rack mounting on tabless bike

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by EpiphFreddy, Dec 7, 2006.

1. EpiphFreddy

EpiphFreddy New Member

Hi, I am considering commuting to work and was thinking I would turn my 1998 Litespeed Catalyst into a commuter. I have a seatpost mount but was wanting to put a different type of rack on the bike to get the center of gravity lower. I was wanting to put a saddle bag type rack on, but I don't have tabs on the frame. Does anyone know of a way to install something to the seat tubes for attachment of the rack or maybe some way to connect between the skewer and drop outs?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You do have a couple of options ...

With dropouts that are open (similar to a cast steel dropout), Blackburn used to sell a plastic plug (similar to a reduced size Velox bar end plug) which held the bolt that secured the ends of the rack's legs. No doubt, you can fabricate/MAKE something like this, yourself ...

Blackburn also used to sell vinyl coated U-clips which were intended to be used at the upper portion of the seat stays (that is, near the brake bridge) to secure their 4-point racks. You could use something similar on the lower part of the seat stay to secure the rack's legs if your dropouts are solid.

3. E.A. Webb

E.A. Webb New Member

Another option is to use P-Clamps (also called insulated pipe clamps). They can be found for small money ($1.5-$2 US) at hardware stores.
    [​IMG]
    I used them to connect my rack and fenders on my commuter because my internal hub blocked the eyelets on my frame.