Rack and mudguard stays on same bolt

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben Mack, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. In article <[email protected]>, M-gineering
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > I've seen frames where the RH mounting point was moved up to make room
    > for a redesigned replacable derailleurhanger. Ofcourse nobody bothered
    > to update the drawing for the lefthand part

    Ah. /That/ makes sense, in a nonsensical kind of way.

    Like Kant, it is my wish to create my own individual epistemology. But I
    also wish to find out what is for pudding.

  2. Dave Larrington wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Günther Schwarz
    > ([email protected]) wrote:
    >> Ben Mack wrote:
    >> > While I'm on the subject, I discovered that the frame holes are
    >> > about 10mm higher on one side than the other, which tilts the rack
    >> > to one side. A bit annoying, means I have to grind a slot in the
    >> > rack stay.

    >> Is this a frame suitable for mounting a rear disk brake? If so, these
    >> frames are sometimes quite odd-shaped for giving clearing for a rack
    >> and the disk caliper.

    > My Trek 4300 frame is like this, and that's not even disc-compatible!
    > It has got some odd holes on the nearside chainstay/seatstay junction,
    > but they're not spaced to fit any disc brake caliper made of man.

    Might be for some strange stand specific for this frame.

    Günther - just guessing

  3. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Ben Mack wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, M-gineering
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>I've seen frames where the RH mounting point was moved up to make room
    >>for a redesigned replacable derailleurhanger. Ofcourse nobody bothered
    >>to update the drawing for the lefthand part

    > Mmm, it is the RH one that is higher...

    I have a similar setup with offset holes on my bike. I bought a very sturdy
    Nimrod rack with adjustable legs from the nice Mr Hobbs at the Carmarthen
    LBS that fits both rigidly and level. I can see no reason why it wouldn't
    be able to support a child seat.

    --
    Regards
    Alex

  4. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Ben Mack <[email protected]> writes:

    >Trying to mount a rack (EX1) and full mudguards. There is only one bolt
    >hole on the rear axle carrier (or whatever it's called), so both have to
    >go on the same bolt. The mudguard stays go inside the rack stay
    >(otherwise I have to twist the stays round each other). So I end up with
    >the rack stay cantilevered out on the end of the bolt, because of the
    >mudguard stay thickness. Also I cannot tighten the bolt much 'cos the
    >mudguard stay eyelet starts to open.

    >Is there another way to tackle this?

    Have you tried if there's enough space inside the frame for the mudguard
    stays?
    So long bolt, from inside out mudguard, frame, rack.

    Roos

  5. Ben Mack

    Ben Mack Guest

  6. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Ben Mack wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, citizen142
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >Take a long bolt and insert it from the inside of the frame outwards.
    > >Place the rack on the bolt, add washer, add nut, lock tight, place
    > >another washer on top of the nut, add mudguard stays, add washer, add
    > >nut, or indeed at this state I add two nuts. Cut off surplus bolt with
    > >hacksaw and clean with file.

    > I did wonder about that. However if I put the mudguard stay outside the
    > rack stay, I have to twist the mudguard stay around the rack stay, messy
    > and will probably rattle.

    If it's the typical rear mudguard (SKS etc) then try removing one half
    of the mudguard stays - i.e. cut off one leg of the "V" about 10mm past
    the fitting - so that you only have the rearward facing part left. Then
    fit the mudguard stay OVER the rack stay. Use a small washer to stop
    the mudguard stay spreading.

    druidh