Racing licence - held in one state, while living in another

groo12

Feb 23, 2004
Hi all,

Thought I would throw this little "moral" cycling dilemma out there.

Hypothetical:

You were born and raised in one state, but moved to another for work reasons.

Your parents still live in your birth state.

Is it ethical/moral to join the cycling club in your birth town, whilst completely living in another state?

From what I have seen on various state cycling federations, there is nothing to prevent this. Also, most pro's who live in another country, will be required to have a licence from their home country.

Interested in all your thoughts.....

Stay safe, stay upright.

groo12 said:
Hi all,

Hypothetical:

Is it ethical/moral to join the cycling club in your birth town, whilst completely living in another state?

From what I have seen on various state cycling federations, there is nothing to prevent this. Also, most pro's who live in another country, will be required to have a licence from their home country.

Stay safe, stay upright.
It is fine to do so, but you will not have the advantages of teamates unless you ride in races in another state, plus you will not be able to have the monetary benefits of team discounts, unless you are able to go there to obtain the discounts.

I agree, nothing morally or leagally wrong to do so. But, why would you? Your basically become an unattached rider paying club dues. No team, no support. If you can't find a local team I understand, but then if that's the case, how much racing is there?

wedgey said:
I agree, nothing morally or leagally wrong to do so. But, why would you? Your basically become an unattached rider paying club dues. No team, no support. If you can't find a local team I understand, but then if that's the case, how much racing is there?

The team thing is a draw back, but if you want to be a state time trial champion it would be a lot easier in Idaho or Montana than Colorado or California.
If you still have cycling buddies in your old state you could join there team. If you won though, someone would find out and appeal.

I live in one state, but my cycling license is from the state where I actually race and reside during college...

groo12 said:
Hi all,

Hypothetical:

Stay safe, stay upright.
Pro / UCI licences are from your home country so that come Olympics or World representation, you represent the Country on your licence. Same with USCF licences, if you want to enter a State Championship race, you have to be licenced in that state, you cannot just live there and have a licence from somewhere else, you will not be allowed to race.

climbo said:
Pro / UCI licences are from your home country so that come Olympics or World representation, you represent the Country on your licence. Same with USCF licences, if you want to enter a State Championship race, you have to be licenced in that state, you cannot just live there and have a licence from somewhere else, you will not be allowed to race.
If you want to obtain medals at a State Championship race, then yes you must be licensed in that state. HOWEVER, you certainly CAN race in the State Championship race for the prize money if you are from another state; you just can't be the State Champion.

li0scc0 said:
If you want to obtain medals at a State Championship race, then yes you must be licensed in that state. HOWEVER, you certainly CAN race in the State Championship race for the prize money if you are from another state; you just can't be the State Champion.

Cool, that means if I was really rich I could hire some out of state domestics to help me during the race. Of course this fantasy would also include the ability not to get dropped on the hills and having a sprint to beat anyone who is left.

li0scc0 said:
Actually, that is not quite correct. In order to qualify for state/district championship medals, you must be a RESIDENT of the state. Generally, it is assumed that if you are licensed in a particular state, then you are a resident of that state, although I have seen otherwise. Although many, probably most, state/district championships allow non-state residents to enter, that is only an option available to the event promoter and must be approved by the USCF representative or district association.