Raceline Bikes

Paul J

Guest
Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie owned
and frames are made in Taiwan. They're not US or Italian bred but just
about anything within a reasonable price range these days is made in
Taiwan. They seem to be quite well equiped for their price and the
frames are triple butted aluminium and the welds look pretty clean and
tidy. Any thoughts?

"Ben Elliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul J <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie
> > owned and frames are made in Taiwan.

> They are actually Apollo, right?

Yes, I sure they are not Australian but a sub-company
or side-company or something of Apollo.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-25712.html

Raceline seem pretty nice for their price, I'll give 'em that.
I've not ridden one though so couldn't tell you how they
compare with anything.

hth
hippy

I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.

I have heard that Apollo aren't going to be making Raceline anymore,
but it shouldn't be an issue (parts wise) as most of your components
are Shimano.

Very smooth and fast ride. Highly recommended.

And damn... I haven't seen many around.

aeon16 wrote:
> I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.
> >I have heard that Apollo aren't going to be making Raceline anymore,
> >but it >shouldn't be an issue (parts wise) as most of your components
> >are >Shimano.
> >Very smooth and fast ride. Highly recommended.
> >And damn... I haven't seen many around.

Just spoke to a guy riding one this morning. He hasn't had it long but
he's very impressed. I just don't think I'm never going to own something
hand built in Italy and if I'm going to be needing to retire an
aluminium frame every 5 years or so then I think value for money is the
biggest factor to consider. Plus I won't be afraid to thrash it a bit if
it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

"Paul J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.

> Just spoke to a guy riding one this morning. He hasn't had it long but
> he's very impressed. I just don't think I'm never going to own something
> hand built in Italy and if I'm going to be needing to retire an
> aluminium frame every 5 years or so then I think value for money is the
> biggest factor to consider. Plus I won't be afraid to thrash it a bit if
> it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This opinion may well be totally wrong and might upset a few people,
but here goes:

The only people I have seen with $5k+ (usually more) Italian beauties
have them leaning against the cafe where they have been sitting for the
last hour! :p

I have seen a couple of Colnago's being raced but their numbers are
dwarfed by people riding mass-produced aluminium frames (Giant,
Avanti, Specialized, probably my Peugeot, etc).

Buy a mass-prod bike and thrash away.. leave the 10 grand
beauties to enjoy their cafe lattes :)

hippy

> This opinion may well be totally wrong and might upset a few people,
> but here goes:
>
> The only people I have seen with $5k+ (usually more) Italian beauties
> have them leaning against the cafe where they have been sitting for the
> last hour! :p
>
> I have seen a couple of Colnago's being raced but their numbers are
> dwarfed by people riding mass-produced aluminium frames (Giant,
> Avanti, Specialized, probably my Peugeot, etc).

You shoulda been at Heffron Park this afternoon. There were about eight
well worn Colnagos there, three of which (including my own) sporting Mapei
paint jobs, no less.

Maybe I don't hang around as many cafes as you, but I see plenty of Colnagos
at racing. My own does about 250km per week, and has been crashed twice so
far in the three years I've owned it. It's an aluminium one, and besides
the paint looking well used and pretty badly scuffed, still has a good many
years of life left.

There are probably more Giants than any other make of bike at racing,
followed perhaps by Treks, but the Colnagos are quite popular.

I have no qualms about riding around on a bike that cost six or seven grand.
Plenty of people own cars that cost more than that, and my bike _is_ my car.

Regards,

Suzy (whos Colnago carried her to 2nd place in this afternoons D grade crit)

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You shoulda been at Heffron Park this afternoon. There were about eight
> well worn Colnagos there, three of which (including my own) sporting Mapei
> paint jobs, no less.

Okay, it didn't take long.. I knew I was gonna get rolled with this :)
How many other bikes were there racing?

> Maybe I don't hang around as many cafes as you, but I see plenty of

Colnagos

I pass quite a lot doing a 100k loop that includes Beach Rd. and bits of St.
Kilda.
I don't frequent them if I can help it though.

> I have no qualms about riding around on a bike that cost six or seven

grand.
> Plenty of people own cars that cost more than that, and my bike _is_ my

car.

I'm a scrooge.. paying that much for a bike that will be ridden into the
ground
would be crazy for me. Obviously other people don't share that opinion.
I get what you are saying comparing bike with car, but my bike is already
worth more than my car! Come to think of it, I have three bikes that are
worth as much as my car!
I really need to sell my car.. but it's those couple of trips a month that
make
owning it really handy. But all that garage space... Doh!

> Regards,
> Suzy (whos Colnago carried her to 2nd place in this afternoons D grade

crit)

Nice work! Treat that Colnago to a cafe latte ;-)

hippy

Don't go to masters races then. Full Campy Record Moser, Fondriest,
Colnago and Pinerello bikes abound. One joker even rides the B grade on
his $22,000 Look..

GK (whose bike is worth nothing like the above)

[email protected] (Gary K) wrote in message news:<1g0w202.38ucgo1vkej8N%[email protected]>...
> Don't go to masters races then. Full Campy Record Moser, Fondriest,
> Colnago and Pinerello bikes abound. One joker even rides the B grade on
> his $22,000 Look..
>
> GK (whose bike is worth nothing like the above)

Masters = expendable income !!

IMO, nothing worse than a bike that outstrips the riders ability. If
I see someone bashing around in C grade on a C40 with Record, the
Rudys etc, the shop kit, I'm thinking, too much bike, not enough
training.....

And with the crit season in Melbourne about to start it's time for
these guys, who mostly have skipped the road season, to leave the
safety of Beach Road.

"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> IMO, nothing worse than a bike that outstrips the riders ability. If
> I see someone bashing around in C grade on a C40 with Record, the
> Rudys etc, the shop kit, I'm thinking, too much bike, not enough
> training.....

The more expensive the bike.. the nicer it is to beat them :)

> And with the crit season in Melbourne about to start it's time for
> these guys, who mostly have skipped the road season, to leave the
> safety of Beach Road.

What do you mean about to start? Blackburn CC has been running
crits at METEC since August at least.

hippy