RacerMate Computrainer vs. Tacx Fortius

dazman said:
I can vouch for all the above positive comments on computrainer but I will say they need to seriously bring the design and electronics into the 21st century – I also like stuff that’s in my house to look good!

Check out their Velotron. It was made after the CT and looks like a lot of R&D went into it.

cbjesseeNH said:
There is constant development for the CT by RacerMate and other developers that will keep the technology fresh for a good while to come.
I hear you on that point. First purchased my CT back in '96 as the old-school Nintendo "Donkey Kong" machine. Rode that for years until I upgraded to the new 3D version a couple of years ago. In today's throw-away world, it is refreshing to buy a product that one can easily upgrade over the years for a fairly small price. I use erg. mode a great deal but the difference between 3D and the Nintendo version is massive for sure.

All in all, given the fact that the basic core of my CT is now nearly 13 years old (I can't tell you how many frames, wheels, etc. I've had in that time frame) it has been probably my best all time cycling purchase. Best thing is that it still matches my SRM +/- 2%.

Thanks to all of you great folks out there for your insights. It's the little details that I like to get before making an investment of this caliber. From what everyone here has provided, I believe the CT is going to be the better choice for me and once I finish my Christmas shopping for my friends and family, I will give myself a practical and useful gift. It sure beats yet another scarf or necktie! Can't do much with either. :D

Hello RacerMate, I have owned a Tacx Fortius for seven years and have had fortunate luck with it, unlike others who have experienced blown fuses. This year (March) I got on my bike and I noticed that I couldn"t start the video....let alone pedal...as it turns out, I think the power unit died! The fuse appears okay, I get a yellow light..therefore the connection to the computer is good, but no green light. Replacing the unit will cost a bundle. After seven years and many hours of training on my fortius, I think I got my monies worth (although I want it to work longer). If the Computrainer is comparable and made in North America, you might want to consider this system for replacement parts. Chani