Racing and Power Profile question...

EvilGoodGuy

Jul 31, 2004
How accurate are the power profiles in relation to your own experience in a race? Right now, I'm at 3.3 watts per kg at lactate threshold. If I equate LT to FTP, I should be in middle of Cat 4 (I'm a Cat 5). Thursday is my first race, so I guess I'll find out.

I have raced against some some cat 5s who can be a competitive cat 1-2. I am a 4(upgrading to 3 this season). I did a race last week, the cat 1- through 5s raced together and I beat half the cat 1 field to the finish . My power profile puts me in a cat 2. Cat 5 has the most category slackers and the biggest field where I live.

EvilGoodGuy said:
How accurate are the power profiles in relation to your own experience in a race? Right now, I'm at 3.3 watts per kg at lactate threshold. If I equate LT to FTP, I should be in middle of Cat 4 (I'm a Cat 5). ....
+1 on Zaskar's post, there are some awfully strong folks racing in the lower categories. They might be sandbaggers, might be new and haven't acquired the upgrade points or might be lacking in the tactics/luck department but expect some riders that can put the hurt to you. If you're riding at 3.3 w/kg and you have good group riding skills you should do all right, but don't expect to stomp the competition.

Ride smart and keep the rubber side down,
-Dave

Power is just one component of racing. For example - if you are riding at the back and constantly spiking in order to get back on after sharp corners you are going to get burned out no matter what and not do well. Smart racing strategy (like staying in the front 1/3, selectively pulling, etc), good technical skills (cornering - esp for crits), and persistance are what I've found I needed in addition to power in order to win. Good luck!

My first race is a training crit and I'll be riding with the B group. Hopefully, this will give me a feel for pack riding. I've done quite a few group rides where I focused on getting comfortable drafting in a pace line and moving around. I had some feedback from other riders which helped. I haven't had the experience in a tight pack. Hopefully the training crit will be the place to learn. I'll be doing it every Thursday until September. On Sunday, I have my first road race. I expect a different level of competition. My goal is to stay with the pack. I have no illusion of riding away from the group. ;)

EvilGoodGuy said:
Hopefully the training crit will be the place to learn. I'll be doing it every Thursday until September. On Sunday, I have my first road race. I expect a different level of competition. My goal is to stay with the pack. I have no illusion of riding away from the group. ;)
When my power profile rose as high into the CAT4 range as yours I stopped worrying about getting dropped from the main pack in the 5's races. The weekly practice crits will be a great way to develop the smarts and see the speed that you need to develop so that towards the end of races you can move to the front and stay well positioned for the final sprint.

On the road race this weekend, if you find that you are stronger on the hills than other riders, be careful about getting boxed in and behind riders that keep going slower and slower up the hill. In this situation a substantial gap will open up between you and faster climbers ahead. You waste a huge amount of energy trying to catch that lead group of riders that you lost contact with going up the hill. If you can hang with the strong riders going over the top of the hills slower riders behind you won't be able to chase back up to you and be around for the final sprint.

Let us know how things turn out for you. Good luck!