luckily everyone else must
have been shagged as well so I moved up one place to 6th going into the
final race. 2 seconds behind 5th and 10sec behind 4th, but about 1m20s
behind 1st place.

In the final race the first lap was fairly sedate but on the second of the 3
20km laps, a bunch of 5 stronger riders made a jump just before the hills,
and I thought this was going to be move of the day, so I took a big turn at
the front, round a tight corner caught the lead car who was snoozing, down
the hill and hammered it on the first climb. Unfortunately noone came with
me so I dropped back to the bunch. At some time during the race, the GC
leader had a mechanical and had to pull out poor bloke. Last lap everything
was being covered. Two guys not up on GC got away in the hills and noone
wanted to chase hard. I waited until about 5km to go and tried to bridge
across or at least get a gap on the bunch but I needed 30 seconds and the
race win to win overall. Didn't happen I got caught about 1km from the line.
The 2 guys in front stayed away and won by about 50m and I got 7th in the
sprint so held onto 5th place GC.

An excellent weekend, I'll definitely be there next year!

Results at www.sunshinecoastcycling.com.au photos at www.stand2surf.net

Adam

adam85 wrote:
<snip rr>

Awesome report, dude. Steven was very disappointed to have missed it,
once he found out more about the events. He has your hill problem -
boredom on the slow bits! Sit in! Save it for the last hill!

Tam