Race report: Twin Cities Marathon 10-3-04

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Brian Jones, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    All week the weather forecast for Sunday was deteriorating to the
    point where, on Saturday, they were calling for 24 mph wind, overcast
    and showers. To top it off, when I got to town (7 hours from my home)
    I discovered the hotel tv system was Lodgenet. The satellite system
    did not have a local weather channel (I know, I know, local weather on
    the 8's, but not at the Days Inn in Roseville). This being my second
    marathon, my anxiety level was rising.

    But the day dawned clear and cool (low 40's) with just light breezes.
    The field size was said to be 10,000, but I am suspicious that may be
    a bit on the heavy side. But this race is organized. Everything is
    perfect. I have no other marathons to compare it to, since I have run
    this one both times, but everything was great, and it seems like a
    real logistical feat.

    My brother and I had trained for this day, he in Washington, DC and I
    in South Dakota. We actually only ran together once or twice, but
    conversed as much as 3 or 4 times a week, comparing milage and
    injuries. I knew he had put in more miles and had done them in way
    more heat and humidity than I, so I had a pretty good idea that he
    would really fly in the cool dry of a Minneapolis October morning.

    I noticed early on (mile 6-8) that my lower legs felt tired. I have
    never experienced this before. Also my shoulders were tightening up,
    which was new to me as well.

    At the half we were at 1:54 and change, but the fatigue factor was
    getting to the point where it was had to igore (or even fake it).

    At mile 18 we were still 3 minutes ahead of the 4 hour pace we sought,
    but I knew I was in trouble. I convinced the bro to go ahead--that I
    would be along. He flew to the end, doing 7:40 miles to the finish.
    I did not. The second half of this race is a little hilly, and there
    is a point where for 2 miles it is all up hill. None of the hills is
    particularly steep if you are, for example, in a car. But after 20
    miles, every hill seems steep to me. I train on some of the flatest
    land you will ever see, so this part was going to be hard even if I
    felt good.

    My goal was 4 hours, and I missed that by 7:40 or so. It was about 6
    minutes faster than last year, but still not what I was after.

    All in all, it was an outstanding day (the last few miles of the race
    and then the 7 hour drive home being the exceptions to that). I
    really would like to be able to break 4 hours, but I am now 42, so
    shortening up my time that much might be more than I can hope for.

    My wife (our crew) is talking about trying a marathon next year.
    Probably this one. She says she will only run if we have no time goal
    (I might be able to convince her that 5 hours is good). So maybe it
    will be 2 years before I attempt 4 hours again. Or maybe I never
    will. Or maybe. . . Is Chicago full next Sunday?

    Thanks for reading.

    Brian Jones

    Tags:

  2. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "Brian Jones" wrote
    > All week the weather forecast for Sunday was deteriorating to the
    > point where, on Saturday, they were calling for 24 mph wind, overcast
    > and showers.
    >
    > Brian Jones

    Well done! Thanks for the report.
    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX

  3. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    "Brian Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > All week the weather forecast for Sunday was deteriorating to the
    > point where, on Saturday, they were calling for 24 mph wind, overcast
    > and showers. To top it off, when I got to town (7 hours from my home)
    > I discovered the hotel tv system was Lodgenet. The satellite system
    > did not have a local weather channel (I know, I know, local weather on
    > the 8's, but not at the Days Inn in Roseville). This being my second
    > marathon, my anxiety level was rising.

    <snip>

    Nice race Brian... better luck next time on the time goal. My
    own upcoming marathon has the last two solid miles on one
    of those uphills you don't notice in a car, but truly do after a
    couple hours of running! I know what you mean. ;-)

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton ON)
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com

  4. Hi Brian,

    Nice report.
    Read below.

    Brian Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    > To top it off, when I got to town (7 hours from my home)
    > I discovered the hotel tv system was Lodgenet. The satellite system
    > did not have a local weather channel (I know, I know, local weather on
    > the 8's, but not at the Days Inn in Roseville). This being my second
    > marathon, my anxiety level was rising.

    Couldn't you just get a newspaper?

    > The field size was said to be 10,000, but I am suspicious that may be
    > a bit on the heavy side. But this race is organized. Everything is
    > perfect. I have no other marathons to compare it to, since I have run
    > this one both times, but everything was great, and it seems like a
    > real logistical feat.

    Sounds like a good one.

    > I noticed early on (mile 6-8) that my lower legs felt tired. I have
    > never experienced this before. Also my shoulders were tightening up,
    > which was new to me as well.

    Were you able to figure out why?
    Was it just the anxiety?

    > At mile 18 we were still 3 minutes ahead of the 4 hour pace we sought,
    > but I knew I was in trouble. I convinced the bro to go ahead--that I
    > would be along. He flew to the end, doing 7:40 miles to the finish.

    What did he finish in?

    > My goal was 4 hours, and I missed that by 7:40 or so. It was about 6
    > minutes faster than last year, but still not what I was after.

    So, there was good and there was bad.
    Did you achilles tendonitis act up at all?

    > I really would like to be able to break 4 hours, but I am now 42, so
    > shortening up my time that much might be more than I can hope for.

    You could still do it.

    > Or maybe I never
    > will. Or maybe. . . Is Chicago full next Sunday?

    Cool :)

    > Thanks for reading.

    Thanks for writing and enjoy your recovery.

    Regards,
    jobs

  5. Forgot to mention, regarding Morning Wood:

    The Dakoda.
    Now what's that darn novel, cannot seem to find it here, about time travel,
    NYC, ca. 1870s or so?
    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  6. << Couldn't you just get a newspaper? >

    Well, you know, everytime I try and read the NYTs, I get dizzy. Seems like
    they are writing in a different tense, hard to explain. Finally, like all that
    spam I get, with really wierd stuff, I stopped reading the NYTs as much. Now it
    scares me to read it, as I feel as though something happened in the world and
    no one told me, like I was forgotten. You know, that novel, "Any Where But
    Here," the poot grrrl is left alond on the side of the road.

    Hm, odd. Mare told me that happened to her recently. Odd? And these odd
    things just seem to materialize from nothing these daze. Am I missing some
    important news story here?

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  7. Jack Finney, "Time and Again."

    "Hail muse,
    Etcetera."
    --Lord Byron

    Found in my friend Nancy Hathaway's book.

    ~waves~

    [Hey!]
    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  8. Stanky

    Stanky Guest

    [email protected]entary (Brilliant One) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Found in my friend Nancy Hathaway's book.

    Any relation to Jane Hathaway? Mr Drysdales secretary? I always had
    the hotts for her...

  9. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    [email protected] wrote

    > Couldn't you just get a newspaper?

    Yes, but the paper was talking about rain and wind, and I didn't want
    to hear about that. It must have been some strange weather
    phenomenon, that all the forecasts were way off, right up until
    Saturday night. At about 6:00 pm on Saturday, the radio was still
    talking about a good chance for rain. Come Sunday, there wasn't a
    cloud in the sky. Rally.

    > > I noticed early on (mile 6-8) that my lower legs felt tired. I have
    > > never experienced this before. Also my shoulders were tightening up,
    > > which was new to me as well.

    > Were you able to figure out why?
    > Was it just the anxiety?

    I can't think of anything else, but it was sure a surprise. I tried
    shaking out my upper body and to concentrate on relaxing, but I must
    have been only marginally successful because my shoulders joined in
    with the quads and calfs for the pain party on Monday and Tuesday.

    > > At mile 18 we were still 3 minutes ahead of the 4 hour pace we sought,
    > > but I knew I was in trouble. I convinced the bro to go ahead--that I
    > > would be along. He flew to the end, doing 7:40 miles to the finish.

    > What did he finish in?

    3:45

    > > My goal was 4 hours, and I missed that by 7:40 or so. It was about 6
    > > minutes faster than last year, but still not what I was after.

    > So, there was good and there was bad.
    > Did you achilles tendonitis act up at all?

    Not badly. Not enough that I could blame 7 minutes on it. I was just
    aware of it. Really, the greatest effect that the injury had was that
    it kept my speed training to a minimum and took me out of running
    altogether for 4 weeks in May-June, and another week in August.

    > > I really would like to be able to break 4 hours, but I am now 42, so
    > > shortening up my time that much might be more than I can hope for.

    > You could still do it.

    Thanks, Jobs.

    > > Or maybe I never
    > > will. Or maybe. . . Is Chicago full next Sunday?

    > Cool :)
    >
    > > Thanks for reading.

    > Thanks for writing and enjoy your recovery.
    >
    > Regards,
    > jobs

  10. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    First, good race.

    It sounds like you have 4:00 in you, but haven't quite gotten all the
    elements (training, weather, no injury, race execution) together at
    the same time yet.

    >At the half we were at 1:54 and change, but the fatigue factor was
    >getting to the point where it was had to igore (or even fake it).

    If your goal pace was 4:00, and you were only capable of doing that,
    then 6 minutes ahead of pace is too fast. You should have been no
    faster than 1:58 or so.

    I know it doesn't sound like much, but it does catch up with you at
    the end.

    Notice that you were 6 minutes up at the half and ended up 7 minutes
    down. That's about right for the cumulative effect of going out too
    fast. A rule of thumb I've heard is that you'll give up two minutes
    at the end for every minute faster than the pace you're capable of at
    the beginning.

    The hills at the end didn't help, of course.

    <snip>

    >I really would like to be able to break 4 hours, but I am now 42, so
    >shortening up my time that much might be more than I can hope for.

    I don't know. Like I said, it sounds like you just haven't gotten all
    the elements together at the same time.

    >My wife (our crew) is talking about trying a marathon next year.
    >Probably this one. She says she will only run if we have no time goal
    >(I might be able to convince her that 5 hours is good).

    I'd suggest doing it with her at her pace as a training run for a 4
    hour attempt at a later race. Lots of husband points for that one,
    dude. <g>

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  11. Brian: Good race. Nice report. Thanks for posting.

    One note:

    >really would like to be able to break 4 hours, but I am now 42, so
    >shortening up my time that much might be more than I can hope for.

    I had three over-4 marathons in my 30s, on what I now know was
    insufficient mileage. Shortly before turning 41 I ran a 3:14 after
    training 50 miles a week for two months. I'd say if you can run a 4:07
    this week, even with probably going out too fast (per Mike Tennent),
    then increasing your miles, doing a bit of speedwork, and controlling
    your pace on race day should get you well under 4 hours.

    The real limiting factor here is the hours in your week -- whether you
    have the time to invest in a 50mpw program. If you can find the time,
    you should smash 4 hours to bits by this time next year.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  12. << Brian P. Baresch
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill >>

    other side safe.
    who you?

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  13. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote

    > I'd suggest doing it with her at her pace as a training run for a 4
    > hour attempt at a later race. Lots of husband points for that one,
    > dude. <g>

    Oh, yeah. Can you imagine what that might be worth? Anyway, I think
    you are right that I went out a bit hot for me. Who knows what I
    might have done had I been more disciplined at the start. Thanks for
    the advice.