racing in melbourne and sydney

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:00:04 +0000, hippy wrote:

>> I aint gettin beatin by no fat Vegan:D

> ... I was passed on the ss and wanted to give
> chase but was buggered (stupid crappy no protein rubbish).

While I don't want to be seen encouraging vegetarianism...
(you think we've got canine teeth for carrots?)

Have you tried Textured Vegetable Protien(sp?) TVP?

Alot of people on the bicycle touring list reckoned that
this was a good lightweight thing to put into pre-prepared
pre-bagged instant touring meals.

Could probably use this in some sort of pasta sauce. That said
I must include the disclaimer that I've never tried it myself.

-kt

>Originally posted by Kingsley While I don't want to be seen encouraging
>vegetarianism... (you think we've got canine teeth for carrots?)

Well, neither do I.. I love meat.. but I found it a good place to save
money (meat is $$!) and now I'm just experimenting with Veganism. I did
find this though after you mentioned the teeth thing:
http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

>Have you tried Textured Vegetable Protien(sp?) TVP?

Nope, but I'll have a look for it. Most people are supposed to consume
too much protein anyway, with 10% being suggested as optimum and 17%
being what most people eat.

Vegos & sports (for the curious):
http://www.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/2001/ascpub/FactVege.asp

--

kingsley wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:00:04 +0000, hippy wrote:
>
> >> I aint gettin beatin by no fat Vegan:D

> > ... I was passed on the ss and wanted to give
> > chase but was buggered (stupid crappy no protein rubbish).

> While I don't want to be seen encouraging vegetarianism...
> (you think we've got canine teeth for carrots?)
>
> Have you tried Textured Vegetable Protien(sp?) TVP?
>
> Alot of people on the bicycle touring list reckoned that
> this was a good lightweight thing to put into pre-prepared
> pre-bagged instant touring meals.

TVP is just Soy protein. You can get it in your dairy-free protein
drinks too, Soy protein isolate.

I don't know how good so much soy is for you. Everything in moderation,
right?

Runners World's nutritionist made the call a few months ago that soy
could be the new dairy - there wasn't much lactose intolerance until
people started drinking loads of dairy and while the soy craze is based
on Japanese women being lots healthier than Western counterparts, the
daily intake of Soy in Western society is now actually significantly
higher than in a Japanese diet. TVP is soy protein, they put it in your
packet soups etc and soy gets used as a thickener in stuff and they even
put it in baby formula sometimes.

Has anyone read any research papers on this? I'm vaguely interested but
not enough to go finding some papers myself.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> there wasn't much lactose intolerance until people started drinking
> loads of dairy and while the soy craze is based on Japanese women being
> lots healthier than Western counterparts, the daily intake of Soy in
> Western society is now actually significantly higher than in a Japanese
> diet. TVP is soy protein, they put it in your packet soups etc and soy
> gets used as a thickener in stuff and they even put it in baby formula
> sometimes.
> Has anyone read any research papers on this? I'm vaguely interested but
> not enough to go finding some papers myself.
> Tam

i think if we all ate like the Japanese we would be a darned side
healthier. Look at their heart-disease rates, etc compared to us.

Now, Back onT...

the route is approx 20k Southbank, river path, Richmond boulevard, back
onto bikepath to Skipping Girl. Cross river. First KOM up Palmer St to
start of Kew Boulevard, along Boulevard. Sprint at top of hill above
Fairfield Boatsheds. Down to Chandler Bridge and down to path underneath
Singletrack approx 200m. Loose, semi-technical descent) Along path east
and 2nd KOM up to Belford St. Over bridge and left along Kilby.
Doncaster Rd and KOM and Finish line at Tram Terminus (Balwyn Rd).

Points for graceful dismount on the Goattrack at Chandler bridge, How
many footy cards in your spokes, and how many times you say 'Hi' to
fellow commuters/path users :D

--

>Originally posted by flyingdutch i think if we all ate like the
>Japanese we would be a darned side >healthier. Look at their heart-
>disease rates, etc compared to us.

In some parts of Japan... others... wow fried meat galore! :)

>Now, Back onT... the route is approx 20k

I thought we were talking about an 80k+ road ride? I take it then
that the TdS isn't the ride from Thompson's Rd(?) that was mentioned
in the "Bunch ride" thread? I'm all confused now... ( lack of sugar
and meat :) )

>Singletrack approx 200m. Loose, semi-technical descent)

You do this on a road bike or mtb? I know I've ridden some of this but
can never remember where to go or street names...

>Points for graceful dismount on the Goattrack at Chandler >bridge, How
>many footy cards in your spokes, and how many >times you say 'Hi' to
>fellow commuters/path users :D

What about no hander trackstands (okay, I'm not so good at these),
flipping off dangerous drivers and crashing? :p

hippy

--

>>I thought we were talking about an 80k+ road ride?
>>I take it then that the TdS isn't the ride from Thompson's Rd(?)
>>that was mentioned in the "Bunch ride" thread?
>>I'm all confused now... ( lack of sugar and meat :) )

Nah. the TdS is based on my alternate commute-route

>>You do this on a road bike or mtb? I know I've ridden some of >>this
>>but can never remember where to go or street names...

mtb. i had to look up half the street names. they are usually remembered
as 'the curvy one after such-n-such', or the 'the one with the hedge on
the corner' etc. the freedom of not being burdened by labels rules on
the bike :p

>>What about no hander trackstands (okay, I'm not so good at >>these),
>>flipping off dangerous drivers and crashing?

you can do the motionless trackstands along the singletrack on the
embankment between Chandler and Billabong if you like (scary/steep slope
between path and Eastern Freeway)

flippn and crashin i will leave to the expert!;)

--

hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:4q1Ec.21951$cl6.8147
@fe29.usenetserver.com:

> I did
> find this though after you mentioned the teeth thing:
> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

What a load of nonsense! We're not capable of catching meat? Not on our own
with our bare hands perhaps, but that's part of the evolutionary process.
We adapted to get round our weaknesses and hunted in groups. I know I
couldn't catch a wild pig on my own, but get a few other hungry individuals
and we'd get the porker somehow.

Graeme

news:[email protected]

[...]

> money (meat is $$!) and now I'm just experimenting with Veganism. I

"Vegan: Excludes all animal foods, dairy products and eggs. In the purest
sense, excludes all animal products including honey, gelatine, silk, wool,
leather and animal derived food additives."

That's insane. And to think people call Atkins unbalanced! Next to that
it's nutritional perfection.

[...]

> Nope, but I'll have a look for it. Most people are supposed to consume
> too much protein anyway, with 10% being suggested as optimum and 17%
> being what most people eat.

Say what??? Most people don't get anywhere near enough protein! The
science says endurance athletes (that includes cyclists so pay attention)
need around 1.6-1.8 grams per kg Lean Body Mass (LBM). That's nearly twice
the RDI (0.6-0.8 grams per kg ideal bodyweight), which is ridiculously low
because it's based on couch potatoes who think lifting the remote
constitutes weight training.

--

A: Top-posters.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I don't know how good so much soy is for you. Everything in
> moderation, right?

Especially soy and especially for men. It's got lots of downsides to
counteract the upsides:

"In addition to its low BV score [74], soy has several other nutritional
drawbacks that make bodybuilders avoid the stuff like it was fake D-bol. One
reason soy is so low on the BV scale is it is lacking in the sulfur
containing amino acid methionine. The sulfur containing amino acids
(cysteine being the other one) are particularly important for protein
synthesis/growth, proper immune system function, and the body's production
of glutathione (GSH). GSH is one of the most important anti-oxidants found
in the body and protects cells and serves to detoxify a variety of harmful
compounds such as hydrogen peroxide, carcinogens, reactive oxygen species,
and many others. In particular, GSH is also partly responsible for keeping
low density lipoproteins (LDL) from oxidizing and clogging our arteries.
Several studies have shown soy protein to be inferior to whey for the
production of GSH and improvements in immunity. Though soy has a reputation
for reducing cholesterol in man and animals, in one study rats fed soy
protein that was not fortified with methionine as 13% of total calories, had
an increase in cholesterol and an increase susceptibility of LDL cholesterol
to peroxidation . So not only did the rats cholesterol go up, the LDL
fraction oxidized easier potentially leading to clogged arteries. It is well
established that an increased susceptibility of LDL to peroxidation is an
essential step for the development of atherogenesis. These rats were found
to have low levels of GSH and did not grow as well as another groups of rats
fed casein.

"If that were not bad enough to convince you to avoid soy, it gets worse.
Soy protein contains something known as "anti -nutrients" that block the
digestion and absorption of many nutrients. Two of the more important
anti-nutrients found in soy are Lectins and protease inhibitors. Lectins are
nasty constituents of various plants and can cause all sorts of problems
from interfering with the absorption of important nutrients to intestinal
damage. Proteases are enzymes that assist in the digestion of proteins. Soy
has several protease inhibitors that interfere with the enzyme trypsin and
chymotrypsin, both of which are important for the digestion and absorption
of proteins in the gastrointestinal tract. Finally, soy is rich in
estrogenic compounds such as genistein and diadzein. There are over 300
plant derived phytoestrogens found that vary substantially in their
physiologic effect and potency in animals and man. As any bodybuilder worth
his weight belt already knows, a change in the testosterone/estrogen ratio
in favor of estrogen can lead to increased bodyfat and other ill effects as
it relates to the strength athletes goals."

http://www.brinkzone.com/soy.html

Will goes on in that article to talk about possible upsides of soy protein
isolate (which is not just soy). However, he recently said:

"That article is a bit dated at this point and I would say if I wrote it
today, I would be a little more negative on the soy thing, at least for men
in high doses."

(Message id : [email protected])

--

A: Top-posters.

>Originally posted by Drs
>> money (meat is $$!) and now I'm just experimenting with Veganism. I

>That's insane. And to think people call Atkins unbalanced! Next to that
>it's nutritional perfection.

Maybe, but I still want to try it out. Gotta learn from your
mistakes right? :)

A week and a half and no weight change and no noticeable difference in
commute times.

>Say what??? Most people don't get anywhere near enough protein! The
>science says endurance athletes (that includes cyclists so pay
>attention) need around 1.6-1.8 grams per kg Lean Body Mass (LBM).
>That's nearly twice the RDI (0.6-0.8 grams per kg ideal bodyweight),
>which is ridiculously low because it's based on couch potatoes who
>think lifting the remote constitutes weight training.

According to the AIS, the only athelets that need 1.6-1.8 grams/kg of
protein are:

"Endurance athlete undertaking moderate to heavy training":
1.2-1.6

"Endurance athlete undertaking extreme training program or competition":
2.

"Strength athlete undertaking heavy training program"
3.2-1.7

"Adolescent Athletes"
4.

"Sedentary individuals" need only 0.8 g/kg.

from: http://www.ais.org.au/nutrition/FactProtein.htm

So, where'd your values come from?

hippy

--

DRS wrote:

> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > money (meat is $$!) and now I'm just experimenting with Veganism. I

> "Vegan: Excludes all animal foods, dairy products and eggs. In the purest
> sense, excludes all animal products including honey, gelatine, silk, wool,
> leather and animal derived food additives."
>
> That's insane. And to think people call Atkins unbalanced! Next to that
> it's nutritional perfection.
>
> [...]
>
> > Nope, but I'll have a look for it. Most people are supposed to consume
> > too much protein anyway, with 10% being suggested as optimum and 17%
> > being what most people eat.

> Say what??? Most people don't get anywhere near enough protein! The
> science says endurance athletes (that includes cyclists so pay attention)
> need around 1.6-1.8 grams per kg Lean Body Mass (LBM). That's nearly twice
> the RDI (0.6-0.8 grams per kg ideal bodyweight), which is ridiculously low
> because it's based on couch potatoes who think lifting the remote
> constitutes weight training.

and the funny thing was looking at their article references - very
cyclic! Every article referenced articles on other vegan websites, and
so they cycle continues ever on.

flyingdutch wrote:
> New rule in the TdS NO VEGANS!!!

Just like the UCI and Graeme Obree: ban what you're scared of..

hippy ;-)

--

hippy wrote:
> Just like the UCI and Graeme Obree: ban what you're scared of..
> hippy ;-)

Nuh, Uh!

Just bored with you guys tryin to justify your wierd fetishes. Now if it
involved carbon fibre, i'd understand...

Besides, sounds like your gonna faint on the first hill:D

--

>Originally posted by flyingdutch Nuh, Uh!

Uh huh! :p

>Just bored with you guys tryin to justify your wierd fetishes. Now if
>it involved carbon fibre, i'd understand...

If you reckon that's wierd, you should hear about that
time...<censored> ;-)

Did you say "carbon"?

.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/eurobike/maloney/C-
50

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/interbik-
e/final_bikes2/van3

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/interbik-
e/final_bikes2/van1

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/eurobike-
/maloney/Merakreartriangle

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/interbik-
e/final_bikes2/titus2

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/eurobike-
/maloney/CarbonProsole

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id=photos/2003/tech/shows/interbik-
e/final_parts/ren1

Okay.. I'll stop now.. sorry ;-)

>Besides, sounds like your gonna faint on the first hill:D

So how does that differ from now?! :-D

hippy

--

hippy wrote:
> Besides, sounds like your gonna faint on the first hill:D
> So how does that differ from now?! :-D
> hippy

Cos I wont notice, as I'll already be at the top! :D :D :D

--

flyingdutch wrote:
> Cos I wont notice, as I'll already be at the top! :D :D :D

Gee.. building yourself up a little.. spesh since you've never seen me
dawdle.. uh I mean ride...

I'll have to start riding into the city and looking for you for an
'outbound commute battle'. :)

Choose your weapons..

Oh, is anyone going to the De Bortoli Tour? I have to marshall on
Saturday and wondered if I should keep an eye out for some aus.bikers?

hippy (vegan on the edge)

--

>>Gee.. building yourself up a little.. spesh since you've never >>seen
>>me dawdle.. uh I mean ride...

Its all in the bluff. Old Baseball habit. When pitching, smile at the
batter so he thinks your gonna 'brush him back' and then throw a
curveball over the outside edge...

>>I'll have to start riding into the city and looking for you for >>an
>>'outbound commute battle'. :)

>>Choose your weapons..

BFG - oh wait. that's Quake...

>>Oh, is anyone going to the De Bortoli Tour? I have to marshall on
>>Saturday and wondered if I should keep an eye out for >>some
>>aus.bikers?

my cuzz (Kah) reckons he's doin it.

--

>Originally posted by flyingdutch
>>Gee.. building yourself up a little.. spesh since you've never >>seen
>>me dawdle.. uh I mean ride...

>Its all in the bluff. Old Baseball habit. When pitching, smile at >the
>batter so he thinks your gonna 'brush him back' and then >throw a
>curveball over the outside edge...

My race tactics involve rocking up late, grinning stupidly for a bit,
doing something unexpected (crashing or trying to break in the first lap
of a 45min crit) and then just trying to survive :)

Psychouts are beyond me. :)

>>Choose your weapons..

>BFG - oh wait. that's Quake...

Quake or Doom? Takes too long to reload anyway.. once you've missed me I
can nail ya when you're trying to reload :p

>>Oh, is anyone going to the De Bortoli Tour?

>my cuzz (Kah) reckons he's doin it.

Cool. You going to watch?

hippy

--

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:wdsEc.11286

> Oh, is anyone going to the De Bortoli Tour? I have to marshall on
> Saturday and wondered if I should keep an eye out for some aus.bikers?
>
> hippy (vegan on the edge)

Hippy,

I'm probably going to give it a go but I'm definitely not a C grade GC
contender by any stretch of the imagination. It's mainly going to be a ride
to gain some experience and hopefully I make it to the finish line. Final
decision will be made this Monday night. All depends on how well I can cope
with racing Saturday (Northern Combine) as well as Sunday (Vic Metro Champs
MMAS2) this weekend. So, If I'm there at the DB Tour I'll probably see you.

Blackburn CC usually put on a good event so I expect this one to be no
different.

Geoff