Racing 'must have' list

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kbh, May 12, 2003.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in news:q4Vva.67517
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > Always have: Spare wheelset,
    >
    > Yup, for punctures.

    And for that wheel that got broke in your warmup lap when you didn't know that )(*&) pothole was
    right there.

    > > Spare shoes,
    >
    > Do you have 4 feet?

    No, but try changing a broken cleat in 60 seconds.

    > > Spare helmet,
    >
    > For your other head (no penis jokes please ;)?

    Apparently you've never gotten to a race to discover that you left your equipment bag right next to
    the front door. Having a racing box in the trunk with all spare equipment is a god send.

    > > Spare sunglasses,
    >
    > Do you have 4 eyes? Bring a set of sun glasses and a set of clear
    glasses for rainy or
    > overcast conditions.

    Same problem

    > That's why you have a checklist and pack your car on the eve of the
    race.

    Psst - twilight racing. You've just gotten home from work and just have enough time to change ,
    throw everything in the car and split for the crit. Then you get there and find out you forgot
    something and have to run around and borrow it or sit the race out. Bummer.

    > > A trainer to warmup on is nice but not really necessary if you get there early enough.
    >
    > Sometimes it is necessary if there is no where to warm up.

    Yeah, but if you are there early enough you can ride on the course.

    > > Spare time is a big plus. If you do some of the housework then she
    can
    > > spend more time on the bike. That makes a huge difference in performance.
    >
    > Yup.

    Not to mention making all sorts of "almost gay" points with all the other girls.

    > > Find her a local girls racing team. Girls are different than guys.
    We
    > > have fun training in a gourp and all that but we can train alone
    and
    > > be fine. Women train much better in groups with a group goal.
    >
    > I just love those "gourp" rides ;)

    Thhppppppppppttt!

    > > If your wife is serious a nice present is a year of coaching. This does make a big difference if
    > > you're serious and will take the
    trouble
    > > to follow the advice. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.
    >
    > If you yourself are a racer, you might save some loot by coaching
    her
    > yourself. At least for the first season. Then if she likes it and sticks with it, a professional
    > coach might help both you and her.

    NEVER coach a friend yourself. If people aren't paying for advice they just won't take it and you
    end up being overly concerned about nothing at all and getting all pissed at that. BTW, I said "if
    she's serious" meaning that she has probably put in her first season and survived that. It's pretty
    hard to make it past the first season if you haven't found something in the racing.

  2. Lw

    Lw Guest

    Don't forget the short-sleeved jersey. USCF rules - gotta have sleeves. Can't count how many first
    timers show up in tank tops only to have the officials tell them they can't race...

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I'm just looking for some ideas that are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.

    How about a trailer to haul all the stuff mentioned above?

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hola,
    >
    > My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
    > her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
    > can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
    > are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle

  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I thought this was a "must have list"?

    How long does it take to pack the car?

    All that time and energy could go into checking your bag, to see if it includes food, race kit,
    shoes, license and bike (with bottles, helmet, seatbag w/tools).

    Whatever would happen when your teammate shows up to pick you up, and you're jumping up and down on
    a steamer trunk full of gear trying to get it closed?

  5. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hola,
    >
    > My wife just got into bike racing, is doing quite well, and is planning on racing a lot more. For
    > her upcoming brithday, I would like to assemble of kit of bike racing 'must haves' for her. You
    > can assume she has the bike, various jersey's, helmet, etc... I'm just looking for some ideas that
    > are specific to preparing for, or riding in, a race.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle

    I think the most important things to have after a race is a change of clothes, including underwear,
    and a towel to wrap around me to drop trou' and change. Otherwise the drive home, if I drove to the
    race, is uncomfortable and unhealthy.

    I have never planned ahead well enough to accomplish this, but a cooler full of beer and a bag of
    Tim's Cascade Jalapeno Potato Chips would also be a great thing to have after a race. Or right now.

    --Keven.

  6. John Kaiser

    John Kaiser Guest

    [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >From: [email protected] (LW)
    >
    > >Don't forget the short-sleeved jersey. USCF rules - gotta have sleeves. Can't count how many
    > >first timers show up in tank tops only to have the officials tell them they can't race...
    > >

    > Here's another thing nobody has mentioned, bar end caps. We actually keep a couple of sets in the
    > jeep just in case someone loses one. There were a couple of times last year during 'cross season
    > they saved someones race at the start line. Bill C

    What a great thread! All these useful things I've been forgetting to bring to races. One thing not
    mentioned is some inspiration. I have those little die-cast cyclists, a whole team in fact, in
    Molteni colors. Perhaps I need to bring that to my next race.