Race w/HRM?

F

Frank

Do people find it an advantage to wear their Heart Rate Monitor when they race (Olympic distance) to
help them stay below their threshhold?

On 5/21/03 11:56 PM, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Do people find it an advantage to wear their Heart Rate Monitor when they race (Olympic distance)
> to help them stay below their threshhold?

As a person who has been doing tris for only two years, I do wear mine and have found it useful in
keeping within my "zone". On the other hand, as I get more and more races under my belt and get a
better feel for my level of effort I find myself looking at it less and less.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with - it's your race. If you wear it, you certainly won't be
the only one.

John

Yes but...

On race day, it's not about staying below. All the lower zone stuff is in preperation for race day.
When questioned about this directly, Mark Allen told me to target 15 beats above my aerobic level as
an average for race day. I think once you have experience and depending on how the day is going, you
could increase this.

I find it most useful during the bike to make sure I am pushing but not blowing out my energy to
soon. Once I hit the run, I reference it afer the first couple of miles just to see where I've
settled in but after that it is all about feel, and how much I can push to the line.

BW

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<FTXya.3340$%[email protected]>...
> Do people find it an advantage to wear their Heart Rate Monitor when they race (Olympic distance)

Does that include during the swim? or do you only wear it after the swim? I've been training with a
HRM for about 4 months now, and am doing my first tri (just a sprint) in a couple of weeks and am
trying to decide if it will be helpful or not. Thanks.

Brandon

John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAF227F8.F12%[email protected]>...
> On 5/21/03 11:56 PM, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Do people find it an advantage to wear their Heart Rate Monitor when they race (Olympic
> > distance) to help them stay below their threshhold?
>
>
> As a person who has been doing tris for only two years, I do wear mine and have found it useful in
> keeping within my "zone". On the other hand, as I get more and more races under my belt and get a
> better feel for my level of effort I find myself looking at it less and less.
>
> Do whatever you feel comfortable with - it's your race. If you wear it, you certainly won't be the
> only one.
>
> John

On 5/22/03 3:47 PM, in article, "Brandon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does that include during the swim? or do you only wear it after the swim? I've been training with
> a HRM for about 4 months now, and am doing my first tri (just a sprint) in a couple of weeks and
> am trying to decide if it will be helpful or not. Thanks.
>
> Brandon

If I'm wearing a wetsuit, I'll put the chest strap on under my wetsuit and wear it for the whole
race (this is the quicker option).

If I'm not using a wetsuit my chest strap tends to slide down my torso while swimming. This is
REALLY annoying, so I'll drape the chest strap over the top tube of my bike and clip it on quickly
before unracking my bike in T1.

You can't look at the thing while swimming anyway, so the above options are really more of a
transition / comfort issue than anything. In either case, the watch part is always on.

John

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<FTXya.3340$%[email protected]>...

Yes, sometime your percieved effort is not your actual effort... The HRM helps quantify your
true effort.

Joe M

If you wear a tri suit during the whole event then using an HRM for the whole event is possible, I
do this all the time and find it useful for maintain my effort throughout

Tom

"Brandon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does that include during the swim? or do you only wear it after the swim? I've been training with
> a HRM for about 4 months now, and am doing my first tri (just a sprint) in a couple of weeks and
> am trying to decide if it will be helpful or not. Thanks.
>
> Brandon
>
> John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BAF227F8.F12%[email protected]>...
> > On 5/21/03 11:56 PM, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Do people find it an advantage to wear their Heart Rate Monitor when
they
> > > race (Olympic distance) to help them stay below their threshhold?
> >
> >
> > As a person who has been doing tris for only two years, I do wear mine
and
> > have found it useful in keeping within my "zone". On the other hand, as
I
> > get more and more races under my belt and get a better feel for my level
of
> > effort I find myself looking at it less and less.
> >
> > Do whatever you feel comfortable with - it's your race. If you wear it,
you
> > certainly won't be the only one.
> >
> > John