rack mounting on my raleigh lenton

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Thurston, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm finally getting around to mounting a rear rack on my 1950 Raleigh Lenton Sport. It also has a
    set of fenders on it, so the bolt and nut combination that is there is too short to attach both
    parts to the dropout.

The problem is that I don't have a longer whitworth bolt.

Any opinions on using an SAE bolt as a mounting "stud" (run through the dropout eyelet from the
    inside) with a nut on the outside?

John Thurston Juneau, Alaska

Tags:

2. S. Anderson

S. Anderson Guest

"John Thurston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm finally getting around to mounting a rear rack on my 1950 Raleigh Lenton Sport. It also has a
    > set of fenders on it, so the bolt and nut combination that is there is too short to attach both
    > parts to the dropout.
    >
    > The problem is that I don't have a longer whitworth bolt.
    >
    > Any opinions on using an SAE bolt as a mounting "stud" (run through the dropout eyelet from the
    > inside) with a nut on the outside?
    >
    > John Thurston Juneau, Alaska

Yup, done that plenty of times. There can sometimes be clearance issues on the inside of the dropout
    with the chain/cogs depending on how thick the bolt head is. Also, I've taken longer bolts and
    simply cut them down with a hacksaw and filed them flat so they don't go too far through the
    dropout. This is a little more work, but it does the trick nicely as well. And remember, always use
    loctite on these fasteners (blue removable).

Cheers,

Scott..

3. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"John Thurston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm finally getting around to mounting a rear rack on my 1950 Raleigh Lenton Sport. It also has a
    > set of fenders on it, so the bolt and nut combination that is there is too short to attach both
    > parts to the dropout.
    >
    > The problem is that I don't have a longer whitworth bolt.
    >
    > Any opinions on using an SAE bolt as a mounting "stud" (run through the dropout eyelet from the
    > inside) with a nut on the outside?

The closest SAE is a 10-32. The closest metric is an M5-0.8

There was a nice Whitworth stud used on Raleighs in the middle 1980s with four threads in the frame
    then Whitworth 1/8" six-sided wrench flats, extending to another 3/4" of threads and a Whitworth nut
    on the outside. They held the oem mudguards with plenty of room for a Pletscher. Those would look
    very nice on your Lenton. Hunt around for a Raleigh with them.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.