Racing at Lang Lang Holden Proving Grounds

Carl Brewer

Guest
CCCC (I'm starting to sound like a CCCC evangelist, despite being a
BBN member!) ran their second race on a vehicle testing
ground on Sunday - at the Holden PG at Lang Lang.

Amazing facility - wanky security guards and warnings about
cameras - like anyone cares what the next dunnydore will look
like anyway? But an interesting network of roads including
a huge banked track. We got to race on the banked track and
some connecting roads, which made for some very interesting
racing indeed. 10km laps,Flat course, but yours trully had the 'flu
and was bloody useless! Overall a very good place to race.

Them (CCCC) using vehicle testing grounds makes for some
bloody good race venues.

Carl Brewer said:
CCCC (I'm starting to sound like a CCCC evangelist, despite being a
BBN member!) ran their second race on a vehicle testing
ground on Sunday - at the Holden PG at Lang Lang.

Amazing facility - wanky security guards and warnings about
cameras - like anyone cares what the next dunnydore will look
like anyway? But an interesting network of roads including
a huge banked track. We got to race on the banked track and
some connecting roads, which made for some very interesting
racing indeed. 10km laps,Flat course, but yours trully had the 'flu
and was bloody useless! Overall a very good place to race.

Them (CCCC) using vehicle testing grounds makes for some
bloody good race venues.

Flat smooth banked track...... gee Carl, didn't you get dizzy riding around in circles?????

Shabby said:
Flat smooth banked track...... gee Carl, didn't you get dizzy riding around in circles?????

How many laps to go? Hippy?? er, um, 27? 3?

can one enter this race in a Ute? (holden of course) :D

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:31:30 +1000, Shabby
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Flat smooth banked track...... gee Carl, didn't you get dizzy riding
>around in circles?????

We didn't just ride around in circles. The track was maybe 4km on the
*huge* banked track, and 6km on the connecting roads. Imagine
a really big version of METEC.

And by golly, a lot of B graders don't know how to ride quickly
through tight corners or over muddy road or railway
lines (the course has 2 railway crossings! They're simulated,
ie: just 4 bits of train track, no actual railway goes through there)
Riders were slowing down over the train tracks, every lap I'd
get 3 or 4 bikelengths up the bunch at the crossings as they
all slowed down for it! Same for the muddy road just before we
turned back onto the banked track.

Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:31:30 +1000, Shabby
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Flat smooth banked track...... gee Carl, didn't you get dizzy riding
> >around in circles?????

> We didn't just ride around in circles. The track was maybe 4km on the
> *huge* banked track, and 6km on the connecting roads. Imagine
> a really big version of METEC.
>
> And by golly, a lot of B graders don't know how to ride quickly
> through tight corners or over muddy road or railway
> lines (the course has 2 railway crossings! They're simulated,
> ie: just 4 bits of train track, no actual railway goes through there)
> Riders were slowing down over the train tracks, every lap I'd
> get 3 or 4 bikelengths up the bunch at the crossings as they
> all slowed down for it! Same for the muddy road just before we
> turned back onto the banked track.

Maybe they weren't locals. In Brisbane, only tourists know how to deal
with wet weather or mud. The locals just hide indoors.

Tam

Carl Brewer said:
wanky security guards and warnings about
cameras - like anyone cares what the next dunnydore will look
like anyway?
Oh they care all right. I've a colleague who used to work at Holden. Someone took a picture of the next Commadore and posted it on the web, next thing Holden knew sales on Commadores nose dived for six months 'cause everyone wanted the new one.
--
Cheers
Euan

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:00:43 +1000, EuanB
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>> wanky security guards and warnings about
>> cameras - like anyone cares what the next dunnydore will look
>> like anyway?

>Oh they care all right. I've a colleague who used to work at Holden.
>Someone took a picture of the next Commadore and posted it on the web,
>next thing Holden knew sales on Commadores nose dived for six months
>'cause everyone wanted the new one.

It's still just a shopping trolley. Wankers :)

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>> wanky security guards and warnings about
>> cameras - like anyone cares what the next dunnydore will look
>> like anyway?

>Oh they care all right. I've a colleague who used to work at Holden.
>Someone took a picture of the next Commadore and posted it on the web,
>next thing Holden knew sales on Commadores nose dived for six months
>'cause everyone wanted the new one.

It's still just a shopping trolley. Wankers :)

It is bizarre that we live in a culture where the favorite car for an 18 yr old man is one of the two family cars!

That or rallying a white '79 mazda 323

Carl Brewer said:
CCCC (I'm starting to sound like a CCCC evangelist, despite being a
BBN member!) ran their second race on a vehicle testing
ground on Sunday - at the Holden PG at Lang Lang.

Amazing facility -
Them (CCCC) using vehicle testing grounds makes for some
bloody good race venues.

Carl who is CCCC?
Lang Lang was the site of the last attempt at the Australian HPV speed record in 1984.
Steele Bishop "only" got to 78kmh in a fully faired vehicle before the outrigger wheels caught fire!
http://www.alphalink.com.au/%7Eferret/hpv.html

In comparison the current world HPV record for 200m is 129kmh (Sam Whittington - Battle Mountain 2002) http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/speedchallenge-2004.htm

It would be good to have a go at the record again some time if Lang Lang is available for events.

Pete

Poiter said:
Carl who is CCCC?
Lang Lang was the site of the last attempt at the Australian HPV speed record in 1984.
Steele Bishop "only" got to 78kmh in a fully faired vehicle before the outrigger wheels caught fire!
http://www.alphalink.com.au/%7Eferret/hpv.html

In comparison the current world HPV record for 200m is 129kmh (Sam Whittington - Battle Mountain 2002) http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/speedchallenge-2004.htm

It would be good to have a go at the record again some time if Lang Lang is available for events.

Pete

Caulfield-Carnegie Cycling Club

78kph? you sure? Alajet hits low 70's in the sprints on tour regularly...

F"62kph.once"Dutch

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:42:32 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Poiter Wrote:
>> Carl who is CCCC?
>> Lang Lang was the site of the last attempt at the Australian HPV speed
>> record in 1984.
>> Steele Bishop "only" got to 78kmh in a fully faired vehicle before the
>> outrigger wheels caught fire!
>> http://www.alphalink.com.au/~ferret/hpv.html
>>
>> In comparison the current world HPV record for 200m is 129kmh (Sam
>> Whittington - Battle Mountain 2002)
>> http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/speedchallenge-2004.htm
>>
>> It would be good to have a go at the record again some time if Lang
>> Lang is available for events.
>>
>> Pete

>Caulfield-Carnegie Cycling Club
>
>78kph? you sure? Alajet hits low 70's in the sprints on tour
>regularly...

But not for very long, and the difference between 70 and 78km/h is
a *lot*.

We got the greenspeed "beserk" HPV up to 60 pretty
easily around the BBN velodrome one afternoon, with a bunch
of untrained (in HPV's with 105mm cranks) road riders.
It should be capable of around 80 or so, judging by the
drag coefficient it had *before* we destroyed it at Wonthaggi!

flyingdutch wrote:
> Poiter Wrote:
>
>>Carl who is CCCC?
>>Lang Lang was the site of the last attempt at the Australian HPV speed
>>record in 1984.
>>Steele Bishop "only" got to 78kmh in a fully faired vehicle before the
>>outrigger wheels caught fire!
>>http://www.alphalink.com.au/~ferret/hpv.html
>>
>>In comparison the current world HPV record for 200m is 129kmh (Sam
>>Whittington - Battle Mountain 2002)
>>http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/speedchallenge-2004.htm
>>
>>It would be good to have a go at the record again some time if Lang
>>Lang is available for events.
>>
>>Pete

> Caulfield-Carnegie Cycling Club
>
> 78kph? you sure? Alajet hits low 70's in the sprints on tour
> regularly...
>
> F"62kph.once"Dutch

Greetings,
Absolutely sure. 78.91 km/h, on the flat no assistance, I was there.
Regards,
Ray.

Ray Peace said:
Greetings,
Absolutely sure. 78.91 km/h, on the flat no assistance, I was there.
Regards,
Ray.

and that was the record?
those wooly socks are very bad aerodynamically :D
Im amazed that a lowslung faired bent couldnt beat that.
Put a chris Hoy on one (in fact i think they did this recently with the UK pursuit team versus one guy on a bent and the 'bent' passed em after 1.5k...) and i recon you'd give it a shake, easy peazy.

a couple of 'Alpines' ago i got passed (blown off the road would describe it better) by a guy absolutely flying on this incredibly sexy CF 'bent' thingy.
i think i was sitting on about 85kph at the time and he past me as if i was standing still! Mind you we woz flyin down Falls at the time... :rolleyes:

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:33:06 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ray Peace Wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> Absolutely sure. 78.91 km/h, on the flat no assistance, I was there.
>> Regards,
>> Ray.

>and that was the record?
>those wooly socks are very bad aerodynamically :D

And the beard and big flag on a post!

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:05:37 +1000, Carl Brewer <[email protected]>
wrote:

>CCCC (I'm starting to sound like a CCCC evangelist, despite being a
>BBN member!) ran their second race on a vehicle testing
>ground on Sunday - at the Holden PG at Lang Lang.
>
>Amazing facility - wanky security guards and warnings about
>cameras - like anyone cares what the next dunnydore will look
>like anyway? But an interesting network of roads including
>a huge banked track. We got to race on the banked track and
>some connecting roads, which made for some very interesting
>racing indeed. 10km laps,Flat course, but yours trully had the 'flu
>and was bloody useless! Overall a very good place to race.
>
>Them (CCCC) using vehicle testing grounds makes for some
>bloody good race venues.

photos & race report are online now (Mal Sawford does a great job ...)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/AUS/2005/jun05/jun19carnegiecc

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:42:26 +1000, adam85
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> photos & race report are online now (Mal Sawford does a great job ...)
>> http://tinyurl.com/ahg63

>Is that you 'holden' on in this photo Carl? #9

yep. You can also spot another aboc'er in one of the
other shots if you look closely