Rack suggestions please

tsniff

Apr 30, 2004
I haven't looked in a long time and now there are so many different racks to choose from. I just don't know what is best these days.

I am wondering if you all can give me some recommendations for my 96 Infiniti. I want a top rack that is lasting, has some options and is reasonable in price. Don't want to pay for the name. I'd like a rack that can be used for bikes as well as other stuff.

I did mean to add that security is a big concern. I travel a bit and now and then I would need to leave the bike on the rack so it would need to be as secure as possible.

Yakima, you get what you pay for.

tsniff said:
I did mean to add that security is a big concern. I travel a bit and now and then I would need to leave the bike on the rack so it would need to be as secure as possible.

tsniff said:
I haven't looked in a long time and now there are so many different racks to choose from. I just don't know what is best these days.

I am wondering if you all can give me some recommendations for my 96 Infiniti. I want a top rack that is lasting, has some options and is reasonable in price. Don't want to pay for the name. I'd like a rack that can be used for bikes as well as other stuff.

I bought a Yakima Mighty Joe 3, which was recalled after owning it for 3 months. Now I have a Saris Bones 3. It is little pricey compared to others, but I think it is the best. I'd recommend it. Read about it here:
Saris Bones 3

30_0326.jpg

I've been very pleased with Thule's roof mounted system - the Velo Vise tray for the bike is easy to use and holds the bike very tight - I've been disappointed with Thule's aluminum light weight individual wheel holder fork - I think it's called the "wheel on" - that also mounts to the load bars - instead I put the front wheel(s) in a Cordura wheel bag that I got mail order from Excel in Colorado and carry it either in the trunk or back seat; and Thule sells small cylinder locks for the Velo Vise and the load bars - they're not foolproof for determined thieves but are better than nothing.