Rack on v-rex for tall rider

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rex Kerr, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    I recently bought a used v-rex and am trying to figure out where I might mount a rack... I was
    picturing something like the setup in these pictures:

    http://www.calhouncycle.com/vrex.html

    The problem is, I have my seat almost all the way back, as well as reclined much more than these
    pictures. I've been thinking that I could make it fit, but there are a few problems I'm
    encountering:

    1) I'd have to cut off the portion of the rack that rises at the front
    2) I'd have to deal with interference from the seat supports

    Any suggestions for dealing with this would be appreciated. I'm sure I can make something work, but
    pointers to save headache would be nice! Is the RANS rack worth the extra cost? How about their
    kickstand?

    Thanks! -Rex

    http://www.twowheels.us/

    Tags:

  2. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:31:20 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I recently bought a used v-rex and am trying to figure out where I might mount a rack... I was
    >picturing something like the setup in these pictures:
    >
    >http://www.calhouncycle.com/vrex.html
    >

    >Thanks! -Rex

    hmmmm, If only there was a V-David so I could have MY name immortalized :)

    I have mine as in your picture but was able to fit the rack in between the two seat stays. It
    would not mater how far you reclined, but the more you recline the more space you take up on TOP
    of your rack.

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I recently bought a used v-rex and am trying to figure out where I might mount a rack... I was
    > picturing something like the setup in these pictures:
    >
    > http://www.calhouncycle.com/vrex.html
    >
    > The problem is, I have my seat almost all the way back, as well as reclined much more than these
    > pictures. I've been thinking that I could make it fit, but there are a few problems I'm
    > encountering:
    >
    > 1) I'd have to cut off the portion of the rack that rises at the front
    > 2) I'd have to deal with interference from the seat supports
    >
    > Any suggestions for dealing with this would be appreciated. I'm sure I can make something work,
    > but pointers to save headache would be nice! Is the RANS rack worth the extra cost? How about
    > their kickstand?

    Here's an option that I used before I got an HT rack from RANS:
    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/default.cfm?main=JanddRackMountOnStratus.htm

    The X-Eyed Midship rack if available is best since the weight of the panniers is not behind the rear
    axle. The HT rack works great for panniers, but you lose the rack platform if you have much of a
    recline to the seat.

    Here are some photos of the HT rack on a Bacchetta Giro
    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Giro.cfm On my Stratus, the seat stays fit inside the HT rack.

    http://www.clee.org/images/Loaded_rack.jpg

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Dave Miller wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:31:20 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote: hmmmm, If only there was a
    > V-David so I could have MY name immortalized :)

    :D Yup, it had my name on it! It knew it was mine!

    > I have mine as in your picture but was able to fit the rack in between the two seat stays. It
    > would not mater how far you reclined, but the more you recline the more space you take up on TOP
    > of your rack.

    In the next post I see pictures of a Jandd rack (Thanks Cletus) that changed my perception a little
    bit. For some reason I was thinking that the vertical support (from the braze on, up to the top
    rails) was further back on the rack causing the rack to be closer to the seat-back. His pictures
    show exactly what I had in mind, and also point out that there apparently is more room back there
    for the rack than I thought.

    Thanks to both of you! -Rex

  5. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Rex Kerr wrote:
    > In the next post I see pictures of a Jandd rack (Thanks Cletus) that changed my perception a
    > little bit. For some reason I was thinking that the vertical support (from the braze on, up to the
    > top rails) was further back on the rack causing the rack to be closer to the seat-back.

    > His pictures show exactly what I had in mind, and also point out that there apparently is more
    > room back there for the rack than I thought.

    Oh, oops... looking again... my seat supports are almost exactly vertical and I'm noticing that
    these stays go forward at a noticable angle. Maybe I wouldn't have quite that much room. :( HRm...
    guess I'll have to go to the LBS and hold some racks up to it and see.

  6. Morgan Jones

    Morgan Jones Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Here are some photos of the HT rack on a Bacchetta Giro
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Giro.cfm On my Stratus, the seat stays fit inside the HT rack.

    Rex,

    The picture of the HT rack on the Giro is more confusing than helpful to you. In the pictures, it's
    not clear why the HT rack is any different than a Blackburn rack.

    On a fully reclined V-Rex, the sprint braces (the bars that hold the seat back up) will go right
    through the middle of the HT rack - the rack is extra wide to allow this. The rack attaches directly
    to the braces, allowing the rack to be positioned forward of the braces. This arrangement limits how
    wide an item you can place on top of the rack, but allows two panniers to be positioned relatively
    balanced over the rear hub. This is very important on a fully reclined V-Rex with a tall rider as
    the front wheel will tend to lift off the pavement on very steep hills.

    Morgan.

  7. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Morgan Jones wrote:
    > On a fully reclined V-Rex, the sprint braces (the bars that hold the seat back up) will go right
    > through the middle of the HT rack - the rack is extra wide to allow this.

    Thanks for the additional information. Yes, I imagined something where the rack was wider than the
    sprint braces (thanks for the term, I've been searching for a term for those!) to allow the panniers
    to mount to the side unobstructed. This wouldn't allow my CyclePro panniers to mount to the rack
    (they hang over the top), but would allow for two individual units to mount correctly.

    Quick Q. A few people have referred to one rack as an "HT" rack. Is this the rack that RANS sells?

    > over the rear hub. This is very important on a fully reclined V-Rex with a tall rider as the front
    > wheel will tend to lift off the pavement on very steep hills.

    Fully reclined? Yikes... I'm not quite there yet. :) Still getting used to balancing while laying
    on my back!

    -Rex

  8. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest