Racing in Europe????

rhino

Nov 16, 2003
I am an aspiring Australian roadie who has saved up my money and decided to give full-time cycling a go. I have heard of people going over to race in Belgium, Italy etc on there own money, and eventually finding an amateur team to race with. Exactly how hard is it too find teams over in these countries, could someone who has done this please give me advice. I am more than willing to live of my own money, and am happy just to give it a go.

Any advice or help would be wonderful.

[ I am more than willing to live of my own money, and am happy just to give it a go.
I had plenty of mates who did it back in the late 70's / early 80's. I didn't because I was headed in another direction. I can't give you any specifics other than that they joined amateur clubs, raced as often as they could (many times per week), always finished the race no matter what their position (some of the prize money went a long way down the line) and supplemented their racing income with work at 6-day events and in restaurants etc.
Whatever you get told, give it a go as, although you may not get to be a Pro, you will gain a lot of experience and have something to tell your grandkids.
I think there is often more value in doing something off your own bat than being spoon-fed into it. I saw top A-graders go over on sponsored trips and fail miserably, and I saw "mediocre" riders go over and do relatively well.
Go for it.