Rack and trailer to fit a Rans Vivo

> Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry groceries. Second which
> trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help appreciated.

If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with an
articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry groceries. Second which
> > trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help appreciated.
>
> If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with an
> articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.
I use a underseat rack and Areotrunk combination from Angletech. The Aerotrunk straps on the back
of the seat and holds a bunch of light tuoring stuff, and the underseat panniers carry the
heavier things. Try Kelvin at Angletech....800-793-3038. Xyed Rack is what your wanting.

Cletus Lee wrote:

> > Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry groceries. Second which
> > trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help appreciated.
>
> If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with an
> articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.

Some do have rear pannier racks however. The HPVelotechnik Speedmachine is one example and the
Earth Cycles Dragonflyer [1] is another. The Dragonflyer also has a post for mounting a seatpost
trunk rack. [2]

[1] < http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df10.jpg >
[2] < http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg >

I use the X-Eyed midship rack. You can see pics of it mounted on the Vivo at
http://community.webshots.com/user/david_luecke. It's availabe from The Hub ( [email protected] ) .
The people there are very cool and deserve your business.

My old roomie from college has a rear rack mounted.....I don't remember what brand, but it is a
pretty standard rack. He has some very long steel attachment plates that extend down to where the
lower seat post bolts are, I think. I will see if I can get him to send you a pic.

--
David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island, Florida USA

john paul downey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry groceries. Second which
> trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help appreciated.

I have a Wike trailer that I use to haul the kids around. It attaches to the rear wheel
quick-release, so it could fit on the Vivo. I don't put it on my Vivo, though. The problem is I
have trouble getting up some of the hills around here in the lowest gears on the Vivo, and I'd
never get up them with a trailer. However, my experience is that if you are carrying serious cargo
(i.e. 60 lbs of kids) the trailer is a lot easier and safer than strapping stuff onto the frame of
your bike, so if your Vivo can't go where you need to go with a trailer, you won't make it with
panniers either.

I would think that on a suspended bike like the Vivo, you would want to attach a trailer to the
frame and not the axle. The problem is figuring out what points on the frame are strong enough. My
Wike trailer will fit on the Vivo if I attach it to the bolt that holds the seat post instead of the
axle, but I have no idea if that bolt is strong enough to take the loads of a trailer. There are
trailers that attach to the seat post, and the Vivo has a seat post, but it doesn't look like it was
meant for horizontal loads.

There are pictures of a RANS rack at http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Touring_Racks.htm but no info on
buying them. Nick Keenan