Racing after a week long cold??

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Andrew Larigo, May 23, 2003.

1. Andrew Larigo

Andrew Larigo New Member

Since Tuesday of this week, I have had classic cold symptoms: Headache, stuffy nose & sore throat. Today is Friday & only the stuffy nose remains. I have not rode since Tuesday,which was a steady 30min recovery on the turbo after last weekend's race. I've entered a race for this Sunday, but should I go? Would it be best to skip it and plan to regain the training next week and continue with the racing thereafter or decide to race & see how I'm feeling during Saturday??

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks
    Andy.

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

As long as you are not cheating yourself and have recovered sufficently, you could race. Have a spin on Saturday to see how you feel and compete on sunday as long as the race isn't too stressful (e.g. 100 mile road race, etc.).

You are normaly safe to train or race when the symptoms are above the neck. Be careful with the preperation and recovery after training or the race. If in any doubt don't do it!!

3. Andrew Larigo

Andrew Larigo New Member

Thanks for that.

My mate (who also is my Mentor for training programmes) said pretty much the same thing. Ride today, 30mins turbo easy & then ride tomorrow with a couple of short sharp sprints in. If your head is ok then he thinks I shouldn't rule out Sunday's race.

I think I'll judge it on the bike & see. He told me sometimes he's felt better on the bike than sitting around doing nothing trying to recover from the cold.

We'll see.

My concern was not making it worse & ending up ill still next week and then missing more racing.

I tested my Resting H/R & was only 2-3 beats higher than my normal for a 5min average reading, so in that dept. I'm ok.

The stuffiness has turned into runny nose & sneezing. (Sorry for details), so am sure it's on its way out.

Thanks again for replying.
    Andy.

4. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Let us know how you got on.

5. Andrew Larigo

Andrew Larigo New Member

Well, went out on Saturday for a steady 1hr same route ride & it Threw down with rain. Got soaked!! Not Good!!

However, rode Sunday. 80km 3/4/W/J. Negative race for 3 of 4 laps. Nobody attacking & any riding at front just enticing people to sit in for a breather.
    4th lap it woke up & was much quicker but no-one able to get away either.
    Almost got dropped off with small group I was tucked into as a gap opened & had to ride hard to get back on. Last but one climb got dropped off the back & couldn't shut the gap, from then on it was downhill to the last uphill to finish, but was never going to chase back to them.

It wa only my second race this year. I don't have the speed on the climbs yet & am struggling in that area at the moment. Losing far too many places when it slightly goes up. (Problem is I have the build for a climber - 5'8", 56kg) Also forcing an attack & keeping it high instead of opening a short gap then fading back to the bunch due to the required intensity.

Any good suggestions as to posted threads as to finding out how to apply any new sessions into my training to improve on these 2 weaknessess??

Thanks again

Andy.