Racing with PowerTap?? (Opinions)

velobob said:
Is it really possible to ascertain why someone had a bad race or even a race that was not up to the potential of their fitness at the time soley based on Power readings from the race?
No, but you can eliminate some factors and narrow down the potential causal factors, including cumulative aerobic stress and usage of anaerobic work capacity. I'd rather start with some quality data and then go to subjective factors rather than have no data at all.

velobob said:
Is it really possible to ascertain why someone had a bad race or even a race that was not up to the potential of their fitness at the time soley based on Power readings from the race?
Not necessarily "why," but you can tell whether that was really the case or not. Sometimes races that feel like "bad races" end up being personal best performances from a power standpoint, where we just got our clocks cleaned by a particularly strong field.

velobob said:
It seems to me like there could be lots of other factors: sickness, fatigue, stress, nutrition (pre-race and during), equipment, setup, skills that could impact race day performance.
Sure, but if the power is there, then those are pretty much eliminated as factors for why we didn't win a particular race.

On the other hand, if you're trying to comment on the exchange between Andy and Warren, forget it. They're both aware of each others thoughts on the subject, and they'll either have another go at it, or let it go. ;)

WarrenG said:
Maybe you could learn something from pros, maybe not. They spend far more time and resources than you do learning about how to perform at their best.
To that, I'd have to say BS. That may be true for the pros who are working with your coach...but they're in the vast minority. I'd guess that the average poster on here spends more time and has more resources to perform their best...their best is just slower than that of pros.

Most pros don't race with PM's because they are late adapters, and/or listening to coaches/ team DS's who didn't race with power meters, and think that they're 'too heavy' for racing (one real, big time DS's words...).

RipVanCommittee said:
To that, I'd have to say BS. That may be true for the pros who are working with your coach...but they're in the vast minority. I'd guess that the average poster on here spends more time and has more resources to perform their best...their best is just slower than that of pros.

Most pros don't race with PM's because they are late adapters, and/or listening to coaches/ team DS's who didn't race with power meters, and think that they're 'too heavy' for racing (one real, big time DS's words...).

Tell us how you KNOW this about teams like Disco, T-Mobile, CSC, S-D, Quick-Step, Gerolsteiner... How many of those riders work with coaches who provide knowledgeable training advice for most every day of the season? How many use powermeters in training? How many years have they been doing this? How many do lab testing at least a few times each season?

WarrenG said:
Tell us how you KNOW this about teams like Disco, T-Mobile, CSC, S-D, Quick-Step, Gerolsteiner... How many of those riders work with coaches who provide knowledgeable training advice for most every day of the season? How many use powermeters in training? How many years have they been doing this? How many do lab testing at least a few times each season?
Well, the elite amateur team I'm on has had 12-14 guys turn pro over the last 7 years or so...one of whom road for one of the lauded teams you've mentioned above--2 are on pro tour teams, the rest on continental teams. I'm in regular contact with over half of them, and train regularly with 4-5 of them.

The 'coaching advice' they get ranges from pretty good, to ridiculous, IMHO. Even in the pro tour teams, the level of 'coaching' varies greatly among the riders on the team...and the scrubs don't get very much attention.

You know as well as I do, most pros aren't making Levi-type money, and most can't even afford to hire a coach, at least the continetal team guys.

The best line I've heard, from one of the most respected US DS's in the last decade:"it's not professional to race with a power tap"...WTF is that?? (that was just last year--and PT was one of their sponsors??)....

There's a pretty big divide between the level of interest the teams really have in guys who are Tour GC riders or guys who can win races, and the rest of the team.

I maintain that the biggest reason most pros don't race with a power meter is that they're simply uninformed and a slave to tradition. I also suspect in 5-7 more years, racing without a PM will have the look of an NHL hockey player playing w/o a helmet.....

RipVanCommittee said:
Well, the elite amateur team I'm on has had 12-14 guys turn pro over the last 7 years or so...one of whom road for one of the lauded teams you've mentioned above--2 are on pro tour teams, the rest on continental teams. I'm in regular contact with over half of them, and train regularly with 4-5 of them.

The 'coaching advice' they get ranges from pretty good, to ridiculous, IMHO. Even in the pro tour teams, the level of 'coaching' varies greatly among the riders on the team...and the scrubs don't get very much attention.

You know as well as I do, most pros aren't making Levi-type money, and most can't even afford to hire a coach, at least the continetal team guys.

The best line I've heard, from one of the most respected US DS's in the last decade:"it's not professional to race with a power tap"...WTF is that?? (that was just last year--and PT was one of their sponsors??)....

There's a pretty big divide between the level of interest the teams really have in guys who are Tour GC riders or guys who can win races, and the rest of the team.

I maintain that the biggest reason most pros don't race with a power meter is that they're simply uninformed and a slave to tradition. I also suspect in 5-7 more years, racing without a PM will have the look of an NHL hockey player playing w/o a helmet.....

(I should not have mentioned S-D because I haven't seen them do much WRT to training and coaching that indicates they're near the top.) I agree that the quality of coaching varies widely among teams. Some have their own staff coaches and other teams, especially T3 teams and French teams give their riders the responsibility of finding their own coaching. The rider does not need "Levi money" to hire a good, or decent coach.

So, your point of view is based on new pros and other guys on T3 teams... You think these guys don't get the help and resources of the average poster here, a cat 4 who does not have a coach?

Among all the good to decent pros who do train with power why do you think they don't race with their powermeters? Uninformed? If they thought there was good reason to they would.

IME with a good coach who also works with some riders in T1 to T3 teams is that there just isn't much information to be had there that will affect racing and training. If you can't do your job, or make the splits you need to make, or do what you need to do in the finale, or place well in races the DS doesn't want to hear you whining about your NP being 10 watts over your threshold and neither does your coach. You simply need to get better in certain areas of racing and the numbers during racing are secondary to those objectives.

IME with a good coach who also works with some riders in T1 to T3 teams is that there just isn't much information to be had there that will affect racing and training. If you can't do your job, or make the splits you need to make, or do what you need to do in the finale, or place well in races the DS doesn't want to hear you whining about your NP being 10 watts over your threshold and neither does your coach. You simply need to get better in certain areas of racing and the numbers during racing are secondary to those objectives.

I'm happy to hear this attitude; it means that, at least for a while, guys like me will have the advantage of understanding how to use power to improve.

For those with a serious case of "pro worship", it may take a while to catch on, because their heroes don't always use a pm....yet.

Amateurs don't do 35k per year, so training smartly is even more important to us.

I feel pretty confident that as we learn more about power those who embrace it will have a major advantage over those who rely on results, times, HR, lactate or RPE.

WRT learning I used my Powertap in my first road race in 7 years and was interested in the following results. Ave power 201 watts for 65min race. My FT is 219. Does this mean I could have ridden 18 watts harder and over the race distance and gone three mins faster?

I was looking after some of the U17 girls I coach till the turn around so easily could have started attacking from the start (21mile race) and despite being the only one trying to toughen the race finished pretty fresh.

Also by analysing my power could I determine how many more times I could have attacked. Say is there a way to determine from power analysis whether I could have attacked every three mins instead of every five?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
I used my Powertap in my first road race in 7 years and was interested in the following results. Ave power 201 watts for 65min race. My FT is 219. Does this mean I could have ridden 18 watts harder and over the race distance and gone three mins faster?
This is fairly typical and is due to the drafting benefit. The same thing holds for fast group training rides. Of course, you could go to the front more often, but that often serves no purpose because you are subjecting only yourself to stress.

fergie said:
Also by analysing my power could I determine how many more times I could have attacked. Say is there a way to determine from power analysis whether I could have attacked every three mins instead of every five?
Yes, you can perform such analysis, but you need to look at more than just NP (which measures the cumulative aerobic intensity). You need to do match analysis because the attacks will be anaerobic efforts and that draws on a separate capacity, your anaerobic work capacity.

RapDaddyo said:
Yes, you can perform such analysis, but you need to look at more than just NP (which measures the cumulative aerobic intensity). You need to do match analysis because the attacks will be anaerobic efforts and that draws on a separate capacity, your anaerobic work capacity.

If I tap into more of my AWC as I could have in this race, would I have to settle for a lower ave power for the race. Or does the lower ave power mean I could have attacked more or at least tried to set a faster pace in the bunch to wear more people down?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
If I tap into more of my AWC as I could have in this race, would I have to settle for a lower ave power for the race. Or does the lower ave power mean I could have attacked more or at least tried to set a faster pace in the bunch to wear more people down?
You can't tell too much by looking at only the NP/AP relationship unless NP is very near your MP for the duration. In the latter case, then yes, you tapped into your AWC significantly. Let's say your MP for the ride duration is 225W and your NP/AP for the ride was 210W/180W. You can't really tell much about how much you used your AWC. But, let's say your NP/AP is 225W/180W. You definitely used your AWC in the latter ride, repeatedly. The attacks that would have the greatest effect are those on climbs where they can't benefit from the draft. If you go hard and steady on the flat, you're draining your tank but you're not draining their tank, so you're just getting the group to the fnish line faster. Of course, you can always drive them nuts with endless surges. If they get p*ssed off, tell them you're still figuring out how to ride with power.:D

RapDaddyo said:
You can't tell too much by looking at only the NP/AP relationship unless NP is very near your MP for the duration. In the latter case, then yes, you tapped into your AWC significantly. Let's say your MP for the ride duration is 225W and your NP/AP for the ride was 210W/180W. You can't really tell much about how much you used your AWC. But, let's say your NP/AP is 225W/180W. You definitely used your AWC in the latter ride, repeatedly. The attacks that would have the greatest effect are those on climbs where they can't benefit from the draft. If you go hard and steady on the flat, you're draining your tank but you're not draining their tank, so you're just getting the group to the fnish line faster. Of course, you can always drive them nuts with endless surges. If they get p*ssed off, tell them you're still figuring out how to ride with power.:D

21mile race, 74min duration, FT = 219watts, ave power 201, NP 235watts, 6 matches burnt during race, flat and small section of crosswinds.

So NP way over MP for that duration but AP far lower than FT???

What do I make of this? I feel that 219 is about right for FT and may even be lower after three weeks sidelined with illness.

Racing for the next 6 weeks is on the same course and I face the same problems with limited crosswinds, no hills and direct headwind/tailwind for final 5miles. I will move up a grade to get some more competition.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
21mile race, 74min duration, FT = 219watts, ave power 201, NP 235watts, 6 matches burnt during race, flat and small section of crosswinds.
How are the 6 matches defined?

fergie said:
So NP way over MP for that duration but AP far lower than FT???
Well, your FT is probably understated if you rode for 74 mins at NP=235W. Your true FT is probably 235-240W.

fergie said:
Racing for the next 6 weeks is on the same course and I face the same problems with limited crosswinds, no hills and direct headwind/tailwind for final 5miles. I will move up a grade to get some more competition.
Well, the course and conditions are tailor made for the sprinters. Very tough to take much out of them by going hard and steady on front because of the drafting benefit. If you have one or more teammates, you might try some coordinated attacks, designed to force the lead group to go anaereobic often and repeatedly. It will take some hard pushes on front and short rotations. But, who am I to suggest a strategy to you? You're the expert. I've fallen in love with TTT rotation tactics and strategy, exploiting the aerobic response half-life. As an aside, I'm having a blast organizing a group of recreational cyclists in my club to do a century in less than 5 hours. Communications and organization with a large group (12-15) is a *****. I'm going to rent a few 2-way radios and deploy a tailgunner strategy (one strong rider on the back at all times, to watch for gaps and relay pacing instructions to the front). The hardest parts are the downhill segments because you have to pull like LA to cause the paceline to even break a sweat.

RapDaddyo said:
As an aside, I'm having a blast organizing a group of recreational cyclists in my club to do a century in less than 5 hours. Communications and organization with a large group (12-15) is a *****.

To contribute to the thread drift, I've found the TTT experience to be one of the most satisfying in my modest cycling career. I was on a group of five A- riders, and through good communication we beat a group of five A+ riders. The TTT is ALL ABOUT talking to one another. Weaker riders need to skip pulls, Stronger riders really need to take it easy on corners, hills, etc. It's a hoot.

WarrenG said:
Among all the good to decent pros who do train with power why do you think they don't race with their powermeters? Uninformed? If they thought there was good reason to they would.
I had the pleasure to speak to one of the pro riders in Arkansas at the mountaintop finish of this weekend's stage race. I noticed that his PT receiver was attached to his racing bike, but his hub and computer were absent. When I asked him about it, the response was (trying to paraphrase as honestly as I can remember): "I didn't want to carry an extra 5 lbs up that hill <chuckling>. You'd just be shooting yourself in the foot to try to race with that kind of weight, especially since I have the mid-level PT [Pro]."

I saw several PT receivers this weekend, but very few hubs. I assume some teams feel that there's a benefit to the data, but that they're afraid of giving something away in another area.

Interesting. At a race on the old Morgul-Bismarck course (decent amount of climbing), I happened to park next to a guy with a PT SL hub but no computer or mount. He was also running Tufo clinchublars and DNFed because he felt like ****.

frenchyge said:
I had the pleasure to speak to one of the pro riders in Arkansas at the mountaintop finish of this weekend's stage race. I noticed that his PT receiver was attached to his racing bike, but his hub and computer were absent. When I asked him about it, the response was (trying to paraphrase as honestly as I can remember): "I didn't want to carry an extra 5 lbs up that hill <chuckling>. You'd just be shooting yourself in the foot to try to race with that kind of weight, especially since I have the mid-level PT [Pro]."

I saw several PT receivers this weekend, but very few hubs. I assume some teams feel that there's a benefit to the data, but that they're afraid of giving something away in another area.

shawndoggy said:
To contribute to the thread drift, I've found the TTT experience to be one of the most satisfying in my modest cycling career. I was on a group of five A- riders, and through good communication we beat a group of five A+ riders. The TTT is ALL ABOUT talking to one another. Weaker riders need to skip pulls, Stronger riders really need to take it easy on corners, hills, etc. It's a hoot.
I agree, TTTs are a hoot. It's a very challenging modeling exercise, taking into account the course (grades), wind, the power profiles of each team member, pacing, rotations and communications. It's very interesting to work out the pull power/duration as a function of the lowest common denominator (weakest team member's FT). I find it's very easy to put the weakest member into difficulty on the upgrades and almost impossible to put him into difficulty on the downgrades unless you have LA or the Kaiser on front.

RapDaddyo said:
How are the 6 matches defined?

6 attacks. Questions is for each match burned would I expect a lower AP for the race.

Well, your FT is probably understated if you rode for 74 mins at NP=235W. Your true FT is probably 235-240W.

Hmmm, have been going off max 60minpower from cycling peaks which is of course based on AP not NP. But then not a true believer in NP. Yet.

Well, the course and conditions are tailor made for the sprinters. Very tough to take much out of them by going hard and steady on front because of the drafting benefit. If you have one or more teammates, you might try some coordinated attacks, designed to force the lead group to go anaereobic often and repeatedly. It will take some hard pushes on front and short rotations. But, who am I to suggest a strategy to you? You're the expert.

I know Im screwed unless I remember the fact that I can sprint well and more importantly know how to win bunch sprints.

Got to get some hard races in to see whether Im dreaming about riding Veteran Nationals.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
6 attacks. Questions is for each match burned would I expect a lower AP for the race.
Not a lower AP necessarily, but a higher ratio of NP to AP. I think they have named this index VI (Variability Index) in the latest version of CP.

fergie said:
Hmmm, have been going off max 60minpower from cycling peaks which is of course based on AP not NP. But then not a true believer in NP. Yet.
FYI, you can also create a mean maximal power curve (MP/duration) based on NP. Out of curiosity, what is your max 60 min NP? It took me awhile also to become a true believer in NP, but I am now after studying many of my variable power ride files. That said, I still prefer to establish my 60MP with a relatively constant power ride, the problem being to find a route with no downhill or downwind segments and no stop lights. I've put in my request to the Nevada Transportation Dept. for an absolutely constant 2% grade, 25 mile road with no stop lights, but they have not answered yet.

fergie said:
I know Im screwed unless I remember the fact that I can sprint well and more importantly know how to win bunch sprints.
Then, do what most of the other sprinters do. Sit in and draft and wait for the sprint. I'm glad I'm not a true sprinter, because that sounds like such a boring race until the end.

fergie said:
Got to get some hard races in to see whether Im dreaming about riding Veteran Nationals.
Cool.:cool: Good luck.

fergie said:
not a true believer in NP. Yet.

IIRC, you were also somewhat skeptical re. the benefits of training and racing with a powermeter, and yet here you are. I therefore predict it will only be a matter of time until you, too, see the light. :D