Racing Clubs ( First timer )

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ricky, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Ricky

    Ricky Guest

    I too am interested in joining a racing club.

    Its my first time, but I am worried, is racing dangerous, like criteriums,
    can they get crowded, and dangerous, I value my skin.

    Regards,
    Rick

    Tags:

  2. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Ricky wrote:

    > Its my first time, but I am worried, is racing dangerous, like criteriums,
    > can they get crowded, and dangerous, I value my skin.

    It's much less dangerous than lawn bowls.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  3. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    I think that might have something to do with the prior (and extensive) medical histories of the participants? ;)

    It's great for building riding skills. Shared sense of danger makes everyone behave fairly considerately, along the lines of "It might have been me in that neck brace". Generally road manners improve the closer to A-Grade you get, with the odd exception. Sure, going round the tip of a hot-dog might mean someone puts a pedal down, and causes some swearing, but 9/10ths of the time most people stay upright. You probably will prang at least once if you keep doing it, but that's what people do it for, isn't it, the adrenalin buzz from close proximity to possible danger?

    M "Horses for courses" H

  4. Roadie_scum

    Roadie_scum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Messages:
    1,288
    A grade has better manners? I think not... just more bunch experience.

  5. rickster

    rickster Guest

    Roadie_scum <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > mfhor Wrote:
    > > I think that might have something to do with the prior (and extensive)
    > > medical histories of the participants? ;)
    > >
    > > It's great for building riding skills. Shared sense of danger makes
    > > everyone behave fairly considerately, along the lines of "It might have
    > > been me in that neck brace". Generally road manners improve the closer
    > > to A-Grade you get, with the odd exception. Sure, going round the tip
    > > of a hot-dog might mean someone puts a pedal down, and causes some
    > > swearing, but 9/10ths of the time most people stay upright. You
    > > probably will prang at least once if you keep doing it, but that's what
    > > people do it for, isn't it, the adrenalin buzz from close proximity to
    > > possible danger?
    > >
    > > M "Horses for courses" H

    > A grade has better manners? I think not... just more bunch experience.

    Worst manners, no doubt B grade. Guys who think they are A grade, but
    aren't. Don't have the legs or brains. Guys who go under in corners.
    Guys who launch sprints from 30th wheel. Guys who still sprint even
    though first 10 places are filled by a 10 man break away (actually not
    unique for B grade, just more guys who go "I didn't know there was a
    break" Well you wouldn't from the back of the bunch you knob)

    At Glenvale in Melbourne ? Complete knobs (one in particular if
    you've ever raced out there) who drive the B grade bunch up to and
    under the A grade bunch.... Geeez I could go on (and looks like I am
    actually).

  6. The Dubliner

    The Dubliner New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2003
    A, B or C? It doesn't matter. Stay up the front, and you'll stay out of trouble. You won't miss the breaks either.

    I'll give Glenvale a miss. Thanks for the tip.