Raceline Expert

Specifications:

Frame: 7005 triple butted aluminium with 3D forged disc dropouts & integrated headtube
Fork: Manitou Black sport (air, 80mm)
Shifters: Shimano LX
Wheels: Mavic X223 rims with Formula sealed bearing disc hubs
Chain: Truvativ Stylo Chainwheel
Front Deraileur:: Shimano LX
Rear Deraileur: Shimano XT
Brakes: Hayes HFX-9XC Hydraulic disc
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper X-Comp
Saddle: Selle Italia Focus Trans Am
Handlebar: Easton EA50 & Easton EA50 A-head
Pedals: Shimano PD-M515

Picky:
bike_expert.jpg

The components are pretty damn good and the frame seems decent enough - so just curious about Raceline overall. It's not a brand I've heard much about, even though they're Australian.

Raceline is the 'high end' arm of Apollo. They really do produce some decent bikes.

Basically the frames at this level are made in Taiwan, at the same factories where they make Giants, Treks, Avantis etc etc etc. So basically they're all pretty similar in terms of quality. Having said that, I'm not certain the model you refer to is made in Taiwan, if it's made in China steer clear, a bike of this spec should be at least Taiwanese made.

The potential problem is that many shops that stock Apollo (and thus Raceline) are fairly low end affairs that don't take a lot of care in assembling and servicing their bikes (see what I wrote to Twisties in his post on $1000 FS bikes).

Definitely the parts spec looks pretty nice, and I'm sure it will be competitively priced in comparison to the Treks et.al. All you will be giving away to someone on a bike with the same spec that costs 30% more is **** value.

Sam

I had a 2002 Raceline Enduro for a little while (before I was lured to the roadie side of things :p )

It was a good bike (and great value), albeit a bit heavy for my liking (13.5kg or so), and the component spec was compromised a little bit here and there. Then again, it was their "entry level" hardtail so that's to be expected.

I'm no expert on judging frames, but I had no problems with it. (By the way, yes they are Taiwanese made.)

The specifications you list sound quite good, though -- can't really pick any holes in it like I could with the spec list of my Enduro.

Nice choice :)

I have got a Raceline Comp (The model just below the extreme) and I love it. It's taken a lot of punishment but with trued wheels and proper care it feels like new still.

The Hayes Hydro's rock, by the way. :)

Make sure you take care of it, and iy will take care of you :p :D