racing in melbourne and sydney

news:[email protected]
>> Originally posted by Drs

[...]

>> Say what??? Most people don't get anywhere near enough protein! The
>> science says endurance athletes (that includes cyclists so pay
>> attention) need around 1.6-1.8 grams per kg Lean Body Mass (LBM).
>> That's nearly twice the RDI (0.6-0.8 grams per kg ideal bodyweight),
>> which is ridiculously low because it's based on couch potatoes who
>> think lifting the remote constitutes weight training.

> According to the AIS, the only athelets that need 1.6-1.8 grams/kg of
> protein are:
>
> "Endurance athlete undertaking moderate to heavy training":
> 1.2-1.6
>
> "Endurance athlete undertaking extreme training program or
> competition": 2.
>
> "Strength athlete undertaking heavy training program"
> 3.2[sic]-1.7

OK, those three are in the same ballpark.

> "Adolescent Athletes"
> 4.

Are you sure you copied that correctly?

> "Sedentary individuals" need only 0.8 g/kg.
>
> from: http://www.ais.org.au/nutrition/FactProtein.htm

The AIS just gave essentially the same values I did. Do you seriously think
that someone who rides as much as you do doesn't count as an endurance
athlete doing "moderate" training? You are not a sedentary couch potato,
are you?

--

A: Top-posters.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I ended up on a vegan athlete mailing list, checked out their website
> and the funny thing was looking at their article references - very
> cyclic! Every article referenced articles on other vegan websites, and
> so they cycle continues ever on.

That's typical of fringe groups. It happens a lot with loonie groups like
Creationists and neo-Nazis and what have you. They recursively reference
each other to make it look like there's a lot more activity and research
than there really is.

--

A: Top-posters.

>Originally posted by Geoff I'm probably going to give it a go but I'm
>definitely not a C grade GC contender by any stretch of the
>imagination.

Will you be in Richmond Cyclery gear and a.. yellow helmet, right?

--

DRS wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > I ended up on a vegan athlete mailing list, checked out their website
> > and the funny thing was looking at their article references - very
> > cyclic! Every article referenced articles on other vegan websites, and
> > so they cycle continues ever on.

> That's typical of fringe groups. It happens a lot with loonie groups like
> Creationists and neo-Nazis and what have you. They recursively reference
> each other to make it look like there's a lot more activity and research
> than there really is.

<snip>

yeah but the sad thing is that there is probably some really good
research that's not referenced, because it's not quite as one-sided as
the fringe groups would like. You know, the happy medium?

>Originally posted by Drs
>> The science says endurance athletes (that includes cyclists so pay
>> attention) need around 1.6-1.8 grams per kg Lean Body Mass (LBM).
>> That's nearly twice the RDI (0.6-0.8 grams per kg ideal bodyweight),
>> which is ridiculously low because it's based on couch potatoes who
>> think lifting the remote constitutes weight training.

>hippy said: "Endurance athlete undertaking moderate to heavy
>training": 1.2-1.6
>
> "Endurance athlete undertaking extreme training program or
> competition": 2.
>
> "Strength athlete undertaking heavy training program"
> 3.2[sic]-1.7

Sorry about the figures.. I was sure I looked at them before posting?

The point is, you said 1.6-1.8 and AIS says 1.6 is at the 'top' end of
the scale for "moderate to heavy training". I wouldn't class my riding
as "extreme" and I'm neither a weight lifter (strength athlete?) nor an
adolescent, hence my believing that you are suggesting a protein intake
that's bit too high.

>> "Adolescent Athletes"
>> 4.

>Are you sure you copied that correctly?

Not any more! :S Gee.. lack of protein or something must be killing my
eyesite ;-)

>The AIS just gave essentially the same values I did.

Well, not exactly. Your values were at the upper limit and surpassing
the AIS suggestions.

>Do you seriously think that someone who rides as much as you do doesn't
>count as an endurance athlete doing "moderate" training? You are not a
>sedentary couch potato, are you?

Not a couch potato (mmm potato) but not "extreme" either. All this is a
little irrelevant if I don't manage to measure my intake anyway.

It may be a limiting diet but let me say that it's the only thing in
the last 3+ years that has actually stopped me binging on junk food
and that has to count for something. I was thinking of adding fish to
the 'things I CAN eat' list, but I worry that relaxing these self-
imposed limits will see the system collapse in a sugar/chocolate/cream
feeding frenzy :)

When I actually see a noticeable decrease in performance or function I
will reconsider the vegan thing.

hippy

--

hippy wrote:
<snip>
> It may be a limiting diet but let me say that it's the only thing in
> the last 3+ years that has actually stopped me binging on junk food
> and that has to count for something. I was thinking of adding fish to
> the 'things I CAN eat' list, but I worry that relaxing these self-
> imposed limits will see the system collapse in a sugar/chocolate/cream
> feeding frenzy :)
>
> When I actually see a noticeable decrease in performance or function I
> will reconsider the vegan thing.
>
> hippy

That is probably due to the increase in fibre intake due to more plant
matter. Good to see. If you stay on it for long enough you can probably
gradually re-introduce fish without the habits coming back.

Me I will stick with sugar and chocolate for now.

hippy wrote:
> [snip]
> It may be a limiting diet but let me say that it's the only thing in
> the last 3+ years that has actually stopped me binging on junk food
> and that has to count for something. I was thinking of adding fish to
> the 'things I CAN eat' list, but I worry that relaxing these self-
> imposed limits will see the system collapse in a sugar/chocolate/cream
> feeding frenzy :)
> When I actually see a noticeable decrease in performance or function I
> will reconsider the vegan thing.
> hippy

Bing! (or should that be Binge!) I think I have an inkling on what
happened to make you switch to veganism... Perhaps you can relax the
"white list" of foods to include lean meat, some eggs and some dairy,
but keep the sugar/chocolate/cream feeding frenzy on the "black list"

It (sort of) works for me.

Ritch (a vegan that eats meat, eggs and dairy)

--

Originally posted by ritcho
>Bing! (or should that be Binge!) I think I have an inkling on what
>>happened to make you switch to veganism... Perhaps you can >relax the

>"white list" of foods to include lean meat, some eggs >and some dairy,
>but keep the sugar/chocolate/cream feeding >frenzy on the "black list"

That's pretty much what I planned to do. I figured on trying it and
seeing how long I could go before any dodgy side effects (see, I don't
trust vegan diets and I like meat!).

I'm still chugging along nicely, with less agression (good for life, bad
for racing) and less cravings for junk.

It will be a good test to see if I can go back to eating more normally
WITHOUT getting back into the old habits of OD'ing on lollies, etc.

--

hippy wrote:

> Originally posted by ritcho
> >Bing! (or should that be Binge!) I think I have an inkling on what
> >>happened to make you switch to veganism... Perhaps you can >relax the

> >"white list" of foods to include lean meat, some eggs >and some dairy,
> >but keep the sugar/chocolate/cream feeding >frenzy on the "black list"

> That's pretty much what I planned to do. I figured on trying it and
> seeing how long I could go before any dodgy side effects (see, I don't
> trust vegan diets and I like meat!).
>
> I'm still chugging along nicely, with less agression (good for life, bad
> for racing) and less cravings for junk.
>
> It will be a good test to see if I can go back to eating more normally
> WITHOUT getting back into the old habits of OD'ing on lollies, etc.
>
> --

Yeah, I was really proud when I stopped bingeing. I used to eat half a
packet of tim tams with morning tea, you know. Then I decided to limit
it to two bikkies and a coffee. Similarly with dinner, I started dishing
out a "normal serve" and then would wait 20 minutes after finishing
before going for backups.

Of course this habit, which seems good, is now a problem because with
the 22h p.w. of moderate/high intensity training I do, I really should
be eating all that extra food. D'oh!

Oh yeah, and how good is meat!

well, i am finally in melbourne! It is bloody cold here, and i just
spent the coldest day of my life in daylesford today. The mornings are
suprisingly warm though, it is heaps colder in the mornings in perth.
What is with this wind though!!?. I did the napean hwy and north rd ride
on wednesday morning and that wind heading back up the bay was crazy. So
flyingdutch, i know i have not taken up the challenge as of yet, but
family demands have been present, but how about tommorrow evening before
i head off to the dome to cheer the mighty dons? am i going to be at a
disadvantage with only a road bike? am i going to get lost on the way
back into town? why is it so cold here?
:(

--

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:
>> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I ended up on a vegan athlete mailing list, checked out their
>>> website and the funny thing was looking at their article references
>>> - very cyclic! Every article referenced articles on other vegan
>>> websites, and so they cycle continues ever on.

>> That's typical of fringe groups. It happens a lot with loonie
>> groups like Creationists and neo-Nazis and what have you. They
>> recursively reference each other to make it look like there's a lot
>> more activity and research than there really is.

> yeah but the sad thing is that there is probably some really good
> research that's not referenced, because it's not quite as one-sided as
> the fringe groups would like. You know, the happy medium?

There is no "happy medium" in Nature. There is only what is. The "happy
medium" is an ideological construct intended to facilitate human
sociability. It doesn't apply to science. In the real world ******** is
******** - or would you like me to mix you a "happy medium" of ******** and
hot chocolate?

--

A: Top-posters.

> >Originally posted by Geoff I'm probably going to give it a go but I'm
> >definitely not a C grade GC contender by any stretch of the
> >imagination.

> Will you be in Richmond Cyclery gear and a.. yellow helmet, right?

Yep that will be me.
I really need to do something about getting a little more colour coordinated
don't I. The helmet does however match my StKilda CC club colours. I used
to have a white helmet until an altercation with a car that went thru a give
way sign ended it's life.

Geoff

news:[email protected]
>> Originally posted by Drs
>>> The science says endurance athletes (that includes cyclists so pay
>>> attention) need around 1.6-1.8 grams per kg Lean Body Mass (LBM).

[...]

>> hippy said: "Endurance athlete undertaking moderate to heavy
>> training": 1.2-1.6

[...]

> Not a couch potato (mmm potato) but not "extreme" either. All this is
> a little irrelevant if I don't manage to measure my intake anyway.

I suggested moderate for you, not extreme. And the upper bound of the AIS
figures for "moderate" is identical to the lower bound I gave, so there's
not that much difference of informed opinion there.

> It may be a limiting diet but let me say that it's the only thing in
> the last 3+ years that has actually stopped me binging on junk food
> and that has to count for something. I was thinking of adding fish to
> the 'things I CAN eat' list, but I worry that relaxing these self-
> imposed limits will see the system collapse in a sugar/chocolate/cream
> feeding frenzy :)

It's the simple carbs which are the problem. A good rule of thumb is to
replace all white food with brown foods (white bread for wholemeal bread,
etc) and eliminate sugar itself. A high protein diet with little or no
sugar is naturally appetite suppressing.

--

A: Top-posters.