Raceline Bikes

Paul J

New Member
Apr 10, 2003
Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie owned and frames are made in Taiwan. They're not US or Italian bred but just about anything within a reasonable price range these days is made in Taiwan.
They seem to be quite well equiped for their price and the frames are triple butted aluminium and the welds look pretty clean and tidy.
Any thoughts?

Paul J <[email protected]> writes:

> Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie owned and frames are made
> in Taiwan.

They are actually Apollo, right?

--
A: Replying like this.
B: What makes email hard to read?

"Ben Elliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Paul J <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie owned and frames are made in
> > Taiwan.
>
> They are actually Apollo, right?

Yes, I sure they are not Australian but a sub-company or side-company or something of Apollo.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-25712.html

Raceline seem pretty nice for their price, I'll give 'em that. I've not ridden one though so
couldn't tell you how they compare with anything.

hth hippy

Yeah, Apollo and Raceline are the some guy. Aussie brands (doesn't mean they are made here,
of course)

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ben Elliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Paul J <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > Anybody have any opinions on Raceline bikes? I know they're Aussie owned and frames are made
> > > in Taiwan.
> >
> > They are actually Apollo, right?
>
> Yes, I sure they are not Australian but a sub-company or side-company or something of Apollo.
>
> http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-25712.html
>
> Raceline seem pretty nice for their price, I'll give 'em that. I've not ridden one though so
> couldn't tell you how they compare with anything.
>
> hth hippy

I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.

I have heard that Apollo aren't going to be making Raceline anymore, but it shouldn't be an issue (parts wise) as most of your components are Shimano.

Very smooth and fast ride. Highly recommended.

And damn... I haven't seen many around.

Originally posted by aeon16
I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.

>I have heard that Apollo aren't going to be making Raceline anymore, but it >shouldn't be an issue (parts wise) as most of your components are >Shimano.

>Very smooth and fast ride. Highly recommended.

>And damn... I haven't seen many around.

Just spoke to a guy riding one this morning. He hasn't had it long but he's very impressed. I just don't think I'm never going to own something hand built in Italy and if I'm going to be needing to retire an aluminium frame every 5 years or so then I think value for money is the biggest factor to consider. Plus I won't be afraid to thrash it a bit if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

"Paul J" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I ride a Raceline Giro. Fantastic bike, I really recommend them.
>
> Just spoke to a guy riding one this morning. He hasn't had it long but he's very impressed. I just
> don't think I'm never going to own something hand built in Italy and if I'm going to be needing to
> retire an aluminium frame every 5 years or so then I think value for money is the biggest factor
> to consider. Plus I won't be afraid to thrash it a bit if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This opinion may well be totally wrong and might upset a few people, but here goes:

The only people I have seen with $5k+ (usually more) Italian beauties have them leaning against the
cafe where they have been sitting for the last hour! :p

I have seen a couple of Colnago's being raced but their numbers are dwarfed by people riding
mass-produced aluminium frames (Giant, Avanti, Specialized, probably my Peugeot, etc).

Buy a mass-prod bike and thrash away.. leave the 10 grand beauties to enjoy their cafe lattes :)

hippy

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> This opinion may well be totally wrong and might upset a few people, but here goes:
>
> The only people I have seen with $5k+ (usually more) Italian beauties have them leaning against
> the cafe where they have been sitting for the last hour! :p
>
> I have seen a couple of Colnago's being raced but their numbers are dwarfed by people riding
> mass-produced aluminium frames (Giant, Avanti, Specialized, probably my Peugeot, etc).

You shoulda been at Heffron Park this afternoon. There were about eight well worn Colnagos there,
three of which (including my own) sporting Mapei paint jobs, no less.

Maybe I don't hang around as many cafes as you, but I see plenty of Colnagos at racing. My own does
about 250km per week, and has been crashed twice so far in the three years I've owned it. It's an
aluminium one, and besides the paint looking well used and pretty badly scuffed, still has a good
many years of life left.

There are probably more Giants than any other make of bike at racing, followed perhaps by Treks, but
the Colnagos are quite popular.

I have no qualms about riding around on a bike that cost six or seven grand. Plenty of people own
cars that cost more than that, and my bike _is_ my car.

Regards,

Suzy (whos Colnago carried her to 2nd place in this afternoons D grade crit)

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cni6b.85554$bo1.2528@news-
> You shoulda been at Heffron Park this afternoon. There were about eight well worn Colnagos there,
> three of which (including my own) sporting Mapei paint jobs, no less.

Okay, it didn't take long.. I knew I was gonna get rolled with this :) How many other bikes were
there racing?

> Maybe I don't hang around as many cafes as you, but I see plenty of
Colnagos

I pass quite a lot doing a 100k loop that includes Beach Rd. and bits of St. Kilda. I don't frequent
them if I can help it though.

> I have no qualms about riding around on a bike that cost six or seven
grand.
> Plenty of people own cars that cost more than that, and my bike _is_ my
car.

I'm a scrooge.. paying that much for a bike that will be ridden into the ground would be crazy for
me. Obviously other people don't share that opinion. I get what you are saying comparing bike with
car, but my bike is already worth more than my car! Come to think of it, I have three bikes that are
worth as much as my car! I really need to sell my car.. but it's those couple of trips a month that
make owning it really handy. But all that garage space... Doh!

> Regards, Suzy (whos Colnago carried her to 2nd place in this afternoons D grade
crit)

Nice work! Treat that Colnago to a cafe latte ;-)

hippy

Don't go to masters races then. Full Campy Record Moser, Fondriest, Colnago and Pinerello bikes
abound. One joker even rides the B grade on his $22,000 Look..

GK (whose bike is worth nothing like the above)

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cni6b.85554$bo1.2528@news-
> > You shoulda been at Heffron Park this afternoon. There were about eight well worn Colnagos
> > there, three of which (including my own) sporting Mapei paint jobs, no less.
>
> Okay, it didn't take long.. I knew I was gonna get rolled with this :) How many other bikes were
> there racing?
>
> > Maybe I don't hang around as many cafes as you, but I see plenty of
> Colnagos
>
> I pass quite a lot doing a 100k loop that includes Beach Rd. and bits of St. Kilda. I don't
> frequent them if I can help it though.
>
> > I have no qualms about riding around on a bike that cost six or seven
> grand.
> > Plenty of people own cars that cost more than that, and my bike _is_ my
> car.
>
> I'm a scrooge.. paying that much for a bike that will be ridden into the ground would be crazy for
> me. Obviously other people don't share that opinion. I get what you are saying comparing bike with
> car, but my bike is already worth more than my car! Come to think of it, I have three bikes that
> are worth as much as my car! I really need to sell my car.. but it's those couple of trips a month
> that make owning it really handy. But all that garage space... Doh!
>
> > Regards, Suzy (whos Colnago carried her to 2nd place in this afternoons D grade
> crit)
>
> Nice work! Treat that Colnago to a cafe latte ;-)
>
> hippy

[email protected] (Gary K) wrote in message
news:<1g0w202.38ucgo1vkej8N%[email protected]>...
> Don't go to masters races then. Full Campy Record Moser, Fondriest, Colnago and Pinerello bikes
> abound. One joker even rides the B grade on his $22,000 Look..
>
> GK (whose bike is worth nothing like the above)

Masters = expendable income !!

IMO, nothing worse than a bike that outstrips the riders ability. If I see someone bashing around in
C grade on a C40 with Record, the Rudys etc, the shop kit, I'm thinking, too much bike, not enough
training.....

And with the crit season in Melbourne about to start it's time for these guys, who mostly have
skipped the road season, to leave the safety of Beach Road.

"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> IMO, nothing worse than a bike that outstrips the riders ability. If I see someone bashing around
> in C grade on a C40 with Record, the Rudys etc, the shop kit, I'm thinking, too much bike, not
> enough training.....

The more expensive the bike.. the nicer it is to beat them :)

> And with the crit season in Melbourne about to start it's time for these guys, who mostly have
> skipped the road season, to leave the safety of Beach Road.

What do you mean about to start? Blackburn CC has been running crits at METEC since August at least.

hippy