Racing bike for son - any shops have stock?

Paul Reading

Guest
I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son
but cannot find a shop selling them. I bought two for his
brothers but now he needs one too. All my sons have mountain
bikes and all refuse to ride them, they are to much like
hard work. I feel very sorry for most kids as they have lost
the pleasure and freedom that we enjoyed as kids with our
light weight fast bikes. Today kids seem to have no choice.

On 2/5/04 11:02 pm, in article [email protected],
"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Paul Reading wrote:
>> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
>> son but cannot find a shop selling them. I bought two for
>> his brothers but now he needs one too. All my sons have
>> mountain bikes and all refuse to ride them, they are to
>> much like hard work. I feel very sorry for most kids as
>> they have lost the pleasure and freedom that we enjoyed
>> as kids with our light weight fast bikes. Today kids seem
>> to have no choice.
>
> I assume you've been looking in Halfords? All the decent
> bike shops round here have some lightweights / road bikes
> in. FWIW, mountain bikes can be made a fair bit easier to
> ride if you pick something fairly light, without front
> suspension if possible, and fit it with slick tyres.

I don't want a mountain bike and where is here? Can you
recommend a shop? And of course I haven't been looking in
Hal fords. The last boys racing bike I bought was a Trek
KDR1000 cost £550 and I had to import it myself as Trek
refused to do so.

Quite a few Triathlon bikes have an option for 650cc wheels.
You could habe a look in 220 Triathlon magazine or try
calling www.triandrun.co.uk

This is probably a very expensive way to but a kids bike
though. It would probably be cheaper to get someone to
custom make a steel frame for you.
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/ have a good reputation.

HTH

Paul F

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.672 /
Virus Database: 434 - Release Date: 28/04/2004

On Sun, 02 May 2004 22:34:03 +0100, Paul Reading wrote:

> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
> son but cannot find

I saw a lovely child's bike in the window of Condor (Gray's
Inn Road, London). Proper road bike, but with small frame
and wheels.

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Quite a few Triathlon bikes have an option for 650cc
> wheels. You could habe a look in 220 Triathlon magazine or
> try calling www.triandrun.co.uk
>
> This is probably a very expensive way to but a kids bike
> though. It would probably be cheaper to get someone to
> custom make a steel frame for you.
> http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/ have a good reputation.

I'm sure I saw a whole bike in Evans Gatwick; haven't seen
it in any other of their shops.

Dave Hinde at Northwich in cheshire used to make 650 wheel
bikes for kids that were superb, he has a web site
www.davehinde.co.uk . I have just checked and there is no
mention, but the link to off the peg bikes does not seem to
be working so it may be worth giving him a call. I am also
a parent and part of a family based cycling club, so I
appreciate exactly what you are going through. The last
couple of members who bought the same type of bike bought
one from Decathlon in Stockport which was reasonably priced
and the other bought a Bianchi from the Bike Factory at
Chester. The Bianchi was a fantastic little bike built with
Italian type quality and a perfectly scaled down
lightweight racing bike, even down to tubular tyres, but it
was not cheap.

Happy searching.......Dave

"Paul Reading" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:BCBB27DB.FBA3%[email protected]...
> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
> son but cannot
find
> a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but now
> he needs one
too.
> All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse to ride
> them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry
> for most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom
> that we enjoyed as kids with our light weight fast bikes.
> Today kids seem to have no choice.

>I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son
>but cannot find a shop selling them.

Any particular reason why 650mm wheels?

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

> >I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
> >son but cannot find a shop selling them.
>
> Any particular reason why 650mm wheels?

Shorter top tube, easier acceleration?

John B

A friend has a 650mm Pinarello but that was imported from
the States. Never seen one for sale in a UK bike shop but
then I haven't been in them all... despite what my wife says

Woody

"Paul Reading" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:BCBB27DB.FBA3%[email protected]...
> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
> son but cannot
find
> a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but now
> he needs one
too.
> All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse to ride
> them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry
> for most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom
> that we enjoyed as kids with our light weight fast bikes.
> Today kids seem to have no choice.

>A friend has a 650mm Pinarello but that was imported
>from the States. Never seen one for sale in a UK bike
>shop but then I haven't been in them all... despite what
>my wife says
>
>Woody

Offspring has a GT vengeance, which has 650mm wheels - he
uses it in time trials. But he also as a Peugeot & a Nigel
Dean with 700mm wheels.

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

On 3/5/04 3:13 pm, in article [email protected],
"Dave Chadderton" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dave Hinde at Northwich in cheshire used to make 650 wheel
> bikes for kids that were superb, he has a web site
> www.davehinde.co.uk . I have just checked and there is no
> mention, but the link to off the peg bikes does not seem
> to be working so it may be worth giving him a call. I am
> also a parent and part of a family based cycling club, so
> I appreciate exactly what you are going through. The last
> couple of members who bought the same type of bike bought
> one from Decathlon in Stockport which was reasonably
> priced and the other bought a Bianchi from the Bike
> Factory at Chester. The Bianchi was a fantastic little
> bike built with Italian type quality and a perfectly
> scaled down lightweight racing bike, even down to tubular
> tyres, but it was not cheap.
>
> Happy searching.......Dave
>

> "Paul Reading" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:BCBB27DB.FBA3%paul.reading@cp-
> lighting.co.uk...
>> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
>> son but cannot
> find
>> a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but
>> now he needs one
> too.
>> All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse to ride
>> them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry
>> for most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom
>> that we enjoyed as kids with our light weight fast bikes.
>> Today kids seem to have no choice.

The Trek I bought must be very similar to the Bianchi it
uses 650x23c tyres, I can get the tyres from Evans but they
do not sell boys racers.

Thanks for you help chaps, I now I have a few ideas.

"Paul Reading" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BCBB27DB.FBA3%[email protected]...
> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
> son but cannot
find
> a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but now
> he needs one
too.
> All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse to ride
> them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry
> for most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom
> that we enjoyed as kids with our light weight fast bikes.
> Today kids seem to have no choice.

I've got a Raleigh "Racer 47" (600cm wheels, 5 speed) in my
garage if you want to collect it for free - London W3

"Paul Reading" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BCBB27DB.FBA3%[email protected]...
> I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my
> son but cannot
find
> a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but now
> he needs one
too.
> All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse to ride
> them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry
> for most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom
> that we enjoyed as kids with our light weight fast bikes.
> Today kids seem to have no choice.

My sister used a 650 wheel Connondale "racer" for triathlon
before getting a Principia. It now sits on her turbo
trainer. if you're interested I can ask her for details.

Julia

MartinM wrote:
> Paul Reading <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
>
> Any use??
>
> 1999 Mercury Race Reynolds frame, 650c wheels, 160mm
> cranks, Sora d/t gears ideal for kids or small ladies 46
> cm in Metallic Black Original price £425 Clearance price
> £295 Save £130!
>
> http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/bargains5.htm

Cannondale do a range of compact frame road bikes with 650c
wheels for smaller riders in their standard range e.g. http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/00/cusa/model-
0RC4T.html

Tony