Racing 'must have' list

Kbh

Guest
Hola,

My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You can
assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that are
specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.

Thanks,

Kyle

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hola,
>
> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
> her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
> can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
> are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

All you really need is the same things you take on a ride: helmet, shoes, glasses, etc.

If you really wanna get technical, bring a trainer to warm up on, some wipes to clean up afterwards,
two of everything (you never know when you've forgotten something!), a floor pump, tools, and a
cooler with refreshments in it.

Most of the stuff isn't tough to figure out. Bring the things you think you'll need 'cause
eventually, you will.

Mike

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hola,
>
> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
> her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
> can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
> are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

Must haves:
1) A racing license from USA Cycling.
2) A signed release form.
3) Money for entry fees. Paying in advance saves a late entry fee, but has some risk
associated with it.
4) A properly adjusted, pumped up, lubricated, and tested bicycle*.
5) A suitcase of courage** =]

Nice to haves (some specific to the hot Florida weather I race in):
6) Extra safety pins for pinning racing number to jersey***.
7) A trainer for warming up and cooling down.
8) Sun screen****.
9) A fold-up chair.
10) A tent or umbrella for shade.
11) Plenty to eat and drink pre, during, and post race. Bring a cooler if there is room.
12) A towel to change with.
13) A plastic bag to put your nasty, sweaty racing clothes in post race.
14) Some loot for whatever else you may need.
15) If staying overnight, an overnight kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
16) Clipless pedals and shoes.
17) If she is planning on sprinting, brifters (Shimano or Campy).
18) A extra set of light race-only wheels with a tight cogset.
19) A nice set of sunglasses.
20) A set of post race clothes, including a hat to cover up your helmet hair.
21) Some water to wash off post race.
22) Black socks and rain coat if it looks like rain (look at the weather on the weather channel or
internet before you leave). Having the proper clothing can be the difference between having a
great and terrible time.

Hope this helps.

- Boyd S.

* Don't wait until the night before a race to do this stuff. ** Credit to Paul Sherwin *** I have
a "lucky" set of stainless steel safety pins which won't leave a rust stain on my jersey if I
forget to take them out for a while. **** Use a waterproof, sweatproof SPF 30-45 sunscreen
which protects for both UVA and UVB.

Mike S. wrote:

> If you really wanna get technical, bring a trainer to warm up on, some wipes to clean up
> afterwards, two of everything (you never know when you've forgotten something!), a floor pump,
> tools, and a cooler with refreshments in it.

A floor pump and a cooler is a good idea. Maybe a great big tub of Bag Balm. Spare tubes and tires
cause you can never have enough. Tagaderm because although you hope you'll never have to use it,
you'll be glad to have it on hand if you need it.

Warm-up trainer seems overkill. Unless you also have a little sun-tent to go with it. : ) How many
places don't have ROADS to do a bit of warm-up on? The others are good tips, tho. First-aid: yeah.

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

I would add a bike computer & heart rate monitor. Great for training, and knowing what is going on
with your body during a race.

news:[email protected]...

Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Warm-up trainer seems overkill. Unless you also have a little sun-tent to go with it. : ) How many
> places don't have ROADS to do a bit of warm-up on? The others are good tips, tho. First-aid: yeah.

Sometimes useful, since at some races, urban or rural, roads can be inconvenient or closed or full
of bad-tempered detoured drivers. There are some races around here where the race announcement says

To the OP, read this: http://bikerace.ahc.umn.edu/firstrace.html

Kyle,

I have found the "Topo USA" to be nice for scoping out course profiles etc -- assuming your wife is
racing in the US.

REgards, Chas.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hola,
>
> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
> her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
> can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
> are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hola,
>
> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
> her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
> can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
> are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.

If you really want to get 'pro', don't forget:

1) lightweight 2-way radios so you, acting as DS, can bark out race strategy to her
2) a syringe of liquid amphetamine
3) a condom full of 'clean' urine, if it's a UCI race and the **** test issue arises
4) an extra black book for the phone #'s of desperate master's cyclists making passes (see thread:
"Probably a masters cyclist")

you're welcome, in advance.

Kurgan Gringioni rbr masters national champion

Always have:

Spare wheelset, Spare shoes, Spare helmet, Spare sunglasses, Spare gloves.

There is nothing crappier than getting to a race feeling really good to find out that you forgot
your shoes. The spare stuff goes in a racing bax that always goes in the trunk for racing.

A trainer to warmup on is nice but not really necessary if you get there early enough.

Spare time is a big plus. If you do some of the housework then she can spend more time on the bike.
That makes a huge difference in performance.

Find her a local girls racing team. Girls are different than guys. We have fun training in a
gourp and all that but we can train alone and be fine. Women train much better in groups with a
group goal.

If your wife is serious a nice present is a year of coaching. This does make a big difference if
you're serious and will take the trouble to follow the advice. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hola,
>
> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is
planning on
> racing a lot more. For her upcoming brithday, I would like to
assemble of
> kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You can assume she has the
bike,
> various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas
that are
> specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Warm-up trainer seems overkill. Unless you also have a little sun-tent to go with it. : ) How many
> places don't have ROADS to do a bit of warm-up on?

Jeff, were you ever a good rider? That is coming close to your potential in terms of the amount of
time you had to train. Or have you ever coached another cyclist to come close to his/her potential?
Or coached beginners with advice they didn't have to unlearn later in order to improve?

From what I've read from you over the years, the answer to all those questions is probably
"no." I hope I'm mistaken, but unless I am you should really just shut up about giving
racing/training advice.

To the OP, the list from the link below is perhaps overkill, but it's useful in thinking about what
is appropriate to bring to the race. The key elements for me are lots of clothes for warming up,
racing and cooling down so the rider can be properly dressed in any likely weather, lots of food and
drink for before, during and after the race, and a reliable bike.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=W_cf7
.556%24Vi.197937%40nntp1.onemain.com

There are other informative things in that thread too.

To me, it's really important to have a plan of roughly when to arrive, how long to warm up,
how/when to survey the course, etc. Developing that sort of plan takes time -- so for starter make
sure your wife is not rushed -- that adds too much stress. Getting to the race 1.5 to 2 hours early
is wise I think.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

The problem with a heart rate monitor is that it scares hell out of you in a race. Heart rate
monitors are training devices that are used to measure how EASY you're riding, not how hard. You
automatically ride at your LT by trying to climb as fast as you can without blowing up. But riding
easy requires some sort of instrument to convince you how easy 'easy' really is.

In a race you're normally at or above your LT for the entire race. It's pretty disconcerting to see
your heart rate 10 beats above LT on the fourth lap of a 45 minute crit. But without that heart rate
monitor you can always think that you're below your LT.Sometimes ignornance is bliss.

"Bob McBreen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> >
> > * Don't wait until the night before a race to do this stuff. ** Credit to Paul Sherwin *** I
> > have a "lucky" set of stainless steel safety pins which
won't
> > leave a rust stain on my jersey if I forget to take them out for a
while.
> > **** Use a waterproof, sweatproof SPF 30-45 sunscreen which
protects for
> > both UVA and UVB.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hola,
>
> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
> her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
> can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
> are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.

Slip-in sandals for walking around before and after. Cooler bag for water bottles. Small sports bag
(or knapsack) for shoes, food, change of clothes, licence card. Rollers or wind trainer for warming
up. Track pump (floor pump) with gauge. Tool box and kit. Spare wheels and tyres. Safety pins for
when there aren't enough supplied with number. Mark Lee

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:0hVva.67547$ey1.6105132
@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

> The problem with a heart rate monitor is that it scares hell out of you in a race. Heart rate
> monitors are training devices that are used to measure how EASY you're riding, not how hard. You
> automatically ride at your LT by trying to climb as fast as you can without blowing up. But riding
> easy requires some sort of instrument to convince you how easy 'easy' really is.
>
> In a race you're normally at or above your LT for the entire race. It's pretty disconcerting to
> see your heart rate 10 beats above LT on the fourth lap of a 45 minute crit. But without that
> heart rate monitor you can always think that you're below your LT.Sometimes ignornance is bliss.

<snip>

For me, a heart rate monitor is a training tool only. I will wear it in a race, but I don't look at
it or my computer. On the occassion that I'm in a break away, I might glance at my speed every once
in a while just to make sure it isn't dropping off. Other than that, my eyes are to focused on the
road and the riders in front of me to have time to look at this stuff during the race. I will look
at it afterwards to see my max hr, speed, etc.

Just my $0.02

- Boyd S.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:q4Vva.67517
[email protected]:

> Always have:
>
> Spare wheelset,

Yup, for punctures.

> Spare shoes,

Do you have 4 feet?

> Spare helmet,

For your other head (no penis jokes please ;)?

> Spare sunglasses,

Do you have 4 eyes? Bring a set of sun glasses and a set of clear glasses for rainy or overcast
conditions.

> Spare gloves.

I don't even have a non-spare set. I can't feel or grip the bars nearly as well with gloves; I guess
its a personal preference.

> There is nothing crappier than getting to a race feeling really good to find out that you forgot
> your shoes. The spare stuff goes in a racing bax that always goes in the trunk for racing.

That's why you have a checklist and pack your car on the eve of the race.

> A trainer to warmup on is nice but not really necessary if you get there early enough.

Sometimes it is necessary if there is no where to warm up.

> Spare time is a big plus. If you do some of the housework then she can spend more time on the
> bike. That makes a huge difference in performance.

Yup.

> Find her a local girls racing team. Girls are different than guys. We have fun training in a
> gourp and all that but we can train alone and be fine. Women train much better in groups with a
> group goal.

I just love those "gourp" rides ;)

> If your wife is serious a nice present is a year of coaching. This does make a big difference
> if you're serious and will take the trouble to follow the advice. Otherwise it's just a waste
> of money.

If you yourself are a racer, you might save some loot by coaching her yourself. At least for
the first season. Then if she likes it and sticks with it, a professional coach might help both
you and her.

- Boyd S.

I just have to chime in here. In all the time I've been lurking in this newsgroup, this would have
to be the most informative and useful thread I've experienced. Thanks everyone for the excellent
contributions.

Cheerz, Lynzz

> The problem with a heart rate monitor is that it scares hell out of you in a race. Heart rate
> monitors are training devices that are used to measure how EASY you're riding, not how hard. You
> automatically ride at your LT by trying to climb as fast as you can without blowing up. But riding
> easy requires some sort of instrument to convince you how easy 'easy' really is.
>
> In a race you're normally at or above your LT for the entire race. It's pretty disconcerting to
> see your heart rate 10 beats above LT on the fourth lap of a 45 minute crit. But without that
> heart rate monitor you can always think that you're below your LT.Sometimes ignornance is bliss.

I'll second the "ignorance is bliss" argument. What are you gonna do? Tell the pack, "Hey, y'all
wait a minute, I'm over my LT?"

Before I broke my HR monitor, I'd have it on, but turned upside down on the bars. At least then I
could say after: "Hey, look I spent X min. over my LT!"

Mike

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Warm-up trainer seems overkill. Unless you also have a little sun-tent to
go
> with it. : ) How many places don't have ROADS to do a bit of warm-up on?
The
> others are good tips, tho. First-aid: yeah.

I've done it both ways: with and without a trainer. When I've had a trainer to warm up on, I always
end up warming up better than if I'm riding around the course. Usually, I'll do both. Warm up for
45-60min on the trainer, then ride around on the road and do some out of the saddle jumps.

When/if you're track racing, its almost mandatory to have some kind of trainer to warm up on.
Often the "warmup tracks" are just for getting moving again after sitting around waiting for your
next race.

Seems to work well for me. The trainer doesn't have to be anything fancy. A fan unit's fine.

Mike

>> Hola,
>>
>> My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
>> her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
>> can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas
>> that are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kyle

Life Support Pack:

Bunch O'pins. Sun Screen. Massage oil. Maps. Packets of Gatorade or similar Few Cliff Bars or
similar. M&M's, Oreos, similar for those 'bad race' days. Extra coin for an emergency soda.
Disposable camera for those long drives or road races. Portable CD case. Rain jacket, arm warmers,
leg warmers.

Tool box items: Old beer six pack container for storing water bottles. Few toe straps for
'strapping' stuff. Roll of electrical tape taping stuff. Spoke wrench! Chain tool. Mini mag light
for map reading.

First Aid Kit: "Spandage" = that stretchy net stuff to hold bandages on with. Don't ask me where to
get it though, I have to 'borrow' mine from work. "Tegaderm" -get the big ones. It's like 'Sheet
tape'. Very thin, very sticky. Handy wipes for post race or grease clean up. Hydrogen Peroxide for
cleaning those scrapes.

jw milwaukee

jw milwaukee

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote
> Must haves:
> 1) A racing license from USA Cycling.

Only if you are in an area that has no other alternative. Not needed here in Oregon.

Boyd furhter writes:
> Nice to haves (some specific to the hot Florida weather I race in):....
> 3) Sun screen****.

Unfortunately also not often needed here in Oregon.

--
Mike Murray