Racks?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gravelmuncher, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Went looking around Orange today for some roof racks (mainly to keep the Trek out of the boot) but couldn't find any to fit the Magna. All the while I was thinking I should have asked some riders what they use to drive their bikes around - roof racks or towbar jobs? and which brand?

    ~j~

    Tags:

  2. mikeg

    mikeg New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    try the following websites to help look for the right model ( and price) for your model magna

    http://www.roofrackcity.com.au/

    http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

    http://www.rola.com.au/

    currently repco have 15% off Rola Roof Racks and accessories
    see http://www.repcoshop.com.au/ASP/Catalogue/CatPage10.asp#Start

    I have Rola Racks on VT Commodore Wagon, with a Rola fork mount with extension (BCF2) and Thule 511 using a fit kit for Rola Rack. Even though the Thule is lockable, where rola and rhino aren't, the thule does not fix as firmly to the rack, and has some sideways flex at the fork end with the bike mounted. better for lighter bikes. :(

    Also have a fold down rear tow bar mount bbike rack, on loan from a friend, which usually only put the two younger kids 20" bikes on, but rather awkward with a wagon, especially when travelling. Will probably look at a fold down rack type from Rhino which fit larger diameter frame tubing depending on what bikes the younger kids get when they grow out of the 20" bikes.

    It is sometimes easier for shot trips to just put the two small bikes one on top of the other in the back of the wagon instead of mucking about with the rear rack, and two more on the roof.

    Be aware, even though fit kits can fit one brand of mount to another brand of rack, they may not as good a fit or firm fixing to the rack. eg thule 511 on rola racks. more flex than the rola fork mount on rola rack :(

    Look at Rhino and Thule for roof mount models for whole bike mounting, front wheel attached, but these will increase the vehicle height even more. so watch out for low garages, carports, carparks and trees. Also smother driving, and avoiding throwing the car around corners when bikes are on the roof.

    mike

  3. mikeg

    mikeg New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Also there are other types the mount to the body of the car which clamp onto the boot or hatch.

    also try auto store, as well as the local bike shops and and the likes of K-Mart.

    There are many varieties of rear carriers with different bike clamping methods. some the bike just sits on two bars, and you strap the bike on, or some have clamps. and capacities of from two, three or four bikes.

    mike

  4. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Thanks a lot for your insights mikeg, i'll look into your suggestions right away. You see, i'd heard mixed opinions regarding roof mounts including one where such large amounts of wind could actually blow the grease out of the headset - and when raining the wind can force water into bearings(???)
    With these in mind I was considering a towbar mount, but just last week on a trip to Woolongong, and old lady ran up the arse of the car at a set of traffic lights, and imagining what my pride and joy would look like had it been hovering there sends shivers up my spine.

    Thanks again....~j~

  5. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Thanks a lot for your insights mikeg, i'll look into your suggestions right away. You see, i'd heard mixed opinions regarding roof mounts including one where such large amounts of wind could actually blow the grease out of the headset - and when raining the wind can force water into bearings(???)
    With these in mind I was considering a towbar mount, but just last week on a trip to Woolongong, and old lady ran up the arse of the car at a set of traffic lights, and imagining what my pride and joy would look like had it been hovering there sends shivers up my spine.

    Thanks again....~j~

  6. mikeg

    mikeg New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    It hadn't occurred to be me about grease and water in bearings,
    but I have travelled to Port Macquarie and Narooma (south of Batemans Bay) from Sydney. For the longer distances, I remove the Seat & seatpost (and seatpost clamp as it easily comes off without the seatpost, so I don't lose it), from the bike. This reduces height and posible wind loading.

    I generally drive a little slower (~5kph) than the speed limits, and try to get my wife to do the same on the longer trips.

    I have tried things like glad wrap, aluminium (cooking) foil or plastic shopping bags to try to keep the grips and brake/gear leavers clean from insects and bugs. The plastics tended to get shredded form the wind. you could use something similar like a thicker plastic sheet folded around the headset, with punched and laced around the top and down tubes if it really is a concern to keep water/wind out of the headset bearings.

    Something similar like a fairing could be done around the bottom bracket and/or rear wheel cassette/hub if you desire.

    mike

  7. dadkeepup

    dadkeepup New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2003
    there are thousadns of racks around...I went for a macrac 3 bike carrier from St Vinneys...yes I am cheap...but I have since invested in an aXsarm after getting a pamphlet at a park in Sydney...bit expensive but well worth the $ if you have a wagon or hatch
    www.axsarm.com.au. Good luck

  8. Md

    Md Guest

    "gravelmuncher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > mikeg wrote:
    > > Also there are other types the mount to the body of the car which
    clamp
    > > onto the boot or hatch. also try auto store, as well as the local bike shops and and the likes
    > > of K-Mart. There are many varieties of rear carriers with different bike clamping methods.
    > > some the bike just sits on two bars, and you strap the bike
    on,
    > > or some have clamps. and capacities of from two, three or four bikes. mike
    >

    > Thanks a lot for your insights mikeg, i'll look into your suggestions right away. You see, i'd
    > heard mixed opinions regarding roof mounts including one where such large amounts of wind could
    > actually blow the grease out of the headset - and when raining the wind can force water into
    > bearings(???) With these in mind I was considering a towbar mount, but just last week on a trip
    > to Woolongong, and old lady ran up the arse of the car at a set of traffic lights, and imagining
    > what my pride and joy would look like had it been hovering there sends shivers up my spine.

    I have driven multiple trips >1500km with bikes on roof in forkmounts, have not had such issues.
    Even with extremely heavy rain most of the way from Sydney to Adelaide.

    The only problem is the amount of bugs that get everywhere, and hassle of removing bikes when
    arriving at some motels with low overhanging arches on drive ways (many of ones in Mildura) There
    are BikeBras available online, a neoprene sling that protects bikes from the elements. Not sure if
    avail in Aus

    I have seen a rear ender with family bikes on the back - looked like on way to holiday. Bikes on the
    rear are also in closer reach to little hands .....

    However all said about the elements, I am referring to MTB which may have much better seals on
    headset or other bearings

    > Thanks again....~j~
    >

    > --
    > "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race." - H G
    Wells.

    > life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

  9. bikebitboy

    bikebitboy New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    Rola roof racks tend to work wuite well, and are a little more aesthetic than Thule.

    More importantly, if you are worried about keeping your bike clean on trips - worth investing in one of these bad boys http://www.cbike.com/scicon.htm

    Keep riding...