Racing categories

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark U., Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Mark U.

    Mark U. Guest

    I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years old and was wondering if a
    Masters category would be a better experience. What are the Masters categories, I can't find a web
    site that lists them?

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 1/4/03 9:17 PM, in article [email protected], "Mark U."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years old and was wondering if a
    > Masters category would be a better experience.

    YES!!

    What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists them?
    >
    > Mark

  3. Jradford

    Jradford Guest

    Be aware that some states, by their own choice, restrict Masters races to Cat 1-4 (or sometimes even
    Cat 1-3) only.

    Even if you just plan on racing Masters, I would recommend getting the appropriate Category on your
    license in order to keep your options open.

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years
    old
    > and was wondering if a Masters category would be a better experience.
    What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists them?
    >
    > Mark

  4. Oclvboy

    Oclvboy Guest

    Mark,

    Check out http://www.usacycling.org/events/2002_uscf_champ/masters_road.pdf this should give you a
    good idea of the official USCF Master Cat's available by age grouping ... basically its broken down
    into 5 year increments 30-34, 35-49 etc... Depending on where you live you are likely to see 35+,
    40+ 45+ and maybe a few 50 or 55 + Master races.

    As a 52 you will be in the 50+ Cat but can race any of the "younger" Cat's as well, though, these
    race will likely be a bit more challenging.

    You will find the Master races have fewer racers than Cat 5 races, but the competition is much
    tougher, since these guys/gals have been at it typically for a long time and are often former Cat
    1,2,3's. On the upside these folks know what they are doing and "stupid" behavior is at a minimum
    ... that means you are significantly less likely to get crashed out of a race due to some racer
    making a 90 degree left-hand turn in the final 20 meters of a field sprint. Don't get me wrong,
    there's still aggressive racing and some physical contact but its more "measured". I'd strongly
    recommend upgrading to a Cat 4 since many of the Masters races are restricted to Cat 1-4 and
    sometimes even Cat 1-3.

    As a 50+ Master with 4 years of racing under my belt, I have to say that Masters racing is fun but
    quite challenging in contrast with Cat 5, but its much safer as well.

    Good luck

    james nuzzo

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years
    old
    > and was wondering if a Masters category would be a better experience.
    What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists them?
    >
    > Mark

  5. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm
    52 years old
    > and was wondering if a Masters category would be a better
    experience. What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists
    them?

    Here's a typical road race flyer from WA State.

    START CATEGORY* LENGTH
    9:30 Masters A -30+(Cat1/2/3) 55 Miles
    10:35 Cat 4 & 5 Men 44 Miles
    11:40 Women-Cat 1/2/3 44 Miles
    12:45 Cat 4 Women 33 Miles
    13:00 Pro - Cat 1 & 2 Men 77 Miles
    14:05 Cat 3 Men 66 Miles
    15:10 Masters B - 30+ 44 Miles

    Phil Holman

  6. Jim Quinn

    Jim Quinn Guest

    Master categories vary from region to region. In Texas you will have 35+, 45+ and 55+ age groups.
    Except for a couple of races a year the age groups are unrestricted and allow all categories in
    them. I race a lot of 45+ races and the way those things generally go is that everybody races
    together for a while and then somebody attacks and most of the Cat IV's and V are dropped and finish
    the rest of the race off the back.

    My advise is to continue to do Category racing until you feel that you are strong enough to mix it
    up. It is a lot more fun finishing a race in the field than getting dropped and coming in by
    yourself. Especially the fourth or fifth time in a row that it happens.

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years
    old
    > and was wondering if a Masters category would be a better experience.
    What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists them?
    >
    > Mark

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years
    old
    > and was wondering if a Masters category would be a better experience.
    What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists them?

    In Masters classes are generally open races which means that your punk Cat 5 self will be out ther
    eracing with Cat 3, 2 and 1 and sometimes ex-Pro's. The Masters racing experience for lower classes
    generally consists of seeing the butts of the main pack disappearing up the road faster than you'd
    believe possible followed by endless time alone before the finish of the race which they don't even
    bother to score you for. I'd say that Cat 5's in the Masters classes are laughing stocks but no one
    cares enough to laugh.

    On the other hand there is a lot to be said about racing against yourself in a Masters road race.
    You could always be out there in a Cat 5 pack which crashes at every turn in the road.

  8. You will probably find that the 50+ group has some very experienced and skilled racers. It is a
    tough category to compete in. Consider doing the Senior Olympics in your area as well.

    Bruce

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm fairly new at this and raced Cat 5 last year. However, I'm 52 years
    old
    > and was wondering if a Masters category would be a better experience.
    What
    > are the Masters categories, I can't find a web site that lists them?
    >
    > Mark

  9. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    I have heard that Cat 5 will not exist in Seniors, so Master will be your only choice.