Racer killed - Charleston, SC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Psycholist, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Cycling Friends,

    I wanted to pass along some very sad news to you guys.
    Garrett Wonders, Charleston professor and a rider on the
    Hincapie Sportswear-Bianchi Team, was struck and killed by a
    car yesterday while training near Charleston, SC. The car
    apparently tried to pass him from behind when there was a
    car approaching in the other lane, and Garrett was hit from
    behind and killed. This is a terrible tragedy that can
    remind us all of the inherent danger of the sport we love.
    My sincere condolences go out to Garrett's family and
    friends in this very difficult time. There was no article in
    the Charleston paper today, but you can look for one
    tomorrow. Arrangements will be announced at that time.
    Please ride and drive safely.

    Steve Baker

    Hincapie Sportswear

    Tags:

  2. "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cycling Friends,
    >
    > I wanted to pass along some very sad news to you guys.
    > Garrett Wonders, Charleston professor and a rider on the
    > Hincapie Sportswear-Bianchi Team, was struck and killed by
    > a car yesterday while training near Charleston, SC. The
    > car apparently tried to pass him from behind when there
    > was a car approaching in the other lane, and Garrett was
    > hit from behind and killed. This is a terrible tragedy
    > that can remind us all of the inherent danger of the sport
    > we love. My sincere condolences go out to Garrett's family
    > and friends in this very difficult time. There was no
    > article in the Charleston paper today, but you can look
    > for one tomorrow. Arrangements will be announced at that
    > time. Please ride and drive safely.
    >
    > Steve Baker
    >
    > Hincapie Sportswear

    Sad news indeed. I've had a close calls in the past two
    weeks. Drivers are in just too damn much of a hurry around
    here and everywhere.

  3. "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cycling Friends,
    >
    > I wanted to pass along some very sad news to you guys.
    > Garrett Wonders, Charleston professor and a rider on the
    > Hincapie Sportswear-Bianchi Team, was struck and killed by
    > a car yesterday while training near Charleston, SC. The
    > car apparently tried to pass him from behind when there
    > was a car approaching in the other lane, and Garrett was
    > hit from behind and killed. This is a terrible tragedy
    > that can remind us all of the inherent danger of the sport
    > we love. My sincere condolences go out to Garrett's family
    > and friends in this very difficult time. There was no
    > article in the Charleston paper today, but you can look
    > for one tomorrow. Arrangements will be announced at that
    > time. Please ride and drive safely.
    >
    > Steve Baker
    >
    > Hincapie Sportswear

    Damn!

    Very sad loss. Garrett, although I didn't know him too well,
    seemed like a super nice guy, and a good rider. Just raced
    with him last weekend. Condolences go out to his family and
    loved ones. Please keep us up to date on what comes of this.

    Tom

  4. Loverboyd

    Loverboyd Guest

    > > Cycling Friends,
    > >
    > > I wanted to pass along some very sad news to you guys.
    > > Garrett Wonders, Charleston professor and a rider on the
    > > Hincapie Sportswear-Bianchi Team, was struck and killed
    > > by a car yesterday while training near Charleston, SC.
    > > The car apparently tried to pass him from behind when
    > > there was a car approaching in the other lane, and
    > > Garrett was hit from behind and killed. This is a
    > > terrible tragedy that can remind us all of the inherent
    > > danger of the sport we love. My sincere condolences go
    > > out to Garrett's family and friends in this very
    > > difficult time. There was no article in the Charleston
    > > paper today, but you can look for one tomorrow.
    > > Arrangements will be announced at that time. Please ride
    > > and drive safely.
    > >
    > > Steve Baker
    > >
    > > Hincapie Sportswear

    Garrett was one of the nicest cyclists I have ever had
    the pleasure of meeting. Nobody knew him as just a
    cyclist for long, he became instant friends with everyone
    around him. I had the priviledge of being his teammate
    last year, and he was always the one raising our spirits
    in good and bad times. I will always remember him as a
    great cyclist and even better friend. My best wishes go
    out to his wife and family.

    I'm going to miss you buddy, Boyd Johnson

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I am sorry to hear about this...Having lived in SC, though,
    I can't say I'm surprised. The drivers are getting worse
    every year. Hopefully, something positive will come of this
    for everyone's sake.

    CH